5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

GM Sharing Map Question

Hello Everyone,

Still learning Fantasy Grounds Unity, but both I my group love it so far. However, I had a question about whether our GM can share maps and Images with the players. Right now, our GM instructs the players on what map to load from the Images tab. He shares images on Skype with us. Is there a quick way for our GM to just load the map for all of the players to see? We have tried to figure it out, but we seem to be at a impasse. Btw, our GM has given us permission to see the maps, but when he tries to share the maps with us, they wont load for us to see-again, we have to load them ourselves.

Anyway, thanks for all of the support everyone. It is greatly appreciated.

Have a great week!

The GM should be able to right click on the image they want to share. In the radial menu that pops up, there is the option to share the map with everyone. If you want to share something with a single player, drag the link for the image to the player's picture in the top left of the screen and drop it.

Keep in mind, if the images are large it may take a while for the images to appear.

When an image is first shared it should pop up for all the players when it is shared.

If the image was preloaded or if it was shared in a previous session or the player closed it during a session the player will find it in their images list. During a session the DM can right click and select share and if the image has already been shared but was closed it should pop up again for the players.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thank you for responding to the post. I will let my GM know. Hopefully it works. Have a good one everyone.

P.S. I will let everyone know if it works.
    Last edited by Ulton; February 26th, 2021 at 01:51.

Ok, we we able to share images and maps. Also, if GM dropped the icon for the map or image onto the players portrait, the map became visible to that particular player. So thanks again for all of the excellent knowledge. Just one last question, instead of the players loading the image/map from the share file list, can the GM do something the makes the map/image visible to everyone in the game at once. Right now, our GM drags the map to his screen and only he is able to see it. We then go to the images section and load the map that he tells us to load. Is there a command as a GM to just drag to his screen, and it it pops up for everyone to see/use?

Thank you again.

Blog Entries
    If the gm opens an image and then right clicks > share, the image will pop open for all players.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thank you again the the comments. I really appreciate it. For some odd reason, when the GM shares the map, it is not revealing/displaying the map to the other players. The players have to load the map for themselves. No problem, it is just a bug of something. Have fun everyone and thank you for the positive feedback. Great forum!

If the GM sharing the map doesn't pop the image up on the player screen, ask the GM to drag the link from the map (after sharing) to the chat window - which will give a link the players can click to open the image. This is quicker than going to the images list and finding the image. If it's an image the player might close and need to re-open, I'd recommend that the players make use of the hotkey slots at the bottom of the desktop to store links to frequently used images and other records.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Before sharing the map, the GM needs to make sure it is set to play mode in the map tools. Ideally, they should add of all the player tokens from the combat tracker next. After making sure the player tokens are in the correct starting point of the map, then it should just be a matter of right click and share image to all players.

Quote Originally Posted by Fear Grounds View Post
    Before sharing the map, the GM needs to make sure it is set to play mode in the map tools. Ideally, they should add of all the player tokens from the combat tracker next. After making sure the player tokens are in the correct starting point of the map, then it should just be a matter of right click and share image to all players.
    I wasn't aware of this. Is this a requirement or best practice documented somewhere? Or is it a workaround for a current issue? I would think that if there is a requirement to only share when in play mode that the share right-click options wouldn't be available in other modes (which it is).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information