FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 4 of 6 First ... 23456 Last
    Hey rhollander10! Hope you are enjoying the AV series so far. Lighting should definitely be in, but in examining the module, I don't see it I can see it throughout the development version, which is the latest, but it appears it hasn't hit the live servers yet.

We may have to wait until next week to see it active though, sadly. When that happens, we can revisit what methods allow players to update the maps without interfering with things like current token placements, etc. (If someone in the know has information, feel free to hop into this discussion - I want to say there's a way to do this, maybe with "revert", but I honestly would have to investigate this myself.)
    Ultimate License Owner since 2011 and FG GM since 2008
    Game Systems: 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, RoleMaster, C&C, Pathfinder 2, Old School Essentials

Home Page: ShadeRaven Sorceries (Blog, Fantasy & Campaign Stories, Cat Tales, and more)

If you revert a map, everything resets to the default saved in the module. Player tokens (and all others) will be removed from the map.

I could be blind or missing something, but are the backgrounds included somewhere? I've looked in the player's guide and main module of the first adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by TopHatG View Post
    I could be blind or missing something, but are the backgrounds included somewhere? I've looked in the player's guide and main module of the first adventure.
    They're in the "Abomination Vault Player's Guide". Not to be confused with the "Abomination Vaults 1 - Player's Resource".
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    They're in the "Abomination Vault Player's Guide". Not to be confused with the "Abomination Vaults 1 - Player's Resource".
    Found it! So Blind! Thanks for the quick reply.

have a question as a DM running the vault. in the first module i found one encounter really over balanced or almost impossible for the party I'm running to win even being 3rd level going to 4th soon my the level counter. it seem a room on the 3red floor, which is C30 has the encounter with the wood Golem and is a level rank 6. this encounter and not realizing it until the party encountered it won win it even with the magical item and powers they have. if you haven't looked at the stats for it, it would be a challenge for even 5 or 6 level character. we stopped the fight cause i didn't want to kill the party off. so any suggestions on if this was something that should have been nerfed down and wasn't or did the creators of it not care or know about the monster power level. and has any one else found this a problem in the module? also can you send any suggestion on how to deal with it, i don't mind a challenging encounter but not a impossible one for the party.

Quote Originally Posted by ptchicuorka View Post
    have a question as a DM running the vault. in the first module i found one encounter really over balanced or almost impossible for the party I'm running to win even being 3rd level going to 4th soon my the level counter. it seem a room on the 3red floor, which is C30 has the encounter with the wood Golem and is a level rank 6. this encounter and not realizing it until the party encountered it won win it even with the magical item and powers they have. if you haven't looked at the stats for it, it would be a challenge for even 5 or 6 level character. we stopped the fight cause i didn't want to kill the party off. so any suggestions on if this was something that should have been nerfed down and wasn't or did the creators of it not care or know about the monster power level. and has any one else found this a problem in the module? also can you send any suggestion on how to deal with it, i don't mind a challenging encounter but not a impossible one for the party.
    I doubt the creators didn't care or didn't know about the power level of the encounter. The creature in that encounter is level 6 - which is a severe encounter for a party of 4 third level PCs - this is what the encounter is listed as in the adventure: "Severe 3" - so the designers were aware that it was a difficult encounter.

The creature in that encounter has some interesting defensive abilities which can make it difficult for standard approaches to do damage - I'm being vague to try to avoid spoilers. I don't know how your players approached the encounter, but just wading in and attacking, attacking, attacking is not a great approach. Using actions to Recall Knowledge about the creature would probably give some good ideas as to how to do significant damage to it. If the players don't have that capability then they need to try to disengage and use different tactics. The creature can definitely be defeated by 3rd level characters, they just have to use all of the resources available to them (knowledge as well as offense) and retreat if they're unable - the encounter text says the creature doesn't pursue out of the room, so this tells me that the designers were aware this could be a difficult fight and have made it possible for the PCs to leave (the creature doesn't have attacks of opportunity) and regroup to try later, or just move on if the creature is beyond them.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Trenloe is spot on there. First, that unless it's a clear-cut error (such as a typo or room # mislabel, etc) or something that got errata later on, I can't alter the content. Unfortunately, there are a few cases throughout the APs that require a little.... cautious or different approach to overcoming.

It's probably why it's almost always a good idea to peruse any published adventure before running them. Not just to have familiarity with the story and plot points, but to catch things that don't suit the group of players that a GM will be taking through it. In one of my campaigns, those players are not so interested in long drawn out social encounters or parlays, so I tailor the adventures to better fit their personalities. I always try to keep in the forefront of my thoughts is that the RPG is supposed to be Fun, above all else, so trying to circle a square just because that's how it was written is a disservice to everyone involved.

Thus, I'd consider how your group would likely approach an encounter like that, what might make it interesting, challenging, but exciting for them. If that means nerfing it, I'd go right ahead and start with at least the WEAK adjustment (see the rules here) or consider other avenues that will engage (such as maybe the creature in question actually bottleneck's itself early on, pushing characters out of the room while not pursuing or has taken its orders to guard very literally, so won't even use splinter volley against creatures beyond the room) and even surprise the players (perhaps it has a Frankenstein moment if it sees the glow of the furnace down the hall, shying away from even the sight of that fiery light and moving to a corner that breaks visibility).

Hopefully, that'll help! As always, feel free to come back for more ideas or even what you ended up doing to make it work for you and your group!
    Ultimate License Owner since 2011 and FG GM since 2008
    Game Systems: 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, RoleMaster, C&C, Pathfinder 2, Old School Essentials

Home Page: ShadeRaven Sorceries (Blog, Fantasy & Campaign Stories, Cat Tales, and more)

I gave my group the following disclaimer before we started (very slightly adjusted):

1. You don’t necessarily have the explore/fight everything on a given level (though maybe don’t go down – or up – the very first staircase you find). Even though apparently a number of encounters had to be cut, book 1 of AV has significantly more encounters than book 1 of AoA. This doesn’t mean that fight is always the only solution (a surprising amount of variety) but it should signal you that 100% a level may not be intended. Exploring a bit may give you additional benefits but it’s difficult to tell in advance whether it’s worth the risk. This ties into the next point.

2. While the different levels of a megadungeon may give you an indication of the difficulty of an encounter, this does not mean that “open door, kill thing” does work with all encounters at that level. As it does have some sandbox elements, it’s entirely possible to get in over your heads – you may not be able to win all fights given a certain level, equipment and tactics. There are no “safe for levels XY signs” on the doors. If you choose the door with Rovagug, not any money behind it, it may be better to run rather than fight. Any door you open may give you benefits (items, information, …) but it may also expose you to unneeded danger. So in the worst case scenario the party TPKs because they drown in Rovagug’s toilet – which would hold no real treasure whatsoever, even of the party somehow defeats the dangers of the toilet!
    Last edited by stephan_; September 6th, 2021 at 11:50.

My group and I are thinking about playing Pathfinder 2e. I was planning on running the Abomination Vaults for them as our first AP. Does the AP modules come with the Player's Guide for the AP? I don't see it listed in the store content page for this AP...

Thread Information