FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Price Check for Yawning Portal Campaign

I wanted to make sure I understood what it would cost to run a Yawning Portal campaign on Fantasy Grounds.

My players would be Demo players. I would want all of the player options available to them. The campaign will probably take a couple of years (so it would be better to purchase a license than to subscribe). I have physical copies of all books.

• Ulitmate License: $150
    • 5E D & D Essentials: $203
    • Yawning Portal: $30

Total: $383

Assuming that I don't need the Monster Manual or Dungeon Master data for the game I can removing them from the Essentials Bundle for a total of $360.

Is this correct? Am I including everything I need. Is there anything I can exclude?

Hi,

Unless you really need all available options right now, I don't see the need for the 'Essentials Bundle'. It'll certainly future-proof your experience going forward, but to start playing I'd be tempted to go with the Fantasy Ground Unity licence and the Tales From the Yawning Portal adventure. I think I'm right in saying that adventures include all necessary monster/NPC stat block etc., and the FGU licence includes the 5e SRD basic rules. So, as I said, as long as you're not desperate for all options to be available now I think you'd be fine with that. To expand your player's options, but not break the bank, get the Player's Handbook to expand your character options from the SRD/Basic rule book.

Just my opinion, others may differ, or I could be wrong...

Cheers,

Simon
    Last edited by Ludd_G; February 18th, 2021 at 19:22.

Thank you. I read through that.

What would be missing if I only bought the Ultimate License and The Yawning Portal? I don't quite understand what features the PHB and/or Essentials books add.

I own the physical books (as well as most of my players) and all of the books on DnDBeyond. Could we create the characters outside of Fantasy Grounds, hand enter the character information in Fantasy Grounds and have the same functionality?

Blog Entries
    So without the FG versions of the books (PHB, Tasha's, SCAG, etc) any of the races, classes, abilities, spells not included in the basic rules or SRD would have to be entered manually (typed in). The existing automation etc can still be achieved, but it takes someone to input them, either as a DM entering them into a development campaign and creating their own module, or by the DM or player entering them directly onto the character sheet(s).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

As a baseline you'd want the license the PHB and the campaign module. The complete bundle will add in many race, class and background options as well as the ability to change out monsters and use the tables, treasures and other stuff in the DMG. Basically the bundle will expand considerably your and your players choices. But you only need the PHB and the adventure module.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I guess I'll be that guy... I don't know why you picked Tales of the Yawning Portal but it not the greatest as an adventure path, IMO.

It's not horrible either, but I have reservations about "Dead in Thay" which was a D&D Next (5E) playtest convention module meant to be run simultaneously by different tables in different parts of the dungeon. I found that one tricky to run for a single party. It was converted to home use but its sandboxie (not necessarily a bad thing) so its unpredictable when they will encounter some sub-bosses and if they hit the wrong one when they are still 9th level they may well get wiped.

TYP is good if you want some nostalgia and to revisit those old adventures in 5E, but if you are looking for just a 5E adventure path that was designed to take a 5E party from 1st to 15ish I think you would do better getting a module that was developed that way from the start instead of a bunch of stitched together old converted modules.

That's my two cents, take it for what it's worth...

On the stuff to buy, I agree with the others you probably just need your license, the adventure path and the PH.

Keep in mind if you decide you want to pickup the Essentials later, it will include a discount for already purchased books (in FG). To determine if the PHB and adventure is all you’ll need, you’ll need to determine if you’re going to allow races(sub) or subclasses that are in a book other then the PHB, you’ll probably want to pick those books up as well. They regularly have sales on stuff and a couple big sales a year.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I would go with Ultimate License (Sub if you like), Players Handbook and your choice of Adventure.
    Exactly this here. You can then add on Xanathar's, Tasha's, etc., later, if you players really want access to that stuff. As long as you run the adventure as written, you do not need the DMG and the monster books. If you want to swap out monsters, etc., then you will want those books.

Thread Information