FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    In the previous reports of this specific issue, the users reported that updating to the latest OS updates fixed the issue (including Rosetta updates). This is related to the Rosetta emulation engine in Mac OS not handling Intel-based application signing correctly; and is not something we have any control over.

Regards,
    JPG

that did it! I had thought I was running the latest version, but that was not the case. I updated the OS and I'm all set now, thank you!

Experiencing same issue

I've having the same issue. FG Unity refuses to load and immediately aborts with a Problem Report to Apple, however, FGUpdater will load and run as expected but cannot launch FGUnity.

After scouring this website I discovered this thread and ran with SUDO: it runs as expected. Everything loads.

I have an i9 Intel Mac, so it's not a Rosetta issue. Also, I have verified I have the latest updates to the OS. Currently, I'm on Monterey 12.2.1.
    This is what the FantasyGrounds_Player.log shows when it aborts:

Mono path[0] = '/Applications/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/FantasyGrounds.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed'
    Mono config path = '/Applications/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/FantasyGrounds.app/Contents/MonoBleedingEdge/etc'
    Initialize engine version: 2020.3.11f1 (99c7afb366b3)
    [Subsystems] Discovering subsystems at path /Applications/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/FantasyGrounds.app/Contents/Resources/Data/UnitySubsystems
    GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
    2022-02-14 21:43:35.204 Fantasy Grounds[48791:188018] LG ULTRAWIDE preferred device: AMD Radeon Pro 560X (high power)
    2022-02-14 21:43:35.204 Fantasy Grounds[48791:188018] Metal devices available: 2
    2022-02-14 21:43:35.204 Fantasy Grounds[48791:188018] 0: AMD Radeon Pro 560X (high power)
    2022-02-14 21:43:35.204 Fantasy Grounds[48791:188018] 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (low power)
    2022-02-14 21:43:35.204 Fantasy Grounds[48791:188018] Using device AMD Radeon Pro 560X (high power)
    Initializing Metal device caps: AMD Radeon Pro 560X
    Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
    - Completed reload, in 0.079 seconds
    2022-02-14 21:43:35.415 Fantasy Grounds[48791:188018] CAMetalLayer ignoring invalid setDrawableSize width=26880.000000 height=1862.000000
    2022-02-14 21:43:35.416 Fantasy Grounds[48791:188018] CAMetalLayer ignoring invalid setDrawableSize width=0.000000 height=0.000000
    -[MTLTextureDescriptorInternal validateWithDevice:]:1325: failed assertion `Texture Descriptor Validation
    MTLTextureDescriptor has width of zero.
    MTLTextureDescriptor has height of zero.
    '

Update: I created a new user and was able to run FGUnity with it. During my testing, I did experience some issues like fieldson did, however, I believe those issues were the result of installing/re-installing the app. After running chmod those issues disappeared.

As far as I can tell, the issue seems to be with MTLTextureDescriptor and/or an object that is tied to the user account. FG will bomb if the size is too large or too small. I don't know how to clear it out. I've removed all SmiteWorks folders, like fieldson, and re-installed the app, but the issue persists.
    Last edited by bosshappy; February 15th, 2022 at 03:23. Reason: Added log

It looks like it is trying to set the drawable width size to 26880; which is many multiple monitors wide and probably causing an issue with the Unity engine. Are you using some sort of virtual desktop or stretching across multiple monitors?

You also might be able to reset by making sure FG is completely closed and deleting:
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.SmiteWorks.FantasyGrounds.plist

This is something within the Unity game engine itself; so not something we have any control over from the application level.

Regards,
    JPG

SOLVED (At least it worked for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    It looks like it is trying to set the drawable width size to 26880; which is many multiple monitors wide and probably causing an issue with the Unity engine. Are you using some sort of virtual desktop or stretching across multiple monitors?

You also might be able to reset by making sure FG is completely closed and deleting:
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.SmiteWorks.FantasyGrounds.plist

This is something within the Unity game engine itself; so not something we have any control over from the application level.

Regards,
    JPG
    To answer your question. I have a 15" MacBook Pro and a 35" monitor. When I'm running FG for my on-line game, I use the monitor. There's another game, in which, we meet in person. In those cases I use just the MacBook. When I switch between the big monitor and the laptop monitor I have to adjust the scale of the game or it's very difficult to read. This issue occurred when I started FG for my on-line game and adjusted the UI setting for my big monitor.

After a bit more fiddling I got it working again. This is for all the Mac owners out there. I'm writing this from memory so I'm hoping I captured everything correctly. Here are the steps:
    1. Make a backup of your campaign, module, extensions, portraits and tokens
      1. Open Terminal and type the following from your home directory
      2. mkdir FGBACKUP (or whatever you want to name your backup directory)
      3. cp -R ~/Library/Preferences/SmiteWorks/campaigns ~/FGBACKUP/
      4. cp -R ~/Library/Preferences/SmiteWorks/extensions ~/FGBACKUP/
      5. cp -R ~/Library/Preferences/SmiteWorks/modules ~/FGBACKUP/
      6. cp -R ~/Library/Preferences/SmiteWorks/portraits ~/FGBACKUP/
      7. cp -R ~/Library/Preferences/SmiteWorks/tokens ~/FGBACKUP/
    2. Delete the following (I'm assuming you're going to need SUDO for some of the commands)
      1. rm -f ~/Smiteworks
      2. rm -f ~/Library/Preferences/unity.SmiteWorks.Fantasy Grounds.plist
      3. rm -f ~/Library/Preferences/unity.SmiteWorks.Fantasy Grounds Updater.plist
      4. sudo rm -f /Applications/SmiteWorks
      5. sudo rm -f /Library/Preferences/SmiteWorks
      6. sudo rm -f /Applications/SmiteWorks
      7. Open Finder. Go to the "Applications" and delete the "Fantasy Grounds" link.
    3. REBOOT -- DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP
    4. Download and reinstall Fantasy Grounds
    5. Restore your FG library
      1. cp -R ~/FGBACKUP/* ~/Library/Preferences/SmiteWorks/

NOTE: In hindsight, I think the issue is the plist files are being held in the user account memory, therefore, the fix is possibly as simple as: shutdown FG, remove the plist files, then reboot.

Thank you Moon Wizard!
    Last edited by bosshappy; February 15th, 2022 at 13:29. Reason: Update post

I can’t speak to specifics about how Fantasy Grounds and/or Unity work, but the plist files in ~/Library/Preferences are generally on-disk representations of memory-based preferences. If the app is using the macOS preferences framework (CFPreferences) then you should be able to remove settings immediately via:

defaults delete ~/Library/Preferences/unity.SmiteWorks.Fantasy Grounds.plist
    defaults delete ~/Library/Preferences/unity.SmiteWorks.Fantasy Grounds Updater.plist
    Deleting those particular files with the Finder or a command like “rm” will generally not take effect immediately. A log out or reboot (which includes a log out) would fix this because afterwards, the preferences would be read from the files again — so if the files are gone, the preferences can’t be loaded into memory.

It seems strange to me that the window size would cause this kind of crash. I don’t normally switch between a laptop and external screen; I use FGU on a desktop system with multiple monitors attached. I’ve found that FGU starts up fine on my multiple screens. I use the app Divvy to manage windows and move them between monitors. I’m on Intel, but I haven’t to my knowledge seen this condition crash FGU.

Is there a way that FGU could detect this resolution condition and set something more appropriate for the current display(s), rather than crashing? This would go along with my problem / request for supporting macOS more fully by using the user’s current home directory. It might also be helpful for the other platforms FGU runs on.

As I mentioned, this is part of the built-in Unity game engine preferences. I have not seen anything in the Unity documentation that allows disabling of those window placement preferences; though I haven't looked recently.

Regards,
    JPG

SOLVED

Thank you Moon Wizard and jaharmi. Moon Wizard's post sent me in the right direction, but I had never scrolled down through my gazillion prefs to discover additional pref files with the unity.smiteworks prefix. I deleted and restarted and for the first time in over a year, I can launch and run SmiteWorks from my default user.

Thread Information