DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

FGU: Savage Worlds Deluxe: Weird War II: Script Errror 100% Reproduction

EDIT: This issue has been resolved.

Hey, I've been trying to run a WWII campaign but the extension is riddled with Script errors.

The most obvious and problematic one, that makes the system absolutely unusable is whenever you attempt to interact with the Agility or Strength dice (or any of the skill dice governed by those attributes) it returns the following script error.

[ERROR] Script execution error: [string] "scripts/manager_gamesystem_swd.lua"] attempt to call field 'addPenaltyIgnoredSlot' (a nil value)

Steps to reproduce.
    1. Launch Fantasy Grounds Unity
    2. Create a Session with the Savage Worlds Deluxe Ruleset.
    3. Add the Weird Wars 2 Setting extension.
    4. Launch the Session.
    5. Create a PC.
    6. Interact with the Agility or Strength attribute dice

Expected Outcome
    The dice can be rolled, and the results displayed in the chat log.

Actual Outcome
    The game returns the Script Error: [ERROR] Script execution error: [string] "scripts/manager_gamesystem_swd.lua"] attempt to call field 'addPenaltyIgnoredSlot' (a nil value). The chat log doesn't denote the dice rolled. This also occurs with skill dice, associated with the Strength and Agility attributes.

Anything that could be done to resolve this would be amazing. I would love to run this system on my Twitch channel, but it is no state to do so currently. As it currently stands, you can't roll any shooting or melee attacks in Fantasy Grounds using this setting, which makes the module really unusable - Especially considering it's a setting focused on, you know... A World War.

I'd appreciate any traction here. I've been a little miffed with how buggy a few of my Savage Worlds purchases have run, but I've never spent money on one that literally didn't work on a the base level before.
    Last edited by Will Tomorrow; February 17th, 2021 at 18:13.
    "You can tell more of a person in an hour of play than a year of conversation" ~Plato

Ultimate License Holder
    50 Fathoms
    Deadlands Reloaded
    Saga of the Goblin Horde
    Savage Worlds

What happens without the WWII extension loaded, I do not think there is anything in the extension that should break it, more likely FGC/FGU bug.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

I mean, that's less than reassuring if that's the official response. I'd expect it to work as advertised, across both versions.

I run several campaigns in both Savage Worlds Deluxe and SWADE in both FGU and FGC. This is the only module in which I and my players experience this (particular) issue.

Without the extension installed, when I pick up the Agility and Strength dice, they don't immediately return the aforementioned string error. They roll, and they return the information you'd expect in the chat. With the extension installed, it's 100% reproducible. It's been a few years since I worked in software QA, but it seems pretty clear cut that the extension is the issue.

I have nearly $2k sunk into FG content over half a decade, this is the first time one of my purchases has been completely non-functional. Sometimes, the modules are really slapdash, but Weird Wars 2 is the only one I've used that has made FG less functional than just rolling dice with a pdf over discord. Really disappointing QA with FG stuff, just generally, but this one takes the cake so far.
    Last edited by Will Tomorrow; February 17th, 2021 at 07:35.
    "You can tell more of a person in an hour of play than a year of conversation" ~Plato

Ultimate License Holder
    50 Fathoms
    Deadlands Reloaded
    Saga of the Goblin Horde
    Savage Worlds

That wasn't an official response, it was me just asking, updates sometimes break non 5e settings in FGU/FGC.

So it does seem limited to WWII at least, Suzanne Grapperhaus was the developer for that setting, do not know her personally, hopefully she will respond soon.
    Last edited by ddavison; February 17th, 2021 at 17:35. Reason: updated it to show Suzanne as the extension author
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Yeah, sometimes Savage Worlds feels like the red headed step child in VTT. I just wanna roll some d4's with my buddies.

I will say the most recent Deadlands seems a cut above the typical QA Standard. I'll be pleased as punch if it's indicative of the quality of the modules moving forward.

Ultimate License Holder
    50 Fathoms
    Deadlands Reloaded
    Saga of the Goblin Horde
    Savage Worlds

Did a little more QA. The extension works as expected in Fantasy Grounds Classic (which would be great if I wasn't after the QoL features of Unity).

I get the same Script error even with the Weird War II theme turned off in FGU. Just Savage Worlds Deluxe, the Weird Wars II Player and GM guide, 100% reproducible when trying to use Agility/Strength or any skill governed by those attributes.

I would add that I make my own modules in FG regularly, I'm familiar with SWEL and NPC Maker, I can create custom arcane background extensions, automate all kinds of functions - I'm pretty familiar with the software, but flummoxed here. If it turns out that this will only run in FGC, the advertising needs to reflect that somehow.
    Last edited by Will Tomorrow; February 17th, 2021 at 15:32.

Ultimate License Holder
    50 Fathoms
    Deadlands Reloaded
    Saga of the Goblin Horde
    Savage Worlds

This happens in both FGC and FGU. You probably haven't updated FGC.

This isn't a case of Savage Worlds being a red headed step-child or anything else. Savage Worlds is incredibly well supports in Fantasy Grounds. This is a case of something slipping through in the recent ruleset update that was released yesterday.

The best way to get things fixed is to report issues such as this. Thanks very much for reporting. I'm sure the devs will get this fixed ASAP.

You've made some other comments about your displeasure with FG Savage Worlds products. Keep in mind that Fantasy Grounds has had official Savage Worlds products available for as long as I've been on these forums. So some older products aren't going to look as polished as the new ones. They were great in their day, but FG functionality has moved on and so may not hold up to current expectations. Few FG community devs who created older products will want to spend the time to update them. I don't think this warrants removing older products from the store - unless they are truly broken. But, as with anything, opinions on this may differ. So, as with any Fantasy Grounds purchase, if you're not happy with the product you bought there is a 30 days no questions asked refund policy.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Yeah, I've been an Ultimate license holder since 2015 or so myself, it's come a long way since then.

When I compare the support/quality of modules of D&D to the Savage Worlds stuff in Fantasy Grounds, it's a pretty stark comparison, and one that doesn't break in Savage World's favor. I'm sure it's a function of marketshare, but it is a noteworthy discrepancy. I mean heck, there isn't even coherent documentation for all the FG Settings specific to Savage Worlds. We can't pretend it's on like... parity.

I purchased the Weird War II stuff a couple of months ago. Even if I hadn't, the vast majority of my FG purchases came from the Steam Marketplace, which doesn't allow refunds on 'DLC', but that's their policy, not you fine peoples.

I've got thousands of dollars of FGU modules across a bunch of systems, it's not a case of unfamiliarity with the way things work around here, as seems to be the implication. I've been playing Deadlands Reloaded with FGC since it was nothing but script errors (The Weird West is much better put together so far). This has been an issue since before the most recent ruleset update with Weird Wars, as I messed around with it for a moment when I bought it, but it wasn't an issue until I started trying to get PC's created for the Twitch show I was gonna showcase the software/module with.

I'm not suggesting it need not be sold, or anything so drastic as that - just not advertised as FGU ready if this can't be resolved, which I'm still hopeful it will be.

EDIT: You're 100% correct. I apparently hadn't updated FGC, it is also non-functional over there now. Which is odd. FGC used to notify me that I had pending updates by changing the color of the update button in the launcher, it no longer appears to do that. That being said, it has never functioned in FGU, but is now 100% reproducible across both platforms.
    Last edited by Will Tomorrow; February 17th, 2021 at 16:33. Reason: New information

Ultimate License Holder
    50 Fathoms
    Deadlands Reloaded
    Saga of the Goblin Horde
    Savage Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Will Tomorrow View Post
    ...just not advertised as FGU ready if this can't be resolved, which I'm still hopeful it will be.
    Your posts are coming across as you think this won't be fixed. You found an issue, you're reported it 13 hours ago (great, thanks for that), the devs will fix it, give them a chance. In the whole of your time on Fantasy Grounds have you known the devs to just leave something broken, let alone then mark something as "not ready" in the store?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Truly and honestly? Yeah. All kinds of stuff.

Modules are rife with simple stuff, like grammar and transcription issues that seem permanent. Probably because they don't directly impact functionality, so they aren't reported? But still definitely missed by anything resembling an editorial eye before being pushed to the store. I have several modules with chapters organized incoherently, by alphabetical order or celestial alignment, it would seem. Mutants and Masterminds was terribly broken 4 years ago, 2 years ago, and I reckon probably still now, I could go through my library and document more, but I have 106 modules - a simple majority of which have some formatting issue or another, at least. If not some scripting issues.

I enjoy this software, obviously, as I've invested an inordinate amount of time and money in it, but is has some real quality assurance issues that persist. There is no customer facing documentation of feature changes (see the most recent changes to the sidebar images and the forum posts of confusion). As a purchaser of Fantasy Gounds, I have to do the bug testing and reporting to get any traction on an issue, and even then - there are numerous dead end script error threads in these forums. I'd wager many, many more than there are resolved ones.

I don't think it is entirely pessimistic to think this might not be an issue that gets resolution, in 13 hours, days, weeks, etc.

I appreciate your perspective, but I think you're painting me with the wrong end of the brush here. Full stop - there are a lot of issues with Fantasy Grounds as a product.

If it was D&D, or more popular or contemporary ruleset, I'd be a little less cagey with my prognostication. I truly and sincerely hope to be proved wrong in this instance though!
    Last edited by Will Tomorrow; February 17th, 2021 at 17:07. Reason: words

Ultimate License Holder
    50 Fathoms
    Deadlands Reloaded
    Saga of the Goblin Horde
    Savage Worlds

Thread Information