5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 8 of 8 First ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    But, the great thing is, folks like you and me can use examples like the one I posted from Moon to create an extension to use graphic buttons. That way all that effort and maintenance gets pushed off the devs and onto those in the community who actually want that look. Give it some time, I suspect folks are already working on themes that will have graphic buttons. And if what they create are not to your liking, you can create your own
    Thank you for your confidence, lol, but yes through mimicry, sleight of hand and cannibalism I get by.

I agree, the new buttons are....

#1. Very hard to read on a large 4k monitor, and no I am not scaling my entire interface to make them bigger. That is a worse loss of realestate.

#2. Looks very amateurish, it looks like something a freeware program would have, not a top of the line VTT.

#3. And you took away a big part of themes by removing the ability to customize them. I mean why even have the option of which buttons you want over there when all of them will fit and you still have over half of your screen left, even if you need a magnifying glass to see them.

PLEASE put them back, or give us an option to put them back, cause this has made life way more difficult.

Could you describe the improvement to someone with impaired vision?

Quote Originally Posted by Three of Swords View Post
    Count me in the 'prefer the new look to the old' party.

I have looked into the directory with the file for the button (in SWADE, but I guess it is the same in other rulesets), and found that there is only the one version of the background for all the buttons. Would it be possible to make one for each button? The intention behind this is, that people can make the buttons colored as they like or add there own fancy little icons. And on the developer side there is still only one button to design, but they are saved under different names, for the players to fiddle with. I am sure you could even write a program, that saves the button immage in a batch, with different names... like button_hero.png, button_notes.png. etc.

And another suggestion, what about a design documentation with all the pixel sizes and rules where the breaks are for the image borders and such... or this there something like this already? Or even better, what about a WYSIWYG Interface to design your own themes. I am sure there are many artists out there that would like to use that, you could even make money with that if you would make it that those creations could be sold on your shop, for a percentage.

Just a few thoughts.
    Keep on gaming and stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by spoonhead View Post
    …Not everyone can see those buttons if they are all the same colour.
    Color coding them would be a great improvement.
    You might also consider trying a more accessible font, which may help in some circumstances to make the letters more easily readable.

Quote Originally Posted by bwatford View Post
    …why even have the option of which buttons you want over there when all of them will fit and you still have over half of your screen left…
    Agreed. It seems strange that "all" isn't the default sidebar layout after this change.
    Last edited by bmos; February 25th, 2021 at 12:26.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwatford View Post
    #3. And you took away a big part of themes by removing the ability to customize them.
    It is actually easier to create a theme with the new approach. Because now all you need to do to create buttons is to have a list of text fields, not 2 images for each button for each ruleset.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnx333 View Post
    I have looked into the directory with the file for the button (in SWADE, but I guess it is the same in other rulesets), and found that there is only the one version of the background for all the buttons. Would it be possible to make one for each button?
    You can already do this with an extension. See the one I linked above.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    Interesting, Ill have to check this out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by spoonhead View Post
    Could you describe the improvement to someone with impaired vision?
    You are correct, the current style is what I call "artist" color coordinated. Blended shades into a slightly different darkness text is not high enough contrast from a UI or accessibility context. That though, is a problem with the choice of background, foreground and text color choices rather than a problem with the actual button design.

I would encourage Smiteworks to make their default button theme a higher contrast one because I believe your issue with the buttons is not an aesthetic one but a functionality one.

I have posted a small extension here which makes the sidebar buttons a higher contrast with the default brown text. The load order is high on the extension so it should work with most/all themes. It worked with the default themes. It's a CoreRPG extension so it should work with anything derived from CoreRPG.

You can get it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...510#post582510

Thread Information