DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

A few questions from a beginner

Hi,
    I have a few questions before deciding to switch to Fantasy Grounds:
    - I have trouble to use effects from here... Is there a guide that shows comprehensive examples? For example, shouldn't the effect "AURA: 5 none FAFAD2" add color around the token? I found this on Discord, but it seems not to work... Similarly, a PC with "ATK:2, DMG:2" seems not to have any bonus to attack and damage rolls...
    - Is it possible to have a button to apply damage and an effect at the same time? On the test powers I created, I had to separate damages and effects...
    - what is the best way to implement a multitarget power that has an effect on miss? If "Target: remove on miss" is active, I would have to track targets that are missed, target them, and finally apply the miss effect on them. Is there an easier way?
    - is it possible to somehow apply damage on the fly to a token? I would like to tell FG: "hey, this enemy takes additional 7 damages" or even better "this enemy takes 1d6+3 damages". I could add them manually to the wounds, but I'm slow to compute mentally. I tried dragging and dropping a die on a token but it doesn't work.
    Thanks in advance for your help!

1. I don't know of any effect for 4e that adds a color around a token.
    2. ATK:2, DMG:2. That should be ATK:2; DMG:2
    3. Is it possible to have a button to apply damage and an effect at the same time? No unless its damage over time. For example DMGO: 5 poison
    4. Multitarget: Open Options and select Multi on Target: Remove on miss. Usually a miss is half damage so retarget the missed targets and click on Half Damage button then roll damage (if you installed 4E_Desktop_Buttons.ext) https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...nsion-Emporium
    5. Damage on the fly; I think the only way is to create a trap for example that does the damage you want and put it in your hot bar. Then change the damage on the fly of that trap.

Thanks for your answers!
    Sorry for late reply X)

Hello,
    so I will (finally) switch to Fantasy Grounds soon. I now have some more questions :
    - Is it possible to have an effect with a resistance equal to a sum ? "RESIST: [CON] + 5" ends up as "RESIST: 2 + 5" on the combat tracker, without any effect when taking damage. "RESIST: 5 + [CON]" oddly ends up as "RESIST: 7 +"... Same for "RESIST: 5 + [HLVL] fire", which ends as "RESIST: 6 + fire", without effect when taking fire damage. Is this a bug ?
    - I added "RESIST: 6 fire" in the appropriate field of a PC's character sheet, but the effect is not added on their token... Similarly, one of my players should always have "IF: Bloodied; REGEN: [CHA]" active. It works, but I had to add a button to their powers. Is there a way to auto-apply effects to PCs ?
    - Is there a way to add effects to PC powers (as buttons) that make them loose or gain healing surges ? I have a player that has a power where they can spend a healing surge to do additional damage. The "lose a healing surge" text in the power description is double-clickable, but it is the target who looses a healing surge. Similarly, they have a power that makes them gain a healing surge, I have no idea how to do this other than manually (tried to add a heal effect with negative HS cost, but it does not show as a button if it heals 0 HP)...
    - One of my player has a beast companion. Any suggestions on how to do this ? I created it as a PC, but to have it on the grid, I have first to drag and drop it on the combat tracker, then on the field, and finally remove it from the combat tracker (it shouldn't have turns). Also, levelling up gets funky (because bonuses are per level and not every two levels), but it is manageable.

Also, good news, I found how to apply damage on the fly: just roll the damage in the chat box, and drag and drop the result on the "Wnd" field of the appropriate token in the combat tracker.

Thanks in advance!

You can add effects from the character sheet, from the combat tracker or from the effcts panel top right. That are all, without extensions, afaik, you must try out what works best for you. Effects from character sheets need to be pressed to populate in the combat tracker (small human figure).
    For a beast companion: Either as a PC or NPC. I would suggest a NPC if you don't need many adjustments or just simple ones you can manage with effects (ability adjustments and so on); go for a PC if you need many adjustments.

Hope that helps at least a bit, don't know much about 4E...

Quote Originally Posted by Facjad View Post
    Hello,
    so I will (finally) switch to Fantasy Grounds soon. I now have some more questions :
    - Is it possible to have an effect with a resistance equal to a sum ? "RESIST: [CON] + 5" ends up as "RESIST: 2 + 5" on the combat tracker, without any effect when taking damage. "RESIST: 5 + [CON]" oddly ends up as "RESIST: 7 +"... Same for "RESIST: 5 + [HLVL] fire", which ends as "RESIST: 6 + fire", without effect when taking fire damage. Is this a bug ?
    - I added "RESIST: 6 fire" in the appropriate field of a PC's character sheet, but the effect is not added on their token... Similarly, one of my players should always have "IF: Bloodied; REGEN: [CHA]" active. It works, but I had to add a button to their powers. Is there a way to auto-apply effects to PCs ?
    - Is there a way to add effects to PC powers (as buttons) that make them loose or gain healing surges ? I have a player that has a power where they can spend a healing surge to do additional damage. The "lose a healing surge" text in the power description is double-clickable, but it is the target who looses a healing surge. Similarly, they have a power that makes them gain a healing surge, I have no idea how to do this other than manually (tried to add a heal effect with negative HS cost, but it does not show as a button if it heals 0 HP)...
    - One of my player has a beast companion. Any suggestions on how to do this ? I created it as a PC, but to have it on the grid, I have first to drag and drop it on the combat tracker, then on the field, and finally remove it from the combat tracker (it shouldn't have turns). Also, levelling up gets funky (because bonuses are per level and not every two levels), but it is manageable.

Also, good news, I found how to apply damage on the fly: just roll the damage in the chat box, and drag and drop the result on the "Wnd" field of the appropriate token in the combat tracker.

Thanks in advance!
    1. I think "RESIST:# type" has to be a static number
    2. Has to be applied to the character in the Combat Tracker by Effect Button or manual in the CT. Once in the CT it will say there on the PC until you clear them from the CT.
    3. To only add or subtract a healing surge pick an attribute that has a modifier of 0 (in example Wisdom of the character has a 0 modifier) then use a healing surge value of 1 or -1. Have the effect button with SELF selected.

4. If you just want a token on the map that represents the beast companion, drag the token image from assets to the map. For my players beast companions I created a character, put it on the CT and gave it the same initiative number as the player. The player Owns both characters and can control them both on the map.
    Last edited by kevininrussia; March 28th, 2021 at 22:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Facjad View Post
    Hello,

Thanks in advance!
    I do not have much time, so, I can only answer the first question: Try RESIST: 5 [HLVL] fire, normally FG treats a space in front of the square bracket as a plus (but spontaneously not sure whether it reacts well with the damage type, so, test first)

Ok, thanks to both of you
    Forgot about the effect panel, I think I will use it.
    It feels a bit dirty to use an attribute with 0 modifier, but it will do for now X)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    I do not have much time, so, I can only answer the first question: Try RESIST: 5 [HLVL] fire, normally FG treats a space in front of the square bracket as a plus (but spontaneously not sure whether it reacts well with the damage type, so, test first)
    Oh! Super nice! It works!

oh yeah, forgot about [HLVL]. Adding it to the Tiefling now ;-)

Thread Information