5E Character Create Playlist

Portrait Questions

Question #1: Ok. I am trying to get my characters portraits to show above the chat window (like in the picture below). I simply do not know how to accomplish this. I checked at the FG Wiki, but I did not see anything over there.

800px-Tabletop.png

Question #2: Now, I am also trying to upload some new portraits to the game. I uploaded all of the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale portraits off of the Fantasy Grounds store, and they all show up in the portraits folder. I also uploaded a bunch of custom portraits, and I also placed them in the same folder. Now, when I open up the Portraits folder, all of the images for Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale and the Custum portraits are all there. They are all in the tga format. All of them are there, the custom ones and the Baldurs Gate/Icewind Dale ones as well. That being said, when I open up the Assets window and go into portraits, the Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale portraits are all there, but not the custom ones. Any idea what might be the issue?

Screenshot 2021-02-12 14.58.05.png

Screenshot 2021-02-12 14.58.32.png

Question #3: How do I change the names that come with these portraits? For instance, with the Baldurs Gate portraits, in the Portraits folder, the images are given rather innocuous image names (i.e. FEPortrait5_H.tga.), but when I hover my curser over the portrait in the game, the actual name that was used in the original game (i.e. Baldurs Gate) pops up (i.e. Imoen, Boo etc. etc). So, how do I change those names to my actual characters names?

Thanks!!

1. You will only see your players portraits when they join your game.

2. Make sure that your portraits are either .jpg or .png files. I don't know what a .tga is but FG won't recognise that.

3. You cannot change the names of purchased material (such as the BG pack) since they are encrypted and not accessible.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

"1. You will only see your players portraits when they join your game." I am playing by myself, so I am the DM and the players, all at the same time. At any rate, there needs to be a method for moving the portrait up above the chat window, I am just not sure how.

"2. Make sure that your portraits are either .jpg or .png files. I don't know what a .tga is but FG won't recognise that." I changed all of the files to jpg, and they still do not show up. The difference seems to be that all of the portraits that I can view has their own little "bag" icon, whereas the custom ones don't have a "bag" icon. See my screenshots below...

Screenshot 2021-02-12 16.09.21.png

Screenshot 2021-02-12 16.12.21.png

Screenshot 2021-02-12 16.12.35.png

Quote Originally Posted by brianreid47 View Post
    At any rate, there needs to be a method for moving the portrait up above the chat window...
    Seeing the portraits allows the GM to see which PCs are controlled by the connected players. If there are no players connected, then there aren't any PCs to show. There doesn't need to be this functionality when there are no players connected, it doesn't gain anything.

As you're playing without players connected, just open the PC sheets as you need to - either from the character selection window or from the combat tracker. You don't *need* the portraits as you're just using your GM session to play.

However, if you really, really, really, want to see the portraits displayed on the desktop then start another instance of FG and join the GM game using a server address of localhost (the FGU GM instance must be set to LAN for this). IMHO you'll soon stop doing this as it just makes it more complex when playing by yourself - but if you want portraits on the desktop, this is the way to do it.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

"2. Make sure that your portraits are either .jpg or .png files. I don't know what a .tga is but FG won't recognise that." I changed all of the files to jpg, and they still do not show up. The difference seems to be that all of the portraits that I can view has their own little "bag" icon, whereas the custom ones don't have a "bag" icon. See my screenshots below...

Screenshot 2021-02-12 16.09.21.png

Screenshot 2021-02-12 16.12.21.png

Screenshot 2021-02-12 16.12.35.png
    Don't have maps in your portraits directory.

If you want your portraits in bags, put them in a directory in the portraits directory.

If you want see everything that's in the portraits directory, use the left/right arrows on the side of the assets window to navigate through the different folders. This is probably the reason why you think you're not seeing the portrait files in the portrait folder - FG doesn't display everything at once in the assets window, there are a limited number displayed per page and you need to page through using the arrow buttons - you can see a right arrow in your second screenshot.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks Trenloe for the clarification in regards to the portraits above the chat window. I will certainly dispense with that idea. That being said, I am still having trouble with the custom made portraits. I have cleaned up the portraits folder. I have moved out the misplaced maps, and I have narrowed it down to just the portraits. When I reload the game and open up the data folder/bag, the portraits are now "there", but they are blank, and I get an error message: "Graphic Load: Object Reference not set to an instance of an object". See my attached screenshot. Any idea what that could mean?

Screenshot 2021-02-12 20.27.24.png

Is it possible that the Fantasy Grounds code does not like the underscore "_" in each of the pictures name?

I do believe those files were corrupted. They came across as a .tga file. I did a mass file conversion to .jpg, and something must have went wrong. I placed some other portraits in the file just now, and they work and look awesome. I deleted all of the corrupted files. I think I am good now. Thanks for everyone's help!!

Screenshot 2021-02-12 21.20.52.png

I think I am good now. Thanks for everyone's help!!
    Great! :-)

Thread Information