5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Organizing Assets

Is there anyway to organize the assets bundles I have. The annoying property of jumping back to the top of the assets list when you back out of a bundle makes searching for assets a tedious process. If I could have all my map packs at the top of the list and all the module bundles at the end it would make actually using the assets less stressful. However, I can't find any of the packs in either the items or the tokens folders.

Any help?

All of the asset packs are exactly the same to the FGU client. They are all just packs of images in named folders/packs/modules. There's no difference between maps and other assets; they are all just graphic files.

We've been getting feedback about looking into better ways to organize; so it's on our list to consider after vision/lighting and forge projects start wrapping up.

Regards,
    JPG

Hey JPG,

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I misstated my issue. I understand the assets are all image files. What I would like to do is rename the folders they are contained in so that they appear in the Assets window in the order I'd like. For instance, I have several modules loaded as well as map packs and asset packs. But I can't find where these are located in the Fantasy Grounds folder. Neither in the image folders or the campaign folders. Maybe what you are saying is that there is no way currently to modify the names of these packs.

Anyway, thanks for the comment.

Yes, assets packs purchased from the store are encrypted in the vault folder and will retain the name of the pack. If you have actual modules or images/tokens etc you bought elsewhere then those will be in the modules folder and you can unzip those and move assets areound into other modules with whatever name you like; but you can't do anything about the ones bought via the store or that come with FG.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Has this feature been revisited lately? I like using the new flip tile sets for map creation because of the built in LOS lines already built into it, but it gets annoying having to jump back and forth between tile sets: like, I want to make a forest path lead into a dungeon, but i have to jump between forest starter pack, highlands expansion, dungeon starter pack, and dungeon mazes expansion. It would really help to be able to have multiple asset folders open at once, or maybe an easier method of swapping folders?

One technique that might help is to search for most of your assets first, before closing the asset search window and then dragging your assets into the shortcut area prior to placing them on your map or scene. Josh had done this before to help be more efficient and less of that opening and closing of the asset window. I created an asset catalog a while back but it has not been updated in a while so that one knows which content comes in what packs.
    Forge Item Art Packs Accessibility Tool Catalog on the forge.
    https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/339/view

Video: https://youtu.be/csWFKZwYc_o
    Last edited by Laerun; June 20th, 2022 at 03:04. Reason: Clarity
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    All asset packs are identicalmforto the FGU client. They are all just packs of images in named folders/packs/modules. There's no difference between maps and other assets; they are all just graphic files.

We've been getting feedback about looking into better ways to organize; so it's o, our list to consider after vision/lighting and forge projects start wrapping up.

Regards,
    JPG
    I don't know if it would be prudent or worth adding a reference manual as to what is in the art packs and low res, in-line images in a reference manual.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTornado View Post
    Has this feature been revisited lately? I like using the new flip tile sets for map creation because of the built in LOS lines already built into it, but it gets annoying having to jump back and forth between tile sets: like, I want to make a forest path lead into a dungeon, but i have to jump between forest starter pack, highlands expansion, dungeon starter pack, and dungeon mazes expansion. It would really help to be able to have multiple asset folders open at once, or maybe an easier method of swapping folders?
    amen --

The file management system and view, need a serious overhaul. I wrote up a suggestion and submitted it with my thoughts. I hope it gets some love. With all the beautiful assets buried around the slow and counter-intuitive u.i. , it just feels like such a tedious process.

No treeview.
    No persistant state - thumb/zoom - close the window...you're preferences are whacked.
    No favoriting system or way to group, organize
    And one of the most annoying... the paging. When you're on page 5 because you needed to shrink the window.. go into folder A, then back up to index...you're back at tab 1....then you need to page all the way back.
    Yes, you can search, but honestly, thats no substitute for being able to get a clean birds-eye view of 'what' you have, and especially being able to at least TAG them as 'favorites', and have a special folder that feeds every tagged asset into it when opening the folder.
    Some type of implementation of lazy loading (if they dont have it already, I can't be sure) would be great.

I watched a video on FGA where they suggested create generic maps and exporting as module... I assumed this would be exactly what I want and a good workaround... e.g., creating a palette of assets, just like you'd create a palette of colors... but I could not get it to work. There wasn't much detail on how to do so, and frankly I don't know if i misinterpreted what he said and if its even possible.

Regardless, would love to hear good workarounds to making the system easier to work with. I really hope they give the entire FMS/UI a major overhaul with all the beautiful stuff they sell, having it buried behind this tedious workflow is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerg View Post
    amen --

The file management system and view, need a serious overhaul. I wrote up a suggestion and submitted it with my thoughts. I hope it gets some love. With all the beautiful assets buried around the slow and counter-intuitive u.i. , it just feels like such a tedious process.

No treeview.
    No persistant state - thumb/zoom - close the window...you're preferences are whacked.
    No favoriting system or way to group, organize
    And one of the most annoying... the paging. When you're on page 5 because you needed to shrink the window.. go into folder A, then back up to index...you're back at tab 1....then you need to page all the way back.
    Yes, you can search, but honestly, thats no substitute for being able to get a clean birds-eye view of 'what' you have, and especially being able to at least TAG them as 'favorites', and have a special folder that feeds every tagged asset into it when opening the folder.
    Some type of implementation of lazy loading (if they dont have it already, I can't be sure) would be great.
    (
    I second all of these (if there is a request I can click, I'll click it). The paging one is the biggest to start - always going back to page 1 especially when you know its in either Art Pack X 1 or Art Pack X 2, and its not in the first one you go in.

here is the link to the suggestion.. it could use some love!

https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=139360

Thread Information