DICE PACKS BUNDLE

FantasyGroundsUpdater Command Line Arguments?

I would like to periodically launch and update FGU without having to click the UI. Are there any hidden command line switches I can use to run the executable that would force an update (say, if I launched it as a scheduled task)?

If not, is there any change there *will* be?

Thanks,

BA

Blog Entries
    Welcome.

Not that I know of. Sounds like a nice idea though. If someone doesn't chime in and give a solution, you can add it to the wish list, I would vote on it; https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Welcome.

Not that I know of. Sounds like a nice idea though. If someone doesn't chime in and give a solution, you can add it to the wish list, I would vote on it; https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/
    Thanks! If I don't see a lot of response in the next couple days I'll post it. If I can command line launch the updater, I can retrieve the updates on a regular basis and make our FGU client more ready to run on a regular basis.

We use the "-c" command line to tell the updater to automatically update and launch FG when done, when launching from the main client application. You could try that for now. It's not a supported feature.

Regards,
    JPG

FantasyGroundsUpdater Command Line Arguments?

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    We use the "-c" command line to tell the updater to automatically update and launch FG when done, when launching from the main client application. You could try that for now. It's not a supported feature.

Regards,
    JPG
    That worked very great - thanks!!!

So let me take it one step farther now... after the updater runs and launches FGU, add a command line switch in FGU to bypass the confirmation GUI and load a "created campaign" ?

lol here's what we're running into (the group I play with): We all work and have oddball schedules. We'd *like* to be able to connect to our active campaign periodically and our DM is not always awake/available/kids borked the computer, etc... I volunteered to host the campaign on a dedicated PC - and put one up (Win10). I can script periodic startups and shutdowns with PowerShell and Task Scheduler (and now with the -c command line, keep the content constantly updated). However, when the main program loads, there's a click-through GUI and it doesn't load the campaign without people interaction.

This may not be ideal for *everyone*, but it sure would be a useful option. Just putting it out there.

I appreciate the feedback.

You can close FG using Taskkill. This will gracefully shutdown it, like right clicking it in the taskbar and choosing 'close'. No warnings about db.xml backups. Restarting it at a campaign would be awesome.

Code:
    taskkill /im FantasyGrounds.exe

FG / Taskkill

Quote Originally Posted by Milmoor View Post
    You can close FG using Taskkill. This will gracefully shutdown it, like right clicking it in the taskbar and choosing 'close'. No warnings about db.xml backups. Restarting it at a campaign would be awesome.

Code:
    taskkill /im FantasyGrounds.exe
    Oh yeah - I have a whole powershell script/windows task planned. Without the ability to launch the application and load a specific campaign immediately, though, makes that require human interaction. Trying to avoid that so we can have better uptime and accessibility. Thanks though!

A warning, if you externally force a close, chances are it won't save the campaign first. At least it doesn't if you use the X in the top right corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Milmoor View Post
    At least it doesn't if you use the X in the top right corner.
    That’s only the case with FGC on a Mac/Linux using Wine. If you’re having issues when using FGC on Windows or FGU on any of the supported platforms then please start a new thread in the relevant House of Healing forum.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Will try to reproduce, because I definitely had data loss the other day while testing a new extension. Will create new post in the appropriate forum when I do so.

Edit: happy to report that I can't reproduce.
    Last edited by Milmoor; March 7th, 2021 at 19:04.

Thread Information