5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Ancient Gamer LFG (5e, CP2020/Red, SW)

Started GMing DnD in ’76. Started GM’ing CP in ’88. Big SW fan, run every system. Run 100s of other systems as well, only got to play 2% of the time, so I fall squarely into that “Forever GM” category, and online is the only chance I have to play, so here I am.

Timezone: PST
    Days/Times Avail: Not Wed or Sat for sure (running games, go fig). After 5pm PST any other day is currently negotiable.
    Gametype: Long-term campaigns. I’m allergic to 1-shots, I’m looking for a deep dive into my character, the party, and the world, and that takes time.
    Planned Duration: Long, years if possible.
    Game Software: I own FGU (though am very new to it), use Discord, and own everything in DnDBeyond and don’t mind sharing with a campaign.
    Text or Voice: Voice, don’t typically do video (no one wants to look at my ancient mug)

About me:
    • I’m a full Brecht role player and Role Playing is paramount for me, it’s why I play. Next would be Exploration, Intrigue, etc, with Combat last.
    • I’m also a “let everyone else make their character and then I’ll fill in gaps” kind of player. I’ve 10,000s of characters in my head, I can make any role fun, and prefer building my character with the GM and other players so everything makes sense vs building in a vacuum and then throwing each other together and trying to force it to fit. I also like to make sure the party has what it needs and don't want to step on anyone by taking a role they really wanted. I let the newer players go with what they like and I take what's left.
    • I abhor PvP, I'm a collaborative gamer.
    • I do accents, tones, idiosyncrasies, quirks, etc.
    • I play/run "Mercer style" and have been doing so since well before Matt was born
    • I love a diverse table. I spent 30 years in dark hobby shop back rooms, surrounded by guys that look like George RR Martin. I love that 5e has broadened the gamer base and love me a broad mix of players.
    Last edited by MacAllen; February 5th, 2021 at 14:58.

Blog Entries
    Welcome!

I hope you find the game(s) you are looking for.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Welcome!

I hope you find the game(s) you are looking for.
    Me too

MacAllen,

If you're still looking for a game, I am starting a Call of Cthulhu 7th edition campaign (the Masks of Nyarlathotep published campaign). It is certainly a long haul, and I believe it meets your interests (about a 80/20 RP to Combat ratio), and is definitely heavy in intrigue and exploration, with Call of Cthulhu being an investigative-horror TTRPG and all. If you have read H.P. Lovecraft, it takes place in the world described by his books, in a campaign against Nyarlathotep. It is not, however, a D&D-style game -- you aren't heroes (well, I guess, in a sense, you are) -- you're just everyday people who saw some strange stuff (that's the rather long description turned into a few words). It takes place in the 1920s, and the campaign starts in America, but you travel all over the world. It is a sandbox campaign, and also is very open-ended. In addition, I believe my values in a TTRPG game are similar to yours -- cooperative play, not PVP. If you're looking for more information on my game, check my other post (Click Here), which has more information about it.

If you're interested, send me a friend request on Discord, a private message on the forums, or just reply in this (or the other) thread.

Thanks,
    Ethan(os)

Not much into Cthulu, but thanks for asking. 5e for sure, Cyberpunk if I can get it, Star Wars if it feels right.

Did you find a group?

Nope.

Don't give up.

Maybe look on the Savage Worlds forums for GMs? I run SW (love it for cinematic and pulp-style games), and I want to run some Cyberpunk Red, but I prefer shorter campaigns, one-offs, etc., and my players and I like a good mix of action. You'll find a group.

I'm in no rush, no DnD is much better than bad DnD, and I'd much rather not have a game than have a game that I'm not a fit for. 2nd vacc shot in 2 weeks, then I'll start running from my home again, but FG is my only chance to play. I can wait I'd love a CP game, but there just isn't the pop for it, it seems.

Awesome on the vaccine! I'm still waiting for my first.

I agree on finding the right group vs. playing what you don't care for. For me, that's D&D (didn't like it in the 1970s--jumped to numerous other systems/genres, don't really like it now, although 5e is a great improvement over older stuff).

I think Cyberpunk Red will find its popularity. It's a shame there isn't a rule system for it already. It's not THAT complicated of a system--not bare bones, at least. There's a lot to it, though. I'm hoping to run a scenario in a few weeks, but not in Nightside City. I prefer my own cyberpunk tales.

Thread Information