FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 18 First 123412 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Adventures are great - just look at the games I'm running in my signature and there's no way that schedule could be maintained without a little pre-made foundation.

Personally I appreciate releases that add something to the base that can be used in any game; classes, spells, NWPs, kits, equipment, etc.... I know all of that can be entered on my own as needed, but there is something satisfying about just being able to open a module and there it is.

I would much rather spend my gaming/hobby time gaming as opposed to entering data.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by readymeal View Post
    Good Day Everyone,

as you may know all AD&D official modules available for sell in the FG shop are made by community developers. Some modules are work in progress, some are being reviewed by the FG staff and some have been on the back burner for months (don t ask who does what cause nobody really knowns).

Anyway, I thought I would put some feelers out, what does the AD&D community really wants to be converted? What are your needs as a player and/or DM?

Obviously there are restrictions in settings development (DL product are not allowed at the moment as far as I know) and porting some box set and accessory products might not add much value to a VTT gameplay or the additional rules etc might be incompatible with the current ruleset.

However if you don t ask...

https://www.tsrarchive.com/add/add.html this is a list of product

Cheers,
    Does anyone interested in content in other language than english?
    Personally I would like to have material in spanish. If there are people interested in spanish stuff I would be glad to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Adventures are great - just look at the games I'm running in my signature and there's no way that schedule could be maintained without a little pre-made foundation.

Personally I appreciate releases that add something to the base that can be used in any game; classes, spells, NWPs, kits, equipment, etc.... I know all of that can be entered on my own as needed, but there is something satisfying about just being able to open a module and there it is.

I would much rather spend my gaming/hobby time gaming as opposed to entering data.
    I have looked at few non adventure supplements and beside nice stories, they (IMO) add very little to FG if they were converted. Which box set and supplements would be good to convert? Player's Option: Spells & Magic maybe? ( not sure if the current rule set can deal with the change)

Quote Originally Posted by galfaroth2000 View Post
    Personally I would like to have material in spanish. If there are people interested in spanish stuff I would be glad to help them.
    I have heard from rob2E (who is leading a team of 5E devs) that translated modules don t sell very well... as you must be aware 2E has a much more limited player base than 5E these days but why not...

Also people using FG must already have a good level of English as it does not exist in any other languages. Other VTTs offer multilingual support, so I would not be surprised if for ex. Roll20 is dominant in European countries for example.
    Last edited by readymeal; February 12th, 2021 at 00:47.

Quote Originally Posted by galfaroth2000 View Post
    Para material en español, supongo que seria mucho mas complicado, simplemente porque las traducciones no pertenecen a wotc, sino a los licenciatarios del momento, Ediciones Zinco y Martínez Roca en España en su momento.

De módulos no traducidos o con la idea de crear nuevas traducciones para material USA, yo he estado metido en proyectos de traduccion de material y puedo decir que es un buen quebradero de cabeza.

Me encantaría ver material en español en el FG, pero no se si es viable por lo dicho anteriormente.

Un saludete

Complete Psionics Handbook (A rarely used but still iconic part of the AD&D system)
    Complete Barbarian Handbook (This would add a Barbarian class that is the most similar to the old 1st Edition Barbarian from UA)

Too bad we can't do Greyhawk material, because there is a 2E Greyhawk supplement that has the old 1st edition Monk and Assassin converted for use in 2E as well (supposedly as unique classes for a religious cult, but still could be used in any context).

These are the expansions to the system I'd like to see.

Additions to the current system content I'd like to see

Book of Artifacts
    Legends and Lore
    Wizards Spell Compedium

Adventures/Campaigns

The whole, original Undermountain boxed sets
    The Avatar Trilogy

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRevocateur View Post
    Complete Psionics Handbook (A rarely used but still iconic part of the AD&D system) (Don t think I ll touch that one.)
    Complete Barbarian Handbook (This would add a Barbarian class that is the most similar to the old 1st Edition Barbarian from UA) (Maybe, let me have a look at its content first and feasibility, it could be on Celestian to do list though)

Too bad we can't do Greyhawk material, because there is a 2E Greyhawk supplement that has the old 1st edition Monk and Assassin converted for use in 2E as well (supposedly as unique classes for a religious cult, but still could be used in any context). are you talking about The Scarlet Brotherhood ? yeah it would add 2 new classes...unfortunately there s a big Greyhawk sticker on the cover...maybe if I slap the FR logo over it they won t see anything

These are the expansions to the system I'd like to see.

Additions to the current system content I'd like to see

Book of Artifacts (I feel it would be a lot of effect coding in there...)not my forte
    Legends and Lore (what would this supplement add to FG gameplay, I don t know that product?)
    Wizards Spell Compedium (nice try... haha)

Adventures/Campaigns

The whole, original Undermountain boxed sets (not touching this... I think it s on someone else to do list though)
    The Avatar Trilogy (I like them... that could be my next projects...got 2 more undermountain dungeon crawl modules to convert first)
    My answers in Red, someone else might be interested in converting these products.

I've no plans to touch Psionics. I added the version from the latest version of the game and have no plans to re-work it. Until we get Darksun setting those will be "there" but not really "supported" without some content to back it up.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Legends and Lore is a deity book using real world pantheons. It has deity avatar stats, but the main thing it would be adding would be the specialty priest classes.

I guess Monster Mythology might see a bit more use than the real world deities, so that could be another option.

An official release of 1E as stated above is the thing that would get me excited, including all the original books. DMG, PHB, UA MM1, MM2, L&L......wouldn't hold breath for fiend folio but would love it if possible. I am aware of the extension and OSRIC etc. What I would really like to see however is just a finished 1E polished product. I think if it were created it would sell very well. That's after all where 95% of us 1st gen gamers got started (no I don't think you started with Chain Mail), for many of us the nostalgia alone would have us buying it up. I didn't cut my teeth in Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance etc. D&D started for us in the very unfinished and simple world of Greyhawk, and classes added from Dragon magazine. THACO no matter it's faults is what we remember and love. So many people I think would support this with their wallet if made available. From a pure business standpoint it's money that has been left on the table. 99% of the work has been done, the market is there (check ebay if you do not beleive me)...why wouldn't you?
    Last edited by Hawker73; February 19th, 2021 at 15:05.

I won't disagree with the assertion that an official 1E version would be cool, but I think you're overestimating the market, especially when compared to the time investment required to create that content for Fantasy Grounds. From what I've seen of Fantasy Grounds and Roll20 usage stats, older games like 1E/2E/etc are a very tiny percentage of what's played. 5E is king. Even popular systems like Pathfinder are a small percentage by comparison. It's just not profitable to spend hundreds of hours creating the content that only a handful of people will pay for. eBay doesn't seem like a great indicator of the market, particularly if you're basing it on prices. You're talking about collectibles at that point. For 1e Fantasy Grounds content, you're cutting your paying customers down to 1E players who run a game on Fantasy Grounds and also who probably are DMs. That's not a huge set of people.

A conservative estimate on how long it took me to do a module for the OSRIC book is about 100 hours, and that wasn't to a level that would have been ready for sale, because while it had classes, races, weapons, armor, spells, and monsters, it didn't have all the text in between, all the tables, and all the magic items. 1E would be a similar effort, and you'd need to sell a lot of copies to make even minimum wage doing that.

If people create the content, it will be because they love the system, not because they're looking at it from a business standpoint.

I could be wrong. If Celestian's been getting rich off 2E content, he can correct the record. I've seen the amount of time he's put into the system though and while I don't see sales stats, I have seen usage stats, and I can't believe he's doing it for any reason other than love of the game.

I am curious though... anyone know if WOTC would even allow conversion of the 1E core books, or did they only allow it for 2E?

Thread Information