DICE PACKS BUNDLE

What is causing slow loading when opening FGU?

I am playing, a friend is GMing, and after the initial loading process (Join Campaign / Resolving / Acquiring File List / Spinning Die) it can take a full minute for any of the windows to fill with characters, modules, items, spells, whatever. See the attached screenshot.

When I was GMing and running the campaign from my system, the players never noticed a delay more than a few seconds.

Is it the GM's internet upload speed? GM's system? Where's the bottleneck?
    Attached Images Attached Images

The bottleneck is the number of modules and/or assets stored on the users machine. The more modules that are installed/owned and more assets that are installed/owned; it can take some time to load. It can also be affected by the number of extensions installed, and what they are doing.

It takes a full minute for mine to load; but I have the whole catalog to load but no custom assets.

Regards,
    JPG

Internet speed does matter for the first connection as does number of modules loaded.

I struggled it back when I was on a DSL connection, as each player who connected needed to download the modules I was sharing. This got to be around 15minutes per player (I ended up creating a player demo program, getting the files I needed and then uploading them to google drive and instructing the other players where to put them)
    (on a side note, having 40mbps upstream is godsend compared to 1mbps, I never want to go back)

It can also be down to how many files need to be loaded into the program.

The main bottleneck is FGU loading modules *later* during initialization for players while it loads the very same modules multiple times faster *before* finishing initialization for the GM. I consider this a design fault, if not even a bug. Same modules that load for the GM in 19 seconds take 32 seconds for players (on the same computer).

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ght=load+times
    Last edited by Weissrolf; February 1st, 2021 at 10:54.

Thread Information