5E Character Create Playlist

Some questions of a potential customer

Hey everyone

I'm interested in Fantasy Grounds Unity to improve my current rpg setup. Currently my setup consists of two notebooks. One for me ("storyboard", music, sounds, etc.) and one for my players with a remote desktop via any desk. The local players at my table share this notebook while the remote players connect to via any desk. If they obtain any hints, pictures etc. I'll send it to this notebook, so everyone can see it. Voicechat is handled via Discord for the remote players.
    This setup works well, but managing maps and character positions is always a hassle (even on paper). I'd like to improve this part (and possible other too) with FGU. It would be great if someone could help me with some questions

1. Can multiple players use the same computer / instance of FGU at the same time?
    2. Does FGU support multiple displays at the same time (MacOS and Windows)?
    3. Could I run FGU multiple times at the same time with only one license? ("GM pc" and "player pc")?
    4. Is it possible to sync "everything inside FGU" between multiple computers / Macs (maybe via google drive or something)?
    5. Can I use my apple pencil on my iPad with FGU? (maybe via sidecar?)
    6. I'd like to get the call of cthulhu ruleset. Is there a way to change / overwrite the character sheet into a german one?
    7. Is there "native" german content for FGU?
    8. Why is the steam version (102€) cheaper than the one in the official shop (149$ --> 123€)?

1. Can multiple players use the same computer / instance of FGU at the same time?
    No. I suppose you could have two users on one computer, but it is one instance that connects to the GM/DM (Host) computer. So the one computer would 'own' multiple characters.
    2. Does FGU support multiple displays at the same time (MacOS and Windows)?
    Yes, however, it is not a native multi-monitor app. You can stretch the application across multiple monitors.
    3. Could I run FGU multiple times at the same time with only one license? ("GM pc" and "player pc")?
    Yes, but only on the same PC (or Mac), you cannot have the same username/license connected to itself from a different computer (a license conflict will occur).
    4. Is it possible to sync "everything inside FGU" between multiple computers / Macs (maybe via google drive or something)?
    There is no automatic syncing. You can manually copy campaigns between computers though. It is not recommended to use any Actively syncing service like Google Drive, OneDrive, iCloud, etc.
    5. Can I use my apple pencil on my iPad with FGU? (maybe via sidecar?)
    I do not know, but I kind of doubt it.
    6. I'd like to get the call of cthulhu ruleset. Is there a way to change / overwrite the character sheet into a german one?
    There is a community project to translate various things. I don't have the link handy though. It is on the forums though.
    7. Is there "native" german content for FGU?
    Not that I am aware of (I could be wrong though)
    8. Why is the steam version (102€) cheaper than the one in the official shop (149$ --> 123€)?
    Steam allows for regional pricing, so for anyone outside the US it is sometimes less expensive via Steam. Just to be clear, there is no difference between the application on Steam and via the Store. It only gives you regional pricing (sometimes).

Blog Entries
    Welcome!

1. Actually yes. I've had remote players share a computer. They run one client and claim both (all 3) PC's, they all sit around teh computer (or cast the screen to their TV) and then one person operates the computer or they pass it around as needed.

2. Not sure what you mean, but if Sulimo's answer doesn't suffice, let us know.

3. As Sulimo said. You can start a second instance on the GM computer and display that on a different screen. That's a common use case. If you have the ultimate license, then you can have an unlimited number of free accounts/computers connect to your game. Just not a second computer with the same license key.

4. ^Sulimo

5. *shrugs* don't know.

6. Link to the LPak Project; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...roject-Program

7. I don't know of any either. Most likely candidate might something from DAS (not going to try and spell it!)

8. ^Sulimo has got you covered!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I'm not sure why the remote folk must use remote desktop (or other similar system) instead of running their own instances of FG on their own computers?

Blog Entries
    If you have the $149 version then your players can install the free client on their own computers.

On Steam you are looking at the Upgrade product - you must first buy the base product and then the Upgrade.

Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone I think I will try the 3 month period and see if this will work for us

@damned; you're totally right, I was looking at the upgrade license

Quote Originally Posted by Imagix View Post
    I'm not sure why the remote folk must use remote desktop (or other similar system) instead of running their own instances of FG on their own computers?
    I started using a notebook for the players (during fully analog play) so I didn't had to print all my hints, NPC faces etc, on paper. At some point, one of our core players moved to another (far away) town and couldn't participate locally any longer. Thats why we started using any desk for him. If FGU works well for us, we would replace any desk with FGU of course.

Thread Information