STAR TREK 2d20

Thread: Map Issues

Map Issues

So My group has been using google slides for maps for the past couple years, and have decided to switch over to FG. We've figured out the issues of connecting to a campaign, and I've bought the Mad Mage for use in it, but I can't seem to get the map to work for me. When I open a map, I drag player tokens from the combat tracker into the map, and *I* can see the tokens and their visibility, but the players to which those tokens are assigned can't see it, even when they open up those maps. I'm sure there's something I'm missing, but I can't seem to find it.

Welcome to FG.

You don''t say whether you are using Classic or Unity (I'm going to assume Classic since you mention connection issues). Are you using the maps from the module? Did you share the images with your players? Can you step through what it is you are doing so that we might be able to diagnose the issue?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Did you share the map with them? With the map open, right click on it, find the Sharing button, then Share Record. And if you have Line of Sight options turned on(assuming FGU), they'll need to click on their character to see what their character has visible around them (this option you can toggle on or off by clicking the lock in upper right of the map window, then look for the little eyeball symbol [it says "Enable\Disable LOS" when you hover over it]). If you want to be able to test these things, launch a separate instance of FGU on your computer and connect to the session you have open (you can search for your session by putting in your account name in that upper right box when joining a campaign). This will allow you to join as a player's view and be able to get a good idea of what your players should experience and how you can talk them through things on their end.

And if you need to see what they are actually seeing by having them share their screen in something like Discord, so it makes it easier to know what they are doing versus what they might be saying (always the hazard of doing computer support remotely).

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTBC View Post
    Did you share the map with them? With the map open, right click on it, find the Sharing button, then Share Record. And if you have Line of Sight options turned on(assuming FGU), they'll need to click on their character to see what their character has visible around them (this option you can toggle on or off by clicking the lock in upper right of the map window, then look for the little eyeball symbol [it says "Enable\Disable LOS" when you hover over it]). If you want to be able to test these things, launch a separate instance of FGU on your computer and connect to the session you have open (you can search for your session by putting in your account name in that upper right box when joining a campaign). This will allow you to join as a player's view and be able to get a good idea of what your players should experience and how you can talk them through things on their end.

And if you need to see what they are actually seeing by having them share their screen in something like Discord, so it makes it easier to know what they are doing versus what they might be saying (always the hazard of doing computer support remotely).
    Where would the share button be located?
    Also it is unity, and I am on linux. The connection issues were with me not inputting the ultimate key, and being in the free version.

as for a walkthrough of what I'm doing-
    I run my campaign,
    my players join said campaign
    they create players in the campaign, and I drag those tokens into the init tracker
    I then open up the map, in this case dungeon level one (player)
    I then drag the players from the init tracker onto the map.
    On my players end, nothing seems to change from when they join, and me putting them on the map does nothing.

It sounds like you just need to share the image with them. With the image open, right click on the image and a wheel will appear. One of the options on the wheel is to share with client(I believe that's the wording). Click on that and they should be able to see the map.

As Eltrym said (and I included in my previous message), right click on the map, on the radial dial in the lower left is a button that when you mouse over it says "Sharing" and click on it, the next options will have "Share Record" that you click on as well. This will also pop open the the map on each of the connected players menu's.

With being on Linux, I'm not sure how you would open a second instance of FGU to connect to your hosted session, which would give you the view of a player. We can do this in Windows easily enough, but no idea how you would do it in Linux offhand.

Another easy way to share is:
    Look at the map. In the top left corner is an icon or pin of some kind (depending on your theme).
    In the upper left corner of the screen are the character portraits for your players.
    Drag the pin to each player you want to share with.

Hey there, I was having a similar issue. There is no share image button on the battle maps I use for the waterdeep dragon heist module. This is since switching to FGU. However the token in the top left corner allows me to share these maps with specific players. I was still just wondering if there is a reason there is no share image/record option.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Juiceshirt View Post
    Hey there, I was having a similar issue. There is no share image button on the battle maps I use for the waterdeep dragon heist module. This is since switching to FGU. However the token in the top left corner allows me to share these maps with specific players. I was still just wondering if there is a reason there is no share image/record option.
    There is no right mouse share when the map is in background mode. Take the map out of background, share, then return to background.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information