FG Spreadshirt Swag

LFP AD&D OSR TOTM style Castles & Crusades - Sunday 12pm MNT

Campaign: B2 Return to the Keep on the Borderlands
    System: OSR, Castles & Crusades (modern version of AD&D)
    Setting: Greyhawk
    VTT: FGU Ultimate License
    Format: Discord (I will have my cam on, yours not required)
    Time/Date: Sunday, 12:00 PM MST until 4:00 PM MST
    Remaining Slots: 1 of 4 remaining

Always wanted to try playing AD&D? Tired of the grid-based focus of newer editions? Now is your chance! One spot left. Will teach Fantasy Grounds and C&C (AD&D)

About me: Hello, I'm a young grognard and been playing AD&D since grade school! I worked with TSR at westcoast conventions in 1988-90, sword fighter in the SCA, fantasy, scifi nerd my entire life. I was that kid that read Thomas Convenant in class, started the D&D club, went to all the conventions. Got involved and ran modules and campaigns using AD&D, AD&D 2e, Traveler, D&D 3e, 5e and C&C. In the last 3 years I played and ran in person and on FG AD&D, 2e, 5e and C&C. Finally converted the B2 into FGU. Currently running two in person groups. Now looking to run another on FG.

DM Style: There are two types of old school OSR DM's. Grid-based with RP only in town and the RP DM with RPing dramatic combat with a narrative. I am the later. Back in the 80's I used to host panels that tried to get DM's to RP in combat. We come a long way since then. Toss that battlemap away and try running it with theater of the mind (TOTM). I love miniatures, I 3D print and paint miniatures. But D&D can be more immersive and dramatic without them. Yes, they can be needed for epic boss battles with 30 goblins and 2 ogres and evil priests. Its the DM's job to describe whats going on. The player describes what he is doing. The DM describes what happens. I encourage RPing and reward it. Also encourage asking questions. Confirming and verifying. Absolutely. I see my job to support and assist the players do great memorable creative things. Pull actions off that no newer D&D system would ever allow. Lets have fun!

Adventure: This is the newer B2 Return to the Keep on the Borderlands. I rewrote and re-organized its use and layout for running it in FGU. Also, added a lot of further detail and dialog and descriptions. Since almost everyone has already played the original B2, this version is significantly different to be fun for almost anyone. It's perfect for a small canned campaign that offers everything D&D has to offer in the game. Perfect for teaching old-school D&D and vest players for future bigger campaigns.

Looking for new players:

• Im seeking adults that may never have played before.
    • Only ever played D&D 5e and want something more.
    • Or that have a long time ago and want to play again.
    • Require Discord with excellent internet

What is C&C?
    It is the modern version of AD&D. Gary Gygax and the Chenault brothers got together around the year 2000. They donned their "25 years of AD&D experience" hats and created "AD&D 3 edition". If Gygax still worked at TSR, this is what D&D 3e would have been.

With Castles and Crusades, EVERYTHING was rethought; spells, races, classes, equipment, encumbrance, etc. But there is no need for Skills or Feats - you RP the skills based on the characters background and using C&C's singular Attribute Based mechanic. It's much like how an AD&D DM would house rule stuff on the fly, based on what's on your character sheet!

These rules are fast, light and more importantly, something other OSR systems don't have - they will flex without breaking! Robust... just like AD&D 2e. Robust enough to run a full epic campaign. Importantly, created by Gygax, not just some basement DM.

I've run three groups in it over the last 2 years and it's a lot of fun with modern sensibilities IE. rolling higher to succeed, no THACO.

Hope that explains it! Based on Gary Gygax's original gaming group in 1972 he calls this AD&D version Castles & Crusades.

I would like to play if you are still looking for someone. I am also an old school player. Started playing back around 1980. Only recently heard about C&C so I bought it for FG and I really like the rules. Sunday afternoons fit my schedule perfectly. Hope to hear back from you and if u have any questions for me please ask!

Great name Accerak! How is the undead life treating you Right now this sunday group just filled up but I am considering running a 2nd group soon. Your welcome to join the Discord channel.
    https://discord.gg/UftfwgWs

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLP38 View Post
    Great name Accerak! How is the undead life treating you Right now this sunday group just filled up but I am considering running a 2nd group soon. Your welcome to join the Discord channel.
    https://discord.gg/UftfwgWs
    You are the first person I've met in probably 20 years that knows what that name is from

Makes me even more disappointed I missed the opportunity to play! If anything changes, please let me know. Or if you are starting a second group, I'd love to get in on it. And I will join the discord channel!

I'm interested if you get another group together

Quote Originally Posted by Accerak View Post
    You are the first person I've met in probably 20 years that knows what that name is from

Makes me even more disappointed I missed the opportunity to play! If anything changes, please let me know. Or if you are starting a second group, I'd love to get in on it. And I will join the discord channel!
    Sent you a DM in Discord. Have an opening now

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I'm interested if you get another group together
    Rael we are looking for a Wizard type character to join us if your interested.

Our group of 4 players has room for 1 more starting this sunday 2/7/2021 if anyone is interested. Message me.

Hello! I'm new to FG but old to AD&D.
    I love the return to the old-school 'theatre of the mind' approach that seems to be popular today.
    Imagination and a sense of humor are the most improtant elements, not rules and die rolls.
    I want to laugh and co-create a hero's story.
    I am available all day every Sunday.
    Please message me if interested.

The group has reached the caves and we had a player leave. Everyone had 800 exp each. So there is an opening if anyone would like to join the campaign. Contact me to setup a time for session 0 to make your character.

Thread Information