STAR TREK 2d20

Asset window performance issues

Hi,

FGU's performance is pretty good these days, but there is one place where it really slows down for me still - searches in the asset window.

I have a large number of assets because I have a lot of maps, tokens and map-making icons; I make a lot of my maps inside FGU now. All my data are in the SmiteWorks/images folder and subfolders thereof. It comes to 18 GB and 32490 items - a lot, but not a stupidly insane amount IMO. I've got most of the FGU art packs and the Devin Night token packs too.

I have verified that the same thing happens in a blank campaign (still with the same top-level images folder contents of course).

It works OK when used without a search term, and works OK with a long search term that doesn't return too many entries.

But if you accidentally choose too short a search term which gives a lot of results, I get the spinning wheel of doom and FG can lock up for minutes at a time. It's all too easy during a game to have to have an enforced tea break because I foolishly searched for "P" to the find the "P" letter token without thinking!

Happens in 5E and SWADE, so seems to be independent of ruleset.

For example:
    searching images for "park" - 2 seconds
    searching images for "par" - 30+ seconds

worse yet, it doesn't seem to cache results, so hitting the next page arrow incurs the same wait to display page two. Just resizing the window incurs the same wait, too.

I'm on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 on a 10 core iMac Pro 128 GB Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB system and everything is on SSD. Mac OS can search these same directories very fast (which I know is using caching via Spotlight, but it shows that the results returned aren't THAT overwhelming).

When it is waiting, FGU pegs CPU usage at 100%, so this is presumably single-threaded; the machine is sitting idle with 9 cores and the GPU twiddling thumbs.

At the very least it would be nice to cache the search output so once you've done the search the window can be resized and next arrows can be used without slowdown, but a different search implementation might be even better I suspect

Cheers, Hywel Phillips

Yeah, this was noted by ddavison as well; and something we want to look at. Right now, we don't have any mechanism to delay load assets. If they need to be displayed, then we have to load and display. So, any searches will have to load all assets that will fit in the window, generate thumbnails and draw the thumbnails for the search results.

Most likely, we'll probably implement a minimum length on the filter in the short term to help with the issue. The long term fix is to add some sort of delayed loading; but it will have to be looked at with other priorities as we come off the vision/lighting/forge projects.

Regards,
    JPG

Brilliant, thank you. Really enjoying running games with FGU

Hywel

Blog Entries
    You may want to take a look at and vote on these ideas as well;
    https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=135420
    https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=135423

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information