Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    For "true player" experience, that's possible to accomplish with a player instance running on the GM machine -- assuming that the GM machine has enough capability to handle two instances. A second or third monitor will enable you to see the player instance at the same time as the GM instance.

However, I'm glad I found this thread before I pulled the trigger on an additional standard license. A thread a couple months ago told me to do exactly what Ulric is trying to do, which was to purchase an additional license for FGU. I just hadn't acted on it yet because I was dubious as to it working.

Scenario: I have a laptop. I want to prep stuff on it while I'm not on my main computer. When I am on my main computer GMing I want my daughter to be able to use my laptop. It takes over 30 minutes to re-update all my considerable purchases, so changing accounts is not an ideal solution. Obviously as a player it doesn't really matter that all of those modules are on the machine since she can only access the modules I share anyway... but the big deal is having to re-update when I change the user account from her account back to my account. Since that's usually when I'm elsewhere and have some time to work on a campaign module, that is pretty unhelpful.

Solution: I want to purchase a 2nd license on my account so that I don't have to swap it when my daughter uses my laptop. I already have FGU Ultimate, but wouldn't have an issue buying another standard license to be able to handle this scenario and avoid the re-download. At least it's not as slow as FGC, which took over an hour to download all my purchases on a gbit connection. :/

Blog Entries
    create a batch file that copies all your \vault, \modules, \rulesets content to another path and one to copy it back.
    when you switch back to your primary account run the script to copy your data back and when you update it will be much quicker

@Ulric, try this.

On your second computer setup FGU with the standard license and your usual FG account. Do an update to get all of the latest product updates related to that account. Then use as usual.

If you need to join a session on your Ultimate license computer then do the following steps (all on the Standard license computer):
    1. Start FGU and click the "Settings" button.
    2. On the "Basic" first tab change your Username and Password to the second account. Click "Log In" and make sure it shows a successful login. Click the "Save" button. Do not run an update!
    3. Don't run an update, click "Launch Fantasy Grounds" or close the updater window that appears and start FGU.
    4. The console will appear with errors related to accessing any extensions that are in the vault - themes, decals, etc.. Ignore those and close the Console window.
    5. Join the game running on your Ultimate license. You'll be able to connect fine.
    6. Once the campaign loads for the player the console window will appear again with some errors relating to products it can't access in the vault. Close the console window. In my testing it didn't appear again.
    7. Play the game as normal.

When you want to reset back to your normal account on the second computer do the following:
    2. On the "Basic" first tab change your Username and Password to the main account. Click "Log In" and make sure it shows a successful login. Click the "Save" button.
    3. You don't have to run an update, your vault files will still be there from the last time you updated. Click "Launch Fantasy Grounds" or close the updater window that appears and start FGU.
    4. Use FG as usual. The vault files from the previous time you updated with this user will still be present.

You'll only have the slight inconvenience of having to swap accounts (it takes all of 30 seconds) and the console window displaying errors once when loading FGU and then once when joining a game. You don't need to run through updates after changing accounts.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    @Ulric, try this.

On your second computer setup FGU with the standard license and your usual FG account. Do an update to get all of the latest product updates related to that account. Then use as usual.

If you need to join a session on your Ultimate license computer then do the following steps (all on the Standard license computer):
    2. On the "Basic" first tab change your Username and Password to the second account. Click "Log In" and make sure it shows a successful login. Click the "Save" button. Do not run an update!
    3. Don't run an update, click "Launch Fantasy Grounds" or close the updater window that appears and start FGU.
    4. The console will appear with errors related to accessing any extensions that are in the vault - themes, decals, etc.. Ignore those and close the Console window.
    5. Join the game running on your Ultimate license. You'll be able to connect fine.
    6. Once the campaign loads for the player the console window will appear again with some errors relating to products it can't access in the vault. Close the console window. In my testing it didn't appear again.
    7. Play the game as normal.

When you want to reset back to your normal account on the second computer do the following:
    2. On the "Basic" first tab change your Username and Password to the main account. Click "Log In" and make sure it shows a successful login. Click the "Save" button.
    3. You don't have to run an update, your vault files will still be there from the last time you updated. Click "Launch Fantasy Grounds" or close the updater window that appears and start FGU.
    4. Use FG as usual. The vault files from the previous time you updated with this user will still be present.

You'll only have the slight inconvenience of having to swap accounts (it takes all of 30 seconds) and the console window displaying errors once when loading FGU and then once when joining a game. You don't need to run through updates after changing accounts.
    Your suggestion was what I was originally doing but the console errors were concerning. I will follow your advice and use it.

Thank you to anyone that took the time to try and help.
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Time Zone: US Eastern (GMT -5)
    Playing -
    Starfinder, D&D, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Hero System aka Champions, Traveller, and more!
    My Forge Creations

Thread Information