5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Problem using my FGU Licenses

I have put off asking this question for a while but I can't wait any longer. I own a FGU Ultimate and a Standard License under my username for both FGC and FGU. I had two license when I used FGC and it allowed me to connect my two computers for testing and accessing my purchases. I had planned to do the same with FGU.

The problem is I can not connect to my GM computer from my player computer because it says there is a license conflict. The conflict seems to be that I am using the same FG username on both computers. I don't have license conflict if I use a "dummy" FG username. I can connect as a player and everything works fine.

There are two problems with the "dummy" FG account solution.
    1. I have to switch usernames on the "Player" Computer if I want to look at things I have purchased.
    2. Every time I switch accounts I am forced to redo updates because again my purchases are not linked between the two names. I own a lot of content so it takes a while to switch between accounts.

Am I overlooking something that would allow me to use my FG Licenses and my purchased content the same way I currently can with FGC?
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Time Zone: US Eastern (GMT -5)
    Playing -
    Starfinder, D&D, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Hero System aka Champions, Traveller, and more!
    My Forge Creations

For FGU, only a single player instance on the same machine as the GM can use the same user name as the GM. If you want to login with same user name as GM, then you have to do it from same machine. This is by design to ensure unique forum accounts are used when connecting, as well as to improve content security.

Regards,
    JPG

I want to log in as a player from my second computer using the GM user name like I can using FGC. It's very painful to redownloading my products over and over again. The more I purchase, the longer it takes to switch back and forth. I understood that the FGU license worked differently from the FGC license, but I thought I would ask just if I had misunderstood.

It seems my second FGU license is useless and a waste of money because it's tied to my username that already has an Ultimate license, and a username can never use more than one license.
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Playing -
    Starfinder, D&D, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Hero System aka Champions, Traveller, and more!
    My Forge Creations

The licenses are not tied to the user names. Just install the second license on another computer, but use a different user name. I do that all the time in my office, since I have 3 different computers that I use for testing.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The licenses are not tied to the user names. Just install the second license on another computer, but use a different user name. I do that all the time in my office, since I have 3 different computers that I use for testing.

Regards,
    JPG
    As stated in the first post I have already been doing that but it's very frustrating having to redownload updates every time I have to switch usernames.

I also don't need a Paid license to do your suggestion. That's why I see the second license as worthless.
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Playing -
    My Forge Creations

I still don't see why you need to change user names for the second computer. If you need to share books from the first computer to the second computer for the player client to use, you can do that from the Library Module Activation window.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I still don't see why you need to change user names for the second computer. If you need to share books from the first computer to the second computer for the player client to use, you can do that from the Library Module Activation window.
    If a GM truly wants to test the Player experience then He must use a second computer to join the game. The second computer is used by me as a GM computer most of the time. If I want to experience what a player does when they join the game I have to switch usernames. The second computer has a paid license that is different from the FG server the second computer but it will not connect, so it forces long wait times for updates to be complete. You have to do updates twice any time you want to put the second computer into player mode and then back to GM mode. I can understand it being that way if I only had one paid FGU license but I have two but the second license is no better than a demo install.

I'm not upset. I love SW, FG and I think your a great Mod. I just came to ask if I was overlooking something.

Other than gifting a FGU license to someone else, I can't think of any reason someone would ever need to purchase a second FGU license if they already on an FGU Ultimate license. I will just consider my second license as a donation to SW.
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Playing -
    My Forge Creations

Quote Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
    If a GM truly wants to test the Player experience then He must use a second computer to join the game. The second computer is used by me as a GM computer most of the time. If I want to experience what a player does when they join the game I have to switch usernames. The second computer has a paid license that is different from the FG server the second computer but it will not connect, so it forces long wait times for updates to be complete. You have to do updates twice any time you want to put the second computer into player mode and then back to GM mode. I can understand it being that way if I only had one paid FGU license but I have two but the second license is no better than a demo install.

I'm not upset. I love SW, FG and I think your a great Mod. I just came to ask if I was overlooking something.

Other than gifting a FGU license to someone else, I can't think of any reason someone would ever need to purchase a second FGU license if they already on an FGU Ultimate license. I will just consider my second license as a donation to SW.
    Just keep the Standard licence PC as player only all the time and the Ultimate PC (Brand name Copyright Jiminimonka 2021 ) as DM all the time, then it won't be doing the updates. When you swap licences from Ultimate to Standard the updater will remove all the Ultimate content, and when you swap back it has to download it all again. So, don't swap uses, and problem is solved. Also just using the same licence on the same PC (launch a second instance of FGU on the same PC) and the second instance will be just like the players connecting. I do it often.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    Just keep the Standard licence PC as player only all the time and the Ultimate PC (Brand name Copyright Jiminimonka 2021 ) as DM all the time, then it won't be doing the updates. When you swap licences from Ultimate to Standard the updater will remove all the Ultimate content, and when you swap back it has to download it all again. So, don't swap uses, and problem is solved. Also just using the same licence on the same PC (launch a second instance of FGU on the same PC) and the second instance will be just like the players connecting. I do it often.
    Thank you for your reply but you do not seem to understand what I posted. (I really mean that in a nice way.)
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Playing -
    My Forge Creations

Ulric,
    I think what is happening, is we aren't truly understanding the scenario you are asking about. We understand you have two computers. You have the computer you normally use as your GM computer, but sometimes you use it as your "player" computer. Is the other computer always the "host" of the game that is being run (using the Ultimate license)?

After much re-reading, I think I might see what is happening. When you use the "dummy" name, this name doesn't have access to all of the purchased content (since that is tied into your forum name)? Is that correct? And this is causing all of the reupdating (removing purchased content when on the dummy name, then redownloading when using your forum name)?

Thread Information