DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    The sooner the better! The competition is gaining momentum.
    Last edited by Valyar; January 19th, 2021 at 14:31.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    Maybe, but a piece of dung moving fast is still a piece of dung.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    Indeed. I've a couple of friends that are using other platforms because of it ;(
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Celestian, I have friends who abandoned Fantasy Grounds and migrated to Foundry, these friends felt hurt by the delay and the non-delivery of what was imagined ... I take advantage of both platforms, because I want to have fun, but I confess that I I would not be sad to be surprised and to surprise many who speak ill of Fantasy Grounds, showing a remarkable improvement ... I know they will say, ah but Foundry has had this for a long time, and we can say I know, now Fantasy Grounds has also

Blog Entries
    Something I find very interesting in these VTT comparison discussions, particularly about this feature or that feature, is the perspective of what a "long time" is.

To cite this specific example, Foundry was alpha released in Feb 2019 and Beta released in Jan 2020 and didn't reach full release until October 2020. That's less than 2 years since the first public alpha release. To me, that's not a "long time". Heck, I don't particularly think I've been using FG a long time, and it's been over 5 years for me. Maybe it's generational though.

Maybe it also depends upon how long you plan to be playing your RPGs and re-using your content, or how long you've been playing RPGs or into your hobbies. In that regards I'm a long hauler. Been playing RPGs for over 40 years, and expect to be playing, and using the content I've created on FG, for another 40 years. A year or three doesn't mean much in the larger scope of platform longevity and data re-use.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I completely agree with you, because before there was no possibility, behold, Fantasy Grounds Unity is launched and Foundry appears and becomes due to already come with resources that I know we will have and that will meet our needs, I see this "competition" as healthy because both companies must always be moving to keep their audience, but the worst thing for both is the constant judgment and the immediacy of the consumer, no matter if something was done today or yesterday, if something works or not..what he wants is to criticize and yes I know that it frustrates many producers, content generators, programmers, that is, it annoys the people involved for him to have his leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Something I find very interesting in these VTT comparison discussions, particularly about this feature or that feature, is the perspective of what a "long time" is.

To cite this specific example, Foundry was alpha released in Feb 2019 and Beta released in Jan 2020 and didn't reach full release until October 2020. That's less than 2 years since the first public alpha release. To me, that's not a "long time". Heck, I don't particularly think I've been using FG a long time, and it's been over 5 years for me. Maybe it's generational though.

Maybe it also depends upon how long you plan to be playing your RPGs and re-using your content, or how long you've been playing RPGs or into your hobbies. In that regards I'm a long hauler. Been playing RPGs for over 40 years, and expect to be playing, and using the content I've created on FG, for another 40 years. A year or three doesn't mean much in the larger scope of platform longevity and data re-use.
    ++

I've been using FG since 2014. Like LordEntrails, I have been playing pen and paper RPGs for even longer (over 30 years). When it was pen and paper (and I was much younger), I could not afford to purchase a bunch of books for different systems. All of my physical books are from one system (maybe 1.5 systems if you want to be really technical), so that is the system I DM/GM'ed. If players wanted to play a different system, they had to find a different DM/GM. If I purchase books (rulebooks, adventures, etc.) for a particular system, I DM/GM that system.

Maybe that is the difference, VTTs have given rise to one shots and strangers playing together. In Pen and Paper RPGs, you typically had a group of friends that played together for months or in some cases years. No friend would ever demand that the DM/GM change systems. It would have been rude, quite frankly, for someone to suggest as much.

Unless and until any other VTTs get automation, I have zero interest. I specifically purchased FG for the automation, everything else is gravy.

As the DM/GM, if people don't want to use FG, then they do not play my game. Players do not get to dictate to the DM/GM what tool(s) they choose to use, to me this is an extension of the DM/GM purchasing books.

Are you sure foundry has gotten out of beta? Their own web site shows the latest release as 0.7.9 on December 16th, anything with a version below 1.x is still beta to me.

Yes Foundry is still BETA, as I heard when he gets to 1.0 he will stop being BETA.
    I play in Fantasy Grounds Classic, Unity or Foundry but if I ever venture to teach, it will be in Fantasy Grounds Unity.
    I have practice and knowledge to deal with Fantasy Grounds, but I don't have the guts of a GM | DM

Quote Originally Posted by yako2020 View Post
    Celestian, I have friends who abandoned Fantasy Grounds and migrated to Foundry, these friends felt hurt by the delay and the non-delivery of what was imagined ... I take advantage of both platforms, because I want to have fun, but I confess that I I would not be sad to be surprised and to surprise many who speak ill of Fantasy Grounds, showing a remarkable improvement ... I know they will say, ah but Foundry has had this for a long time, and we can say I know, now Fantasy Grounds has also
    I expect it will show more improvement over time, believe me I certainly hope so as I am heavily invested in the platform. But, thats me, others are not and I would rather those folks choose FG because of the features it has and not another system for what it has over FG.

I look forward to seeing what they can add and improve... but, hoping for sooner rather than later. The world moves pretty fast these days and the old adage "you snooze, you loose" is fairly apt.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

I'm not interested in the competition. They can't do what FG does.

Thread Information