DMsGuild
Page 3 of 8 First 12345 ... Last
  1. #21
    Distance between tokens is a pretty clear definition. The space between the 2 tokens.

    The 10 ft line is the distance between the tokens.



    Distance from center of token to center of another token would, I expect, be called something else.

    That's the line of 20 ft.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Content Bundle (All The AD&D Content)
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    My Twitch Channel for AD&D and FG related streams (See schedule for live days)
    My YouTube for FG related Tutorials and AD&D Actual Plays
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums.

  2. #22
    deer_buster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    St Louis Metro
    Posts
    822
    My humble interpretation of this...

    getTokensWithinDistance(token, #) -> (table of tokens) -> this should get all tokens that have some portion of their space included within the radius from the center of the provided token
    getDistanceBetween(token, token) -> (number/nil) -> I see this as the number of units distance from the center of one token to the center of the closest square of another, or vice-versa. If I am in a 5' square with a 5' reach, then the token next to me is considered within 5' of me, regardless of its size
    aka Laendra

    (Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

    My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

    Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

    Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.


  3. #23
    deer_buster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    St Louis Metro
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    Distance between tokens is a pretty clear definition. The space between the 2 tokens.

    The 10 ft line is the distance between the tokens.



    Distance from center of token to center of another token would, I expect, be called something else.

    That's the line of 20 ft.
    It would require a 15' reach to hit that dragon
    aka Laendra

    (Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

    My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

    Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

    Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.


  4. #24
    The distances will be calculated as center of grid square to center of grid square distances. Since large creatures take up more than one grid square, the closest is used for distance calculations. (In the example picture above, this would be 15.) These APIS should work the same; and I will be updating them as soon as I get time.

    Regards,
    JPG

  5. #25
    deer_buster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    St Louis Metro
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The distances will be calculated as center of grid square to center of grid square distances. Since large creatures take up more than one grid square, the closest is used for distance calculations. (In the example picture above, this would be 15.) These APIS should work the same; and I will be updating them as soon as I get time.

    Regards,
    JPG
    Just curious, will it understand and handle the variant for diagonal measurement in 5e if it is set to Variant?
    aka Laendra

    (Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

    My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

    Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

    Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.


  6. #26
    It will be whatever the values are for the image, which are based on the ruleset settings. It should be identical to what is displayed on the distance arrows, once fixed.

    Regards,
    JPG

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The distances will be calculated as center of grid square to center of grid square distances. Since large creatures take up more than one grid square, the closest is used for distance calculations. (In the example picture above, this would be 15.) These APIS should work the same; and I will be updating them as soon as I get time.

    Regards,
    JPG
    That's unfortunate and means I'll have to keep my own version of distance adjustments for size of tokens.

    It seems odd to me to measure from the center of a creature and not it's edge when referring to distance to a thing. When I measure distance between walls, I measure the outside edge of one wall to the outside edge of the other.

    Without an edge to edge measurement auras will not work properly when they are suppose to have say a 10 ft radius. If you have a very large creature, the aura wouldn't even get out of it's own space.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Content Bundle (All The AD&D Content)
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    My Twitch Channel for AD&D and FG related streams (See schedule for live days)
    My YouTube for FG related Tutorials and AD&D Actual Plays
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums.

  8. #28
    deer_buster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    St Louis Metro
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    That's unfortunate and means I'll have to keep my own version of distance adjustments for size of tokens.

    It seems odd to me to measure from the center of a creature and not it's edge when referring to distance to a thing. When I measure distance between walls, I measure the outside edge of one wall to the outside edge of the other.

    Without an edge to edge measurement auras will not work properly when they are suppose to have say a 10 ft radius. If you have a very large creature, the aura wouldn't even get out of it's own space.
    See I read that totally different. If you have a large creature with a 10ft aura, it starts from the center of the closest square of the icon to the target being measured. Adjacent square would be 5 ft, and next square out would be 10 ft. This way you would look to the center of the square being "covered" If the effect doesn't extend that far, I would rule that it doesn't affect
    aka Laendra

    (Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

    My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

    Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

    Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.


  9. #29
    damned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    23,500
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    If you have a very large creature, the aura wouldn't even get out of it's own space.
    Just curious... how would you expect that particular case to work?

    MoreCore - Generic Ruleset
    --- Projects ---
    Extensions | Tutorials | MoreCore | MoreCore Themes | Call of Cthulhu | Maelstrom | FG Con

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by deer_buster View Post
    See I read that totally different. If you have a large creature with a 10ft aura, it starts from the center of the closest square of the icon to the target being measured. Adjacent square would be 5 ft, and next square out would be 10 ft. This way you would look to the center of the square being "covered" If the effect doesn't extend that far, I would rule that it doesn't affect
    Still, it's not the distance between the tokens, it's the distance between inner token space, not between. Infact, with the inability of FGU to measure half-square slots (FGC did) it would probably make matters more difficult to calculate.

    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Just curious... how would you expect that particular case to work?
    It was a point to better define distance measurements. Not so much how auras work. In this particular case if the dragon was huge, took up larger than normal space and had a 5ft aura it wouldn't extend beyond his own token if you measured it from center of token.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Content Bundle (All The AD&D Content)
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    My Twitch Channel for AD&D and FG related streams (See schedule for live days)
    My YouTube for FG related Tutorials and AD&D Actual Plays
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
DMsGuild Classic

Log in

Log in