DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Voicemeeter Potato, Discord and Syrinscape question

Hi all,

Starting with the lead - I'm looking for a good video on using sound with Fantasy Grounds using Discord and Voicemeeter.

The details on my current set up 2 PC setup: I'm actually able to run sound for my players using 1 pc for FG, Discord, Syrinscape and Youtube using Voicemeeter Potato. I'm able to use a 2nd pc to run a second instance of Discord to run my voice.

What I'd like to do: For a number of reasons, I'd like to run everything from 1 pc. For the life of me, I cant figure it out. Does anyone have a recommendation and link for a video walking thru the process to get what I want? I've tried a couple videos, but still not grokking it.

I created a second Discord Account for Syrinscape and ran Discord in the browser for that one and my voice through the app.
    That way there were two accounts in the Voice chat and everyone could change the volume or mute the Syrinscape Account as they wanted to.
    Worked like a charm but my players found Syrinscape too distracting so i dropped it.

Well I set all my stuff on Windows To Master Default Output go to "voicemeeter INPUT vaio"
    In turn within Voicemeeter; all these sounds are set to go from "voicemeeter VAIO" (B1) to A1 (headphones) AND voicemeeter AUX (B2)
    Discord "Input Device" Is set to get from AUX Output
    Discord "Output Device" is sent to Headphones Directly

From memory...
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

I am using single computer but without Voicemeeter, as it is just too much for the purpose and I believe this is also what majority of people need to do if running Windows, as there is already audio router built in Windows where you can route the inputs and outputs to different devices. In MacOS you need 3rd party software and for Windows only the free audio cable is enough. Of course, you won't have the mixer and extra functionality from the Voicemeeter, but in 90% of the cases I found out it is not necessary.

So my setup is:
    Discord
    Discord PTB with second account using the Virtual Audio Cable
    Virtual Audio Cable (just the free one)
    Syrinscape + Spotify + Edge redirected to the Virtual Audio Cable

In general the setup looks as in the attached screenshot from the software audio router of Windows. It goes via the audio cable to the second discord instance and this allows the players to control the volume of the sound account, even block if when they don't want to. Also I noticed this setup has less latency than going via the Banana.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

I ran across this and actually managed to set up what he describes. It's very nice if you're looking to get a bit more complexity for some cool features.

This is what my setup looked like when I was done. Cable-A is where i push Syrinscape which is why I setup the aux/ducking config there he mentions.

---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

All - I apologize for not responding sooner, but thank you for your feedback. Its been very helpful.

Valyar - I do have a follow-up question on your solution -
    I have set up very similar to yours - but I'm not able to hear my or my players voices on my pc...everyone else is fine on their end....just not hearing it on my pc....when I log in through my ipad as another instance - it is all fine. Any idea why I cant hear the others on my pc with this setup? (Also ....I can hear everything going thru the virtual cable for syrinscape....just not the discord voices of my players.

Sound Settings 021621.png

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    I am using single computer but without Voicemeeter, as it is just too much for the purpose and I believe this is also what majority of people need to do if running Windows, as there is already audio router built in Windows where you can route the inputs and outputs to different devices. In MacOS you need 3rd party software and for Windows only the free audio cable is enough. Of course, you won't have the mixer and extra functionality from the Voicemeeter, but in 90% of the cases I found out it is not necessary.

So my setup is:
    Discord
    Discord PTB with second account using the Virtual Audio Cable
    Virtual Audio Cable (just the free one)
    Syrinscape + Spotify + Edge redirected to the Virtual Audio Cable

In general the setup looks as in the attached screenshot from the software audio router of Windows. It goes via the audio cable to the second discord instance and this allows the players to control the volume of the sound account, even block if when they don't want to. Also I noticed this setup has less latency than going via the Banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Hi all,

Starting with the lead - I'm looking for a good video on using sound with Fantasy Grounds using Discord and Voicemeeter.

The details on my current set up 2 PC setup: I'm actually able to run sound for my players using 1 pc for FG, Discord, Syrinscape and Youtube using Voicemeeter Potato. I'm able to use a 2nd pc to run a second instance of Discord to run my voice.

What I'd like to do: For a number of reasons, I'd like to run everything from 1 pc. For the life of me, I cant figure it out. Does anyone have a recommendation and link for a video walking thru the process to get what I want? I've tried a couple videos, but still not grokking it.
    I have a number of videos that might be helpful. See here:

https://youtu.be/j6PRwButeko
    Live stream: https://www.twitch.tv/gwydione
    Youtube replays of fg sessions and tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQr...bIpAauZB41z8gA

Free stuff:
    D&D5e FAQ module for fg: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/196704/FAQs
    FG 5e Module Conversions: https://tinyurl.com/y6awo2la
    Map Maker Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/y3awlo4b
    Roll Player Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/y399kffz
    Rangers of Shadow Deep Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/rnyrgwg

@Talen, will drop you screenshot of my setup tomorrow when I am on the pc
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

I think I figured it out but would still like to see your screenshot when you have a sec. I think the issue was after a reboot, somehow my Discord PTB output switched to default instead of my speakers....I think switching back did the trick.
    Also, Gwydian - your videos were very helpful - I saw those on one of my earlier searches and coupled with Valyars post convinced me to drop voicemeeter. Nice software - but something always pops up for me when I use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    I think I figured it out but would still like to see your screenshot when you have a sec. I think the issue was after a reboot, somehow my Discord PTB output switched to default instead of my speakers....I think switching back did the trick.
    Also, Gwydian - your videos were very helpful - I saw those on one of my earlier searches and coupled with Valyars post convinced me to drop voicemeeter. Nice software - but something always pops up for me when I use it.
    Talen, here's a few tips from my players that really helped me get the sound right using Discord PTB:

1. Be sure to turn off ALL the noise reduction, cancellation, enhancement settings in Discord PTB. You want the raw audio pump through. My players complained initially about the audio being choppy, cutting out, clipping, etc. without doing this. Once I went RAW, they loved the sound.
    2. Route your Syrinscape through a VAIO separate channel on VM Potato to better control the output. Then turn OFF the speaker output for that channel - route it through to Discord PTB only. By doing this, you'll here exactly what your players hear through Discord as you play (along with their voices), and it lets you better control the audio experience while you play.
    3. Audio quality may vary, even within the audio playback, if you're using something like youtube to broadcast music (instead of or on top of Syrinscape). Follow the same setup for Syrinscape, and this will also let you directly control the audio output for supplemental sounds (I recommend separate VAIO channels or VCs for each for the most control).

I hope these extra tips help anyone who may be tinkering with the idea of bringing sounds to the VTT session!
    Last edited by rkjanik; February 16th, 2021 at 23:05.

Thread Information