5E Character Create Playlist

Adding custom content to FG2 rulebooks?

Hello, I bought FG2 last week and I have been trying to understand how to add my own content to the basic rule set.

I have unpak'd the pak file from the FG2 directory and been looking at the data, but the content seems bit empty considering it should (?) have the basic data there - i.e. the feats that are already in the basic set.

So how do I add text to the basic rulebook(s) or am I forced to create a new book for my custom content?

Quote Originally Posted by zodan
    Hello, I bought FG2 last week and I have been trying to understand how to add my own content to the basic rule set.

I have unpak'd the pak file from the FG2 directory and been looking at the data, but the content seems bit empty considering it should (?) have the basic data there - i.e. the feats that are already in the basic set.

So how do I add text to the basic rulebook(s) or am I forced to create a new book for my custom content?
    The text you're looking for actually resides now in .mod files located in your FGII's application data folder (in the module subfolder).

For "custom" information - I think it would be best to use a new file to house these rules, as then you'll be able to share, or not share it, with your players as you see fit

The easiest way to learn how to make your own files is to examine and "copy" the structure of the existing .mod files in that same directory (these files are essentially .zip files, renamed to .mod. So most compression utilities (I use 7Zip) will be able to open them)

Hope that helps some, if not, feel free to contact us again

V
    Vincent Kingston
    [email protected]

Exactly the information I was hoping for, thanks

Yeah, you don't want to use their files to add your data because it would be wiped out if they updated that file to fix an error.

Can I get a walk through...?

Kalan,

I read your post... understand what you intend, but not how you got there...

For example...

I took the d20spells.mod file and renamed it to d20spells.zip. I was then able to open it and found 3 files:

client.xml
    definition.xml
    thumbnail.png

I quickly determined the definition file is the "can" that holds the spell definitions.

After adding the new spells I want... what should this (or even these files because I am uncertain if the client and thumbnail files need to be included) file be named and where should it be placed?

Something that wonderful people at Smiteworks need to consider is adding some sort of basic editor to the program so that people don't have to fight with XML and such I think. But that is just my opinion.

Thanks in advance.

F.

Step-by-step module creation...

As Griogre mentioned, it's best not to add functionality to the already existing modules, as they may be overwritten during a product update.

1) Grab one of the modules and make a copy, then rename it ("myspells.mod", for example).

2) Change the filetype from .mod to .zip and unzip it into the Modules folder (make sure you don't have other modules already unzipped in there, or it will become quite confusing with possibly overlapping files).

3) The definition.xml file is a necessary component of EVERY module and make sure you alter the <ruleset> if you're not using the normal d20 one.

4) The client.xml holds the data you'll be dealing with. Check out the following for details on the three types of data containers for modules: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ead.php?t=6446

5) The thumbnail.pgn is the image which will appear next to the module's name in the module selector and library windows. (Make sure the definition.xml and data container file both have the EXACT same name, otherwise the image won't appear in the library).

6) Make any changes or additions to the data container .xml file.

7) Select the files and zip them together, then rename back to "myspells.mod".

Another tip:
    If you'd like to constantly ensure that your updates to a module aren't meeting with serious bugs, make sure you CLOSE the book icon in FGII for the specific module before renaming it from .mod to .txt -- otherwise, you'll have to reboot FGII in order to see the changes.

Zakarius

Zak's pretty much nailed it down. In general, custom info you want to share with players is best done using the common.xml file, especially if the custom info contains anything "proprietary", since the only time the players have access to the info is when they're connected to your machine.

Spells are a little confusing with how they work in the d20 ruleset now, and a bit of a pain in the rear Since how you name the various tags is important for how FG (well...the default d20 ruleset) reads the data.
    Vincent Kingston
    [email protected]

Thread Information