STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last

[Extension] New Extension: Fast Tests

Hi all,

since Tests are such an important part of Savage Worlds since SWADE, but they are not automated in FG yet, I decided to write an extension to do just that.

How to use:
    - Select the character you want to initiate the test with.
    - Target your victim(s)
    - Roll the skill you want to test with
    - Check in the combat tracker, a box should appear under the entry of each of your targets
    - The target now has the option to defend against the test, using the button with the corresponding attribute on it.
    - If the attacker succeeds, they can choose whether to make the target Vulnerable or Distracted using the check boxes (an indicator for Shaken also appears if they get a Raise)
    - The GM has the option to click [Apply] to automatically set the appropriate states (Vulnerable/Distracted/Shaken)

Here is what it looks like in action:
    Screenshot from 2020-12-30 19-31-06.png
    Cathyra tested Marog with a thrown vase (Athletics). Marog tried to dodge with Agility, but only achieved a 3 to Cathyras 7. Cathyra may now choose whether Marog is Vulnerable or Distracted and Marog will be shaken. Once the GM clicks Apply, Marog will be in a lot of trouble.

If you want to, you can enable "Creative Combat" in the options under "Setting Rules". This requires that all players have access to the Creative Combat Table (either share it with them or have them load the SWADE Players Guide Module. If you do this, any eligible Test (done by a WC and succeeded with a raise) will result in a Creative Combat table roll. I've tried to automate as much of the results as possible. Here is what the program does for you automatically on each result:
    Second Wind: The GM can click the [Shaken] indicator to activate it. If they do, the target will be shaken, when the result is applied. If they don't, a message will be posted to the chat, reminding the player to heal.
    Inspiration: When the GM clicks Apply, the Tester gets a benny! (this does not account for possible Benny limits you may have set)
    Double Whammy: Both Vulnerable and Distracted can be activated (and are activated by default). Unless one is disabled, both states will be aplied to the victim.
    Shaken: On [Apply] the target gets shaken.
    Setback: A message is posted to the chat, that something should happen. Nothing to automate here.
    Insight: Essentially same as Second Wind, except a different message is posted to the chat.
    Seize The Moment: A message is posted to the chat.

Notes:
    Everyone can see the Distracted/Vulnerable selection, but only the GM and the player in charge of the aggressor can manipulate it.
    Only the GM and the player in charge of the tested character can see the Button for defence.
    [Unskilled] and skills that don't have an attribute associated with them don't work properly (clicking the defend button pops out a harmless but unhelpful error message), but the GM can still enter a defence value manually and the rest of the logic works without a problem.

I hope this helps to remind your players what a powerful tool tests are.

You can also find this extension on the Forge:
    https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/145/view

Have fun,

Chillhelm

Edit: New Version is out.

Update Notes:
    You can set "Creative Combat" in the Setting Rules now. If you do every test with a raise will result in a roll on the Creative Combat Table. For details see the new paragraph above.
    You can also set "Auto-roll: Test Defence" in the settings under "Automation (GM)". The avaiable options are "All", "PC only", "NPC only", "None".
    Update 03.01.2021:
    Fixed a (harmless) error message in FGClassic that would cause display bugs for clients.
    Update 26.03.2021:
    Fixed an issue where PCs would not be recognized as WC and thus were not performing CC rolls when those were called for.
    Update 01.04.2021:
    Fixed an error where Players that had no visibility (as in DB visibility) over an Aggressor in a Test would not see the result of CC and got an error message instead.
    Update 15.07.2021
    Fixed various layout issues that had crept in.
    Fixed a (harmless) error message that popped up for clients when a Test was initiated that didn't have an associated attribute.
    Update 27.07.2021
    Fixed an error message popping up when any roll is made using the GM Dice Tower.
    Update 27.12.2021
    Fixed some issues with the new ruleset version.
    Update 25.09.2022
    Fixed an issue with CC due to ruleset updates.
    Improved reroll handling for test defences.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by chillhelm; September 25th, 2022 at 09:24. Reason: Updates
    Check out my Extensions for Savage Worlds:
    Arcane Devices:Forge and github
    Mass Battles: Forge and github
    Fast Tests: Forge and github
    Reload Consumption: Forge
    Chase&Combat Compilation: Forge

Thank you for this extension!

I encourage my players to use tests, and sometimes throw things at them that would go easier with distracted and vulnerable conditions. This extension will really help that. As well as help with inflicting said conditions on them.

It will get put to use tomorrow evening.

Tests - very nice!

Really cool - is there any way to add in an option for Creative Combat instead of automatically shaken on a raise? I know we can just unshake the target and roll creative combat ourselves, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by tavishill View Post
    Really cool - is there any way to add in an option for Creative Combat instead of automatically shaken on a raise? I know we can just unshake the target and roll creative combat ourselves, of course.
    This is a brilliant idea, so I put it in (new version in top post). You can activate the Creative Combat setting rule in the Settings under Setting Rules. The results are not all automatable (like the choice between recovering Fatigue or Health, or Setback), but I did what I thought sensible (when in doubt: sending chat messages) and automated what I could. Remember to have all your players load the SWADE Players Guide module (or share the Creative Combat Table with them).

Wow! This is awesome! Great integration! Great work!

So is there a way to set up the skills like Frenzy for Work the room and work the crowd?

Work The Room and Work The Crowd are for support rolls.
    If you want to do something like Rabble Rouser (Taunt in a MBT) you can just target all affected creatures in the MBT and roll a Taunt roll. Everyone targeted will be tested.
    If you want to do a Frenzy like test (i.e. multiple skill die with one wild die on multiple victims), this can be done as well (with a couple of extra clicks):
    1. Target all targets (say N targets).
    2. Drag the skill you want to test with from the Charsheet/NPC sheet to the chatbox
    3. Before dropping it, right click N-1 times.
    4. Release the dice over the chatbox

This will roll N skill die and one wild die. The wild die will automatically replace the lowest skill die (or none if it is itself the lowest). Each target will have a list of tests for all results (so N results). The GM can coordinate with the player which target should receive which result and delete all the others.

I'd advise that you turn off automatic defense rolls, if you want to do this, because otherwise the player will know which of his targets rolled what on their defence, which might lead them to allocate the results differently.

nice, Sorry your right, I was hoping this was the solution to an issue that came up last night as my Scrullian took work the Crowd.. And I was trying to figure out how to do it.

Thread Information