5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 22 of 44 First ... 12202122232432 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagix View Post
    Egad, why _wouldn't_ you want releases (particularly ones with major subsystem changes) to go through the test channel first? This gives an opportunity for extension developers and module developers to verify their work before it all shows up in front of the entire user population.
    Because they release EVERY? release to the TEST channel. And only once was I warned - "Ye be dead if'n ye don't get in thar!" - I don't plan on checking every test to see if my stuff still works. I plan on being surprised unless "Ye be warned" is sent my way.

[I dropped my changes 10 minutes after the one that broke all the extensions - because I was warned it was going to break stuff. No such warning has occurred for this - and I updated all the deprecated stuff that was supposed to be in prep for the new stuff coming later back then. ]
    Last edited by SilentRuin; March 3rd, 2021 at 16:26.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

If I'd paid for an extension, I would expect that the developer is keeping on top of the releases so that I don't have to encounter breakages (or at least be notified of the breakages). And since there is no published interface (that I'm aware of), every release of FG could potentially break extensions. Now, the probability of breakage is likely fairly small, but it is non-zero. And for the last big update, the Smiteworks folk probably saw a bunch of common extensions break during the dev cycle, and so they raised a warning that this set of changes carried a much higher risk of breakage. But _every_ update carries some small risk. Thus, publish to the test channel so that vendors have a chance to catch these issues before their customers do.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagix View Post
    If I'd paid for an extension, I would expect that the developer is keeping on top of the releases so that I don't have to encounter breakages (or at least be notified of the breakages). And since there is no published interface (that I'm aware of), every release of FG could potentially break extensions. Now, the probability of breakage is likely fairly small, but it is non-zero. And for the last big update, the Smiteworks folk probably saw a bunch of common extensions break during the dev cycle, and so they raised a warning that this set of changes carried a much higher risk of breakage. But _every_ update carries some small risk. Thus, publish to the test channel so that vendors have a chance to catch these issues before their customers do.
    Extensions = RISK. FGU can break them. Other extensions can break them. My advice? Steer clear of them, and you've nothing to worry about. Free or paid.

Now, if they do know there are extension breaking changes in the lighting stuff one hopes we will get a warning about it. Until then?

"Ye take yer risks with the rest of the scallywag's who use extensions"
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Usually bigger updates are announced in the Laboratory with some list about while script files and templates etc. are affected to help extension developers But not the smaller updates like the one yesterday; I usually check which script files and so on got edited since the last update and whether it is a file I used/change/etc. in my extensions in order to check if I need to update my extensions Not always an update will cause to "break" an extension; sometimes an extension just overwrites part of a new update and won't cause error messages. Then it be a very hidden "break" until it is noticed, so, keeping an eye on the laboratory and the date of change of the files can help, too
    Last edited by Kelrugem; March 3rd, 2021 at 16:50.

Blog Entries
    IMO, the problem with releasing to Test or Dev before Live, for this case only, is that once the general user population learns they can get lighting by changing a setting, they will do so. Ignorant or uncaring that they should expect it not to work fully. That's going to cause lots of threads, support requests, and complaints on social media.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    IMO, the problem with releasing to Test or Dev before Live, for this case only, is that once the general user population learns they can get lighting by changing a setting, they will do so. Ignorant or uncaring that they should expect it not to work fully. That's going to cause lots of threads, support requests, and complaints on social media.
    Yeah!

Yeah, users are worst!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    Usually bigger updates are announced in the Laboratory with some list about while script files and templates etc. are affected to help extension developers But not the smaller updates like the one yesterday; I usually check which script files and so on got edited since the last update and whether it is a file I used/change/etc. in my extensions in order to check if I need to update my extensions Not always an update will cause to "break" an extension; sometimes an extension just overwrites part of a new update and won't cause error messages. Then it be a very hidden "break" until it is noticed, so, keeping an eye on the laboratory and the date of change of the files can help, too
    This. An extension running without errors is not necessarily an extension that is running the correct code and could still have hidden issues.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Any lighting release WILL go into the Test channel first; with lots of bright red warnings. We already know that the network/data format is changing for the upcoming release; and it's a one-way trip for campaigns. Also, it is expected we'll have a couple things to iron out; and some extension authors may need to adjust their code to not stomp on CoreRPG behaviors to support basic vision/lighting.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Any lighting release WILL go into the Test channel first; with lots of bright red warnings. We already know that the network/data format is changing for the upcoming release; and it's a one-way trip for campaigns. Also, it is expected we'll have a couple things to iron out; and some extension authors may need to adjust their code to not stomp on CoreRPG behaviors to support basic vision/lighting.

Regards,
    JPG
    The heads up is appreciated. Will keep an eye out for notification that its available to begin testing against.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Thread Information