Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 44 12311 ... Last
    Blog Entries

Super Secret Sneak Preview of Lighting and Vision - Shhhh, don't tell Carl and John

I managed to sneak a couple screenshots during one of Carl's screenshares from this morning's company meeting. Setting the light level for outdoors light does some really cool stuff with shadows and these interact with other lights, such as torches that could be carried around or placed on walls.

All the shadows in this line drawing style map were created dynamically. In addition, the angle of the sun, color and shadows can be further adjusted.

In screenshot 2, it shows a similar thing but with the interior rooms masked off from the light. These will depend on the lighting options available in each of those rooms or lights brought into the rooms. Finally, we see an example of how infravision might be rendered. There is also nightvision and darkvision. Darkvision also changes everything to grayscale.

lighting_sneak_preview_2.jpg
    lighting_sneak_preview_1.jpg

That looks awesome! Thanks for sharing the super secret screenshots! I mean, what? Nothing to see here...

Looking good! I am looking forward to the continued enhancements Unity is bringing to the table.

Blog Entries
    Thanks!
    Good thing John and Carl never read the forums... yea, not sure about that

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Look’s awesome! Keep up the great work!
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Time Zone: US Eastern (GMT -5)
    Playing -
    Starfinder, D&D, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Hero System aka Champions, Traveller, and more!
    My Forge Creations

uuuh nice, thanks; I won't tell anyone of course!

Wow, this is great progress!
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

I really don't want to cast a shadow on the feature.... but does that mean that the monster manual will need to be updated for monsters that will be visible to infravision?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagix View Post
    I really don't want to cast a shadow on the feature.... but does that mean that the monster manual will need to be updated for monsters that will be visible to infravision?
    It will be a manual thing at first. The map will show the visible range of the selected vision type and the GM will be able to quickly tell what kind of visions are in play. We will consider direct ruleset tie-ins based on the prevalence of those situations and feedback/demand on how useful each feature would be to GMs and players.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    It will be a manual thing at first. The map will show the visible range of the selected vision type and the GM will be able to quickly tell what kind of visions are in play. We will consider direct ruleset tie-ins based on the prevalence of those situations and feedback/demand on how useful each feature would be to GMs and players.
    Understood regarding how it may initially function. However I'm not sure I understand what Imagix is assuming about the relationship to shadows and alternate types of vision? And I'm not sure I understand your answer with respect to his question. Can either of you provide more detail on this?

Thread Information