5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... Last

5E Extension: Situational Awareness (pre-load encounter/tokens on maps)

This is a proof of concept extension. I do not actively work on it at this time due to limits within the FGU environment.

If you're having issues with extension please read this post first on making sure you have correct extension installed.

I implemented this in the AD&D 2E ruleset and to expose it to other systems I've created this extension. What does it do? It allows you to pre-load all your encounters and only see the ones that are "active". This will let you visually see all the other encounters in the area and if necessary pull them into the CT. Previously you would have to look at each room's description and possible look at encounter links as well.

Compatibility
    If you run other extensions that manipulate images or the combat tracker then you might have issues running this extension with that one. Be aware of this when deciding on extensions to load.

Here is a quick example of how it can be used. This map has encounters linked that I load up, deactivate all, then activate them to manage them in the combat tracker during play.

Notes:
    Commands with this extension.

/saclean all

If you happen to somehow get entries in the CT that are no where to be seen this will remove ALL combattracker entries (active and deactive). Use only if necessary. You will need to replace map encounters and pcs into CT if this command is used. In general this should not be an issue and I only used it during my debug/testing.

/sashow all

Command will set ALL tokens in the combattracker.list as ACTIVE. You can use this if you somehow managed to get orphaned entries.

Note: I've ran into some performance issues when I have a lot of encounters pre-loaded. If the performance is unacceptable you'll need to reduce the number of tokens you have preloaded. Currently I have no REAL solution for this. It's a ... complicated thing and deeper issue related to how FG manages data.

For developers, here is the gitlab repo.

Feedback and bug reports welcome.

Update
    Update 1.51
    • [Updated] 2021.03.09 CoreRPG updates and code cleanup.
    • [Fixed] Error for added sanity checking function

Install with forge using this link.
    Last edited by celestian; July 28th, 2022 at 18:17.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Addendum, if you use Advanced Effects you will need to have Advanced Effects version 4.8+for these two extensions to coexist.
    Last edited by celestian; December 11th, 2020 at 21:45.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Jolly Good
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Very nice, thank you. Finally a way to see NPC placements on a larger map without having everything in the CT at once. Why is it called "5E Extension" though?

Edit: I understand. "Other systems" only meant other DnD systems. Too bad. Still a useful extension for those playing DnD.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; December 11th, 2020 at 22:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    Very nice, thank you. Finally a way to see NPC placements on a larger map without having everything in the CT at once. Why is it called "5E Extension" though?
    Because it's a 5E extension, not a CoreRPG or other ruleset specific one. "5E Extension" is and indicator what it works with, not the name. This one is specific to 5e. I wanted to make it work for CoreRPG but due to how the addPC and addNPC functions are managed right now that's not possible... it needs to be specific to the ruleset.

I should have named the file 5E_SituationalAwareness.ext but to late now, I never remember that.
    ---

I just edited my post when you posted yours. When you wrote "expose it to other systems" I thought you meant other systems than DnD. Bad luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    I just edited my post when you posted yours. When you wrote "expose it to other systems" I thought you meant other systems than DnD. Bad luck.
    Other systems than the AD&D 2E ruleset

It could be ported to other rulesets but 5E was an easy goto for large playground. If the addNPC/addPC functions get a "onAdd" hook then I could just make it CoreRPG layered. I've suggested as much but we'll see what happens.
    ---

Very nice

So, when I wanted to add that to other rulesets, then I mainly need to look at the addNPC function and merge it with that ruleset?

(and yes, with that post I ask for whether I am allowed to look at your code to port it to 3.5e/PF1 Am I? )
    Last edited by Kelrugem; December 11th, 2020 at 22:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    Very nice

So, when I wanted to add that to other rulesets, then I mainly need to look at the addNPC function and merge it with that ruleset?

(and yes, with that post I ask for whether I am allowed to look at your code to port it to 3.5e/PF1 Am I? )
    I would like to see this part of CoreRPG. Until they add it, you're welcome to use what you can to do what I've done here.

The piece that matters in addNPC/addPC is to set a default "active" flag of 1 ... ... but as I type this I realize I could just look for nil also and if it's 1 or nil show it. Let me work on that, Can probably get this to work for CoreRPG that way... then no one else has to mess with it... that said, would love to see it native CoreRPG.

PS: this is what is called talking to the rubber duck.
    Last edited by celestian; December 11th, 2020 at 23:21.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    I would like to see this part of CoreRPG. Until they add it, you're welcome to use what you can to do what I've done here.

The piece that matters in addNPC/addPC is to set a default "active" flag of 1 ... ... but as I type this I realize I could just look for nil also and if it's 1 or nil show it. Let me work on that, Can probably get this to work for CoreRPG that way... then no one else has to mess with it... that said, would love to see it native CoreRPG.
    Yeah, is a nice feature Thanks, then I wait a bit, and I may port that to 3.5e/PF1 when needed

Thread Information