DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Filtering NPCs by terrain

Is there a way to filter NPCs by terrain? I am trying to build random tables for wilderness encounters and this would help immensely.

BTW, are the NPCs even categorized by terrain? I cannot find that anywhere! Does this field exist in Fantasy Grounds Unity?

Thanks!

Moderator: moved to 5e
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; December 11th, 2020 at 22:35.

For what ruleset?

If for 5e then no, there's no terrain or biome section for NPC's in any of the WotC books, so there's not a filter for that.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Hi!, Yes it's 5e. I forgot to mention.

I was thinking about Xanathar, where there are lists divided by terrrain. Unfortunately, as you say, there is no section for terrain in the NPCs stats in the WotC books.

Is there a way to add this terrain "field" to Fantasy Grounds Unity? Maybe an extension or a mod? So that I could filter the NPCs by terrain?

Thank you Zacchaeus!

You could do it with an extension. You would need to add the field to the NPC sheet and then somehow populate that field, as well as adding the field to the filter.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

And I guess there is no easy way to do it, I wouldn't even know where to start to learn creating an, let alone do it practically.

Is it a feat that I can do in a couple of days of learning and practicing?

Could you point me out to where I can find the info to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    You can easily add that field by extension.
    No data will magically appear in it though.
    Thank you! I liked that you used the word "easily". This gives me hope- I will input the data by myself.

If there is a "field" on the NPC with that data you can use the Encounter Safari extension to do that.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    If there is a "field" on the NPC with that data you can use the Encounter Safari extension to do that.
    Thank you so much! This is exactly what I need AFTER I manage to create an extension adding the field "terrain" to NPC and after having populated it.

Now I need to find out how to create that extension. I hope somebody will point me out to where to study and learn about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vassago77 View Post
    Thank you so much! This is exactly what I need AFTER I manage to create an extension adding the field "terrain" to NPC and after having populated it.

Now I need to find out how to create that extension. I hope somebody will point me out to where to study and learn about this.
    You could start with the extension knocked out and attached. I didn't do testing but it's a function thats similar to my general 2E custom extension I use for doing things like you're wanting (one shot things).

The .ext file is just a renamed zipped file so extract it to your own and edit away to do whatever you need.

/bulkchange [records] [field] Value here

Example:
    /bulkchange npc source A new Source Value

Would set the "source" field on ALL npcs to "A new Source Value"

There are various debug outputs in the process so add more if you need and look to see what it's doing.

See attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thread Information