DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

So Starship Combat: how does it work?

Bought High Guard and very pleased. Ordinary Traveller starship combat is something I am used to handling with pen and paper. Using the program is however going to be worthwhile if I can learn it. I have used the interface for D&D combat but for Traveller we seem to not use it as much in combat.

Can anyone talk me through the steps?

So we establish range and initiative. That i can do normally.

I add two ships to the SCT. I went for Annic Nova for pure nostalgia and a 400 ton System Defense ship

Now obviously Annic Nova has no manoeuvre drives and the SD craft has 6G thrust. So I add all 6 as a bonus to the pulse laser turret. The range is medium.

OK then I target. That works fine. My SD craft lets loose a volley of laser fire that scores a critical hit, then a second for cumulative damage. I just amend the damage box on Annic Nova manually. I assume I roll twice, once for each turret?

Both missiles miss.

Then I fire back with Annic Nova's rather awful beam lasers at -3. I somehow score a hit, and do 7 points damage. A little window appears on the system defence boat asking if i want to apply it?

Well a system defence boat has 13 points of crystaliron armour: however the armour is not listed in the armour line of the display. So I hit yes to see what happens: and just get an error message.

I am using FGU so might just be a bug in this or i may be doing it all wrong, but looks good.

Will High Guard eventually have ship design capacity and allow us to import builds to Spacecraft? That and Capital Ships combat would be handy for me but probably not many players.

Any way any advice on how to Starship Combat at core book level welcome. I enjoyed flipping through the ships etc but I own High Guard in hardback so looking mainly for the FGU specific aspects of the implementation. Very pleased to see this at last!

CJ x

Quote Originally Posted by CJR View Post
    Bought High Guard and very pleased. Ordinary Traveller starship combat is something I am used to handling with pen and paper. Using the program is however going to be worthwhile if I can learn it. I have used the interface for D&D combat but for Traveller we seem to not use it as much in combat.

Can anyone talk me through the steps?

So we establish range and initiative. That i can do normally.

I add two ships to the SCT. I went for Annic Nova for pure nostalgia and a 400 ton System Defense ship

Now obviously Annic Nova has no manoeuvre drives and the SD craft has 6G thrust. So I add all 6 as a bonus to the pulse laser turret. The range is medium.

OK then I target. That works fine. My SD craft lets loose a volley of laser fire that scores a critical hit, then a second for cumulative damage. I just amend the damage box on Annic Nova manually. I assume I roll twice, once for each turret?

Both missiles miss.

Then I fire back with Annic Nova's rather awful beam lasers at -3. I somehow score a hit, and do 7 points damage. A little window appears on the system defence boat asking if i want to apply it?

Well a system defence boat has 13 points of crystaliron armour: however the armour is not listed in the armour line of the display. So I hit yes to see what happens: and just get an error message.

I am using FGU so might just be a bug in this or i may be doing it all wrong, but looks good.

Will High Guard eventually have ship design capacity and allow us to import builds to Spacecraft? That and Capital Ships combat would be handy for me but probably not many players.

Any way any advice on how to Starship Combat at core book level welcome. I enjoyed flipping through the ships etc but I own High Guard in hardback so looking mainly for the FGU specific aspects of the implementation. Very pleased to see this at last!

CJ x
    So far you're doing everything correct. However what error message do you get? Can I see that please as it should deduct armour.

The plan is to add as much as possible from High Guard over this release cycle. I do want a Ship Builder, I think the High Guard book is straightforward on paper but a bit tricky as some of the changes are mentioned in text, which is why I've added Traits for all the Weapons, much easier to code a trait than trying to parse a description!

Stick with it and keep posting. There's an update next week and I should have the 'Armour' section completed, and HG users may have access to Shields by then as well.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Am really enjoying playing around with this: High Guard is looking good! I have attached the error log I am getting, in the hope it helps. I will also attach a screenshot of the point in the battle we reached.

I had previously entered the Drinaxi Harrier: possibly that is causing issues?

cj x
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Am really enjoying playing around with this: High Guard is looking good! I have attached the error log I am getting, in the hope it helps. I will also attach a screenshot of the point in the battle we reached.

I had previously entered the Drinaxi Harrier: possibly that is causing issues?

cj x
    Hi Chap,

Awesome. Logs always help.

As for previously entered data, yea, could well be an issue. I have my own copy and had to modify it.

So let me look through these and see what can be done. I've recently (with a WOIN update) learned you can do data upgrades.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

I assumed it might overwrite the previous data but seems not to have. Obviously i have not tried the Harrier.

I am now doing a Patrol Corvette vs a Gazelle Class. Should i have the Hull Damage extension loaded or not? That suddenly struck me as possibly the issue!

I have a question too. How would one add the pilots skill DM to the ships attack roll? Just do it manually as if you were modifying an NPC stats?

Cheers.

I assumed it might overwrite the previous data but seems not to have. Obviously i have not tried the Harrier.

I am now doing a Patrol Corvette vs a Gazelle Class. Should i have the Hull Damage extension loaded or not? That suddenly struck me as possibly the issue!
    No need for the Dull Damage extension as it's on the SCT the Hull Damage. I'll add it to the ship sheet though now as well come to think of it. The Extension may work, try it.

Cheers
    MBM

Quote Originally Posted by demonsamurai View Post
    I have a question too. How would one add the pilots skill DM to the ships attack roll? Just do it manually as if you were modifying an NPC stats?

Cheers.
    The Desktop modifiers should all function. Pilot DM? Small ship with fixed mounts?

Cheers,
    MBM

Gotcha. So just add a relevant DM from the bottom of the page. Ta

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    The Desktop modifiers should all function. Pilot DM? Small ship with fixed mounts?

Cheers,
    MBM
    You add pilot skill Effect to a gunnery attack (or all not clear from rules) for one point of thrust assigned. You can subtract it as a negative DM evade to incoming fire once per point of thrust assigned? Is that correct?

I am not sure reading the rules if assigning a point to Gunnery for a stable fire platform adds to one turret or all weapons? Is there an errata for Mongoose Traveller 2 core rules anywhere? (The book not the FGU app).

I can see why this would be horrible to program!

CJ x

Thread Information