STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last

[Extension] New Extension: Mass Battles

Hi all,

I wrote an extension for Fantasy Grounds Classic and Unity to handle and automate mass battles in SWADE (pp. 131, SWADE v5.7).
    It automates tracking of force tokens, support for commanders, wounds and fatigue for participants, battle effects, morale bonuses (and penalties).

You can find it on the forge here: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/146/view
    Before I get into the detailed How To:
    - The New Massbattle window button_mb.png (which can be found in the top right corner, next to the Combat Tracker) always has a little hint in it's bottom left corner that tells you what you need to do next.
    - In order for this to work the players must to have access to the "Battle Effects" Tablefrom the "SWADE Player Guide" Module . Make sure to either share this table with them before the battle starts or have them load the module
    themselves.

Interface for GMs: GMInterface.png
    1) Army Detail Window (and the button that opens it). Use this to set starting Force Tokens (relevant for Morale Checks), Tactical Advantage, Battle Plan Bonus and the Army Name
    2) Force Token Display. The number of Force Tokens avaiable to each army currently
    3) Support Column. Displays how much support each combatant gives to their respective commanders Battle Command roll
    4) Leader Displays. Here you control the state of the two Commanders
    5) Round counter
    6) New Round Button. Resets all bonuses for this round
    7) Hint area
    8) Combatant Area. Here you control the state of the various combatants in each army

Interface for Player Combatants:CombatantInterface.PNG
    1) This your character
    2) The current balance of Force Tokens
    3) Your current Health (Wounds and Fatigue)
    4) Battle Participation Skill and Activation Area
    5) The Results from your Battle Participation Rolls this round
    6) The negative outcomes and a button to apply these to your character
    7) A Battle Participation Raise Choice
    8) The support you grant your Commanders Battle roll for this round
    9) A different character
    10) Your Commander

Interface for Player Commanders:CommanderInterface.PNG
    1) Force Token Balance for each Army
    2) The support the other Combatants provide for your Command roll
    3) This is you
    4) Your Health (Wounds & Fatigue)
    5) Select your Battle Command skill and the button to roll it.
    6) The results of your Battle Command rolls this round
    7) Hint area

Here is a HowTo guide for GMs:
    Setup:
    1) Set the names, starting tokens and various bonuses for each army by clicking the link buttons in the top left and right corners (1).
    2) Set the force tokens for the first round of battle (2) (These don't have to be the same as the starting force tokens, e.g. if you want to simulate a battle that has been going for a while before the PCs joined)
    3) Add commanders and heroes to each army as desired
    4) Click [New Round]
    During the Battle:
    1) Make Battle Participation rolls for all NPCs under your control. (For details see the Player participant guide)
    2) Make (a) Command roll for the NPC in charge of the enemy army and accept (one of) the result(s). (For details see the Player Commander Section)
    3) Once both commanders have accepted a result for their command rolls, click on [Accept] in the middle window to apply the losses to each army.Attachment 41743
    4) Have each of the commanders roll for Morale if required. The results will be displayed in the Chat Window.
    5) If neither army retreats or is whiped out, click on [New Round].

Here is a HowTo guide for Players commanding armies:
    Setup:
    1) Give a rousing speech to your army while the GM sets everything up.
    During the Battle:
    1) Wait for the other players to make their support rolls and select a result.
    2) Select the skill that is used to command this battle from the drop down box under your name. Then click [Command!] to make your roll. (5)
    3) You can reroll the result by clicking the [Command!] button again or dropping a Benny on it.
    4) Once you have a result that you can accept, click the [Apply] button next to it.
    5) Wait for the enemy commander's roll. The GM will apply the results and losses will be calculated automatically.
    6) If you had losses this round, you will have to roll for Morale. Click on the [Roll Morale] button at the bottom center. You can click it again or drop a Benny on it to reroll. If you didn't have any losses, there will be no button for you to click.
    7) Wait for the next round to start.

Here is a HowTo guide for Players taking part in battle as regular participants:
    Setup:
    1) Ensure you have access to the "Battle Effects" table. If not click on "Library->Modules" and load the SWADE Player Guide Module.
    2) Wait for your commanders rousing speech to be finally over so you can get to head-choppin'.
    During the Battle:
    1) Select the skill with which you will participate in this round of battle.
    2) Click the [Participate!] button.
    3) If you don't like the result, you can click the [Participate!] button again or drop a Benny on it to reroll.
    4) A box will appear showing you the result of your roll. It contains the rolled total, an indicator for how well you did (green arrow for success, two green arrows for a raise, red arrow for fail and two red arrows for crit fail). The box will also list any wounds or fatigue levels you will suffer.
    5) Click the [Apply] button in case of (crit) fail or simple success. If you had a raise you will have the choice between providing an additional +1 to your commander (by clicking the button labeled [+1]) or if you want to apply the randomly rolled Battle Effect instead (choose this by clicking the corresponding button).
    6) Choose wisely! Once you've selected [Apply] or a raise choice, you cannot go back!
    7) Wait for your commander to roll his Command roll and Morale if required and a new round to start.

I hope this extension is helpful and facilitates FFF combat on a new scale.
    Any bug reports and feedback are welcome right here!

Best,
    Chillhelm

Update:
    Now works with FG Unity
    [31.12.20] Removed all the debug output.
    [02.01.21]
    Fixed commander switching (minor issues may persist if you switch out commanders during the "Roll Morale" phase, mostly that the old commander can still click the "Roll Morale" button, even though he shouldn't be able to)
    Fixed an issue in FGC related to commander control changing hands
    Fixed an issue where the command result display would not show correct losses, when the command results were edited by GM
    [21.10.21]
    Merged a patch by FrodoB to improve readability on Dark Themes.
    [27.12.21]
    Update to the new ruleset version.
    [09.03.22]
    Fixed the MB button not appearing for the 3rd(?) time.
    Fixed some deprecation warnings.
    You can now soak wounds suffered during battle participation by dropping a benny on the result box that has wounds in it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by chillhelm; March 9th, 2022 at 08:52. Reason: Updated the Extension
    Check out my Extensions for Savage Worlds:
    Arcane Devices:Forge and github
    Mass Battles: Forge and github
    Fast Tests: Forge and github
    Reload Consumption: Forge
    Chase&Combat Compilation: Forge

Looks great!

Is this for FGC or FGU?

This is for FGC. I'll port this over to FGU over the weekend.

Edit: I expect most issues to be purely cosmetic however, so it should work on both.
    Last edited by chillhelm; December 8th, 2020 at 00:44.

Thank you for doing this - I have not tried it but I am a fan of MBs and look forward to kicking it around.

Quote Originally Posted by YggBjorn View Post
    Is this for FGC or FGU?
    I've fixed the cosmetic issues in Unity and uploaded a new version. Have fun!

Awesome! Thanks again for doing this!

A-ma-zing,

I have to test this
    Thank you!

Wonderful... And you developed for Classic too! Thanks a lot!

Anyway to make this useable for other rulesets. It would be very nice to have a Mass Battles option. I am not very good with coding for extensions hence why I ask. Also not sure if it's even feasible.

Hi chillhelm!

Thank you for making this extension. It will see use in my game.
    It's outputting debug info into the chat window. I was logged in as a player and can see it in that chat too. Is there a way to turn this off?
    I attached a screenshot.
    I suspect this has nothing to do with other extensions, but I can list them if it helps.
    I'm using FGU Standard on Windows 10.
    I'm happy to provide any other info you need.

Thanks!debug_output.jpg

Thread Information