DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 10 123 ... Last

Pathfinder Second Edition - Bestiaries and Automation

Okay, so the goal here is to give some insight and reveal some of the details behind trying to set up automation for the Bestiaries (and related products). For starters, some links:

Automation FG Wiki Page

Video(s)
    PF2 Creature Automation Effects (Youtube Video)
    Step-by-Step Automation: Necrophidius (Youtube Video)
    Note: I really do plan on adding to this catalogue, but I've honestly just haven't had the time I thought I'd have to do more here. I will though! I'll update here when I get to it.

Spreadsheets of Automation
    Bestiary Automation

The spreadsheet needs a little more in-depth description of what it gives you when looking at it. For starters, the automation field is in parsing format which doesn't mean much except for the inclusion of the \n (new line) within them. So for example, if you were to want to do something similar to the Swallow Whole of the Ogre Glutton, you'd take this:

"Athletics check opposed by the grabbed creature's Reflex DC"|VsDC:Athletics:vs:REF\n"swallows the creature"|Effect: Swallowed (Rupture 14, Suffocating, Escape DC 22); DMGO: 2d4+4 bludgeoning\n"2d4+4 bludgeoning damage"|Damage: 2d4+4 bludgeoning

And turn it into this (replacing the \n with carriage returns):
    "Athletics check opposed by the grabbed creature's Reflex DC"|VsDC:Athletics:vs:REF
    "swallows the creature"|Effect: Swallowed (Rupture 14, Suffocating, Escape DC 22); DMGO: 2d4+4 bludgeoning
    "2d4+4 bludgeoning damage"|Damage: 2d4+4 bludgeoning
    Placing the above within the automation field of a creature inside fantasy ground will replicate in what the Bestiary creature has. With all of the examples, it will be a simple matter of then adjusting them (if need be) to suit what it is you want to accomplish.

I've tried to detail the initial application of automation in that Google Spreadsheet. It's possible that, as the automation system gets refined, some of those will have or will be changed in time. At worst, hopefully it gives a good guiding point to find your own style or application of the automation system for creatures you want to update, enhance, or create yourself.

As always, I am open to feedback, inquires, and suggestions. The hope here is that this will be an aid to anyone interested in the automation system with the intent of giving all of us PF2 fans the best possible experience within Fantasy Grounds.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Trenloe; April 13th, 2023 at 07:52.
    Ultimate License Owner since 2011 and FG GM since 2008
    Game Systems: 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, RoleMaster, C&C, Pathfinder 2, Old School Essentials

Home Page: ShadeRaven Sorceries (Blog, Fantasy & Campaign Stories, Cat Tales, and more)

Update: Both the Bestiary 1 and 2 have automation for Creatures of Level 9 added to the queue for Tuesday Updates. You will see both of them included in the Spreadsheet above and expect to see the results added in game in next week's (or the week after) update. For those who need one of them before then, you can apply the properties found in the spreadsheets to those creatures now
    Game Systems: 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, RoleMaster, C&C, Pathfinder 2, Old School Essentials

Home Page: ShadeRaven Sorceries (Blog, Fantasy & Campaign Stories, Cat Tales, and more)

Awesome work! I was already using this for new npc/monsters I've been making, but i'm going to deep dive into the google doc file to see if I can use better techniques!

edit: too bad this stuff isn't in Starfinder as well, I could def use it there too.

I've got a question on how to automate something. It's for an NPC in The Fall of Plaguestone. I have a feeling this is a unique NPC ability that Paizo invented for that NPC. (I've replaced the NPC's name to avoid spoilers). The particular NPC also has sneak attack which is where I have trouble.

2-Action, One-Two Move: "NPC makes two Strikes, one with each hand; he usually attacks first with his weapon. If this first attack hits, the target is [flat-footed] to the second attack (which for NPC is usually a fist Strike). The multiple attack penalty applies to these attacks as normal."

I'm trying to program the flat-footed part of the ability. I've used all sorts of things, most of them affect the attack roll, but the effect goes away, so I can't seem to use the sneak maturation (PermEffect:IFT: flat-footed; DMG: 1d6 precision).

I've tried:
    "flat-footed"|Effect: Flat-footed[ACTION] (works for attack, effect goes away before rolling dmg)
    "flat-footed"|Effect: Flat-footed[ROLL] (same)
    "flat-footed"|Effect: Flat-footed[SINGLE] (same)
    "flat-footed"|Effect: Flat-footed[D:1] (this isn't quite right as the flat-footed is only for the 2nd attack of the ability. The target shouldn't be flat footed if I take a 3rd attack)

When I apply one of the first three, it works fine for the attack and the effect deletes itself. If I re-apply for the DMG roll, the effect stays on. works for dmg, but this will screw up the next attacks.

I'm kinda stumped!

Hey Daso:

Those unique situations are quite annoying, lol. Almost no way to account for it cleanly. Honestly, my suggestion is to simply reapply flat-footed with the single use before the 2nd attack and, if that hits, for the damage roll, too. You could also finagle with ATK: and DMG: effects to have them single use, but the fact that the second attack could miss makes that unreliable, too (as you don't want that damage bonus to hang around if a 3rd attack manages to hit). I think we are stuck having to re-apply flat-footed for these unusual situations.

Monster automation status > inquiry to Shade.

Good morning Team!

I know that ShadeRaven and Trenloe are working tirelessly on this rule set (big thank you!).

Shade is there a general timeline on when automation for monsters Post lvl 10 are released (for the bestiaries)?

The group I am playing with are all 11th and moving towards 12th and monsters are more complex.

I can see why it takes more time to get a single entry automated.

Merry Christmas to all of you!

I look forward to playing many many years in this rule set!

Larsenex

These automations are so fun. I tried messing around with skills vs DCs, but it just doesn't seem to work quite right yet. So I'll keep checking back.
    For elite, I did this. It's not perfect, but... I keep this in a notepad. And if I want to make a quick version of an elite monster, I put it in his stat block real fast.

PermEffect: Elite; AC: 2; ATK: 2; DMG: 2; PERC: 2;SKILL: 2; SAVE: 2|Heal:10[TEMP][SELF]|Heal:15[TEMP][SELF]|Heal:20[TEMP][SELF]|Heal:30[TEMP][SELF]

The temp hit points isn't perfect, obviously. As it doesn't account for what if the creature has fast healing or something. But it works in a pinch. And I can just click on the one I need.
    I know I can just program an effect in game to drag over. But in that case, I'd have to open the stat block and manually change the hit points anyway, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Milke View Post
    These automations are so fun. I tried messing around with skills vs DCs, but it just doesn't seem to work quite right yet. So I'll keep checking back.
    For elite, I did this. It's not perfect, but... I keep this in a notepad. And if I want to make a quick version of an elite monster, I put it in his stat block real fast.

PermEffect: Elite; AC: 2; ATK: 2; DMG: 2; PERC: 2;SKILL: 2; SAVE: 2|Heal:10[TEMP][SELF]|Heal:15[TEMP][SELF]|Heal:20[TEMP][SELF]|Heal:30[TEMP][SELF]

The temp hit points isn't perfect, obviously. As it doesn't account for what if the creature has fast healing or something. But it works in a pinch. And I can just click on the one I need.
    I know I can just program an effect in game to drag over. But in that case, I'd have to open the stat block and manually change the hit points anyway, so...
    There's a mod for that by Sasmira in the community mod thread. It works great! It's got a line similar to yours for the skills and such, but also has effects for the various health changes too (reminders, but still decent! just change it in the CT). It's much easier than adding that text to the automation for on the fly modifications.
    Last edited by Daso; December 15th, 2020 at 19:48.

This pleases me, and I will check it out.

I know creatures can use Skill Vs Save now can players do that yet? If not how come the creatures get all the good stuff?!!! Its bias against players!!!!! LOL
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

Thread Information