DICE PACKS BUNDLE

New to Fantasy Grounds

Hello everyone,

I am completely new to fantasy grounds. Like everyone else, the pandemic has caused my gaming group to move towards a virtual format. I started looking online and found this place. After watching tons of videos online rating Fantasy grounds v R20. I created an account here. I was amazed at the standards sets but was disappointed not to find what I personally was looking for, Star Wars. I have read a few threads on how to add mods to the standard fantasy grounds account. Honestly many were from 2 or 3 years ago.

However, I am fearful of messing this up. Besides, that is a huge commitment to a new player/DM to this family. To be honest it is quite overwhelming.

My question, has star wars been added to Fantasy grounds? Are there modules available?

As a new player, where do I start. I want to play in a demo before I commit cash to this. What is Unity? What is the difference between classic and unity? How do I know if I paid for a unity account versus a classic account?

Can I play in a demo game to test out the features of fantasy grounds?

So many questions..... Help is appreciated

Blog Entries
    There are several community rulesets that can be used for Star Wars. I'll let someone else recommend those (though I will post some search results for you to peruse though). Actually book/adventure content can't be shared unless it is not protected by copyright. Most stuff usually is.

Welcome, and happy gaming!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...uleset-to-play
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...rk-in-progress

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by biglavery View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am completely new to fantasy grounds. Like everyone else, the pandemic has caused my gaming group to move towards a virtual format. I started looking online and found this place. After watching tons of videos online rating Fantasy grounds v R20. I created an account here. I was amazed at the standards sets but was disappointed not to find what I personally was looking for, Star Wars. I have read a few threads on how to add mods to the standard fantasy grounds account. Honestly many were from 2 or 3 years ago.

However, I am fearful of messing this up. Besides, that is a huge commitment to a new player/DM to this family. To be honest it is quite overwhelming.

My question, has star wars been added to Fantasy grounds? Are there modules available?
    There is a community ruleset that is being actively worked on right now.

Here is the thread for it, you can probably ask questions there about it and see if someone can demo it for you.

Any modules are probably out of the question as Disney has not licensed the Star Wars content for VTTs as far as I am aware. The rulesets (the math part of the system) typically cannot be copyrighted, but the Content (Characters, NPCs, Stories, etc.) is copyrighted.

You can always hand enter everything yourself (I do that for old Middle-earth Roleplaying content), but you can only use it yourself, you cannot sell it or make it available publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by biglavery View Post
    As a new player, where do I start. I want to play in a demo before I commit cash to this. What is Unity? What is the difference between classic and unity? How do I know if I paid for a unity account versus a classic account?

Can I play in a demo game to test out the features of fantasy grounds?

So many questions..... Help is appreciated
    Fantasy Grounds Classic (FGC): The older version of Fantasy Grounds, it still works perfectly fine. It is a 32-bit Windows app, so if you have users on macOS Catalina or later, it won't run (it will run on older macOS versions via Wine).

Fantasy Grounds Unity (FGU): This is the new version of Fantasy Grounds. It has new Line of Sight (LoS) features, a new built in way to create maps and is a native 64-bit app, among other improvements. It has native support for macOS (so it works fine on Catalina) and Linux. It has been built on the Unity Game Engine. This will allow the Fantasy Grounds developers to concentrate on the features of Fantasy Grounds instead of having to maintain an engine as well.

Unity will also allow for new features that have been held up by the older version (FGC).

If you are just getting into Fantasy Grounds, I would strongly recommend FGU over FGC, as FGU is where the new features will be developed.

If you use Discord, you can probably find someone there that can demo for you real quick, otherwise, if you have specific questions about the Star Wars ruleset, it is probably best to try the thread linked above.

FG Discord.

I don't see the unity option. Looks like it's just fgc? Where do I find FGU? Thanks for the help

FGU is the program that is available on the fantasygrounds.com home page.

Thread Information