DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    The only issues in either, are minor inconvenience at their worst.

Question 1
    How do you intend to use Fantasy Grounds in your game?
    Need to share a bunch of large pictures, Unity.
    Use mainly theater of the mind, with a few important pictures as needed, Classic

Question 2
    Do you have problems with your players connecting to your current game?
    Classic requiring port forwarding has been an issue for many people in the past, but once set up allows a good stable connection to the host, provided that their ISP does not go down in game.
    Unity on the other hand, gives you the option to host on the cloud and avoid port forwarding altogether, but you still have the option to host locally as well.

Question 3
    What type of computer are you using?
    If you are plugged into a power source, then Unity works great. If on battery power, Unity will suck the battery in about half the time as Classic does.

Question 4
    Are you only running Fantasy Grounds on the computer?
    Unity can access more of the memory on your computer, and could cause any additional programs to not run as smoothly. Classic has a set amount of RAM it can use, which means there are more resources for other programs. I say this because I run Fantasy Grounds, Zoom, and Chrome at the same time. I can see a difference in quality when using Unity vs Classic, also determined by your bandwidth

As I use Windows 10, I cannot comment on other operating systems.

In general terms, the ruleset functions the same in both versions of Fantasy Grounds. It really just comes down to what version is going to be the easiest for you and your group.

Thanks! I was more concerned about ruleset stability though. CoreRPG and MorCORE seem to have a greater number of issues in Unity. V5 is Core right?
    The problems all get fixed eventually but it still seems to be a pain (e.g. tables not working, map links breaking, and yeah sometimes image issues). Classic has it's own hiccups (connectivity being the usual culprot) but I'm accustomed to it and can usually work around them. But obviously Unity is the wave of the future... I'm running some 5e and PF games on Unity soon. I'm going to hold off on any Savage Worlds or Conan games on Unity for a bit but I was wondering about going ahead and trying V5 in it.

Yes, V5 is built on top of Core RPG.

I run V5 in classic, D&D 5E in unity, and will probably run Cyberpunk in unity as well. I ran V5 on unity with no big issues, but my players preferred the simplicity of classic. I would actually prefer to run everything on the Unity System. It would be much less confusing to me.

I still build my Modules in FGC. Then copy them over into FGU for mapping, compatibility, and play. Classic, to me, seems to work faster when building modules.

Since I have both systems, I generally leave it up to my players to decide which one they want/prefer to use.

I've been running a V5 chronicle for a couple months on Unity, and will start a CoC soon, and have not run into any issues that I could not work around. There are certainly things I hope get improved or implemented, but it's been pretty easy for my players to use.

I would like to report my progress with the ruleset - I have been running my first V5 game and the short story is based loosely on New Blood adventure. There are no issues with the ruleset and everyone are quite pleased with the style and how things are arranged and work. As constructive feedback there are two major things:
    1. Small font on PC sheet - should be much more readable
    2. Difficulty settings are on Storyteller side only and this puts quite big overhead on him to switch between values during more dynamic scenes.

Aside from that - wonderful. I am now really considering Fall of London.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    I would like to report my progress with the ruleset
    Thank you, Valyar, I appreciate your insight... I've decided to be lazy. I'm going to run the Chicago chronicle but I'm going to hold off till the official release...

I would like to report my progress with the ruleset - I have been running my first V5 game and the short story is based loosely on New Blood adventure. There are no issues with the ruleset and everyone are quite pleased with the style and how things are arranged and work. As constructive feedback there are two major things:
    1. Small font on PC sheet - should be much more readable
    2. Difficulty settings are on Storyteller side only and this puts quite big overhead on him to switch between values during more dynamic scenes.

Aside from that - wonderful. I am now really considering Fall of London.
    Hi Valyar,

Screenshot please for 1.
    And about 2. Do you mean that you would like the Players to set the 'Difficulty Number'? ie they have the buttons to do that?

Cheers,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    Hi Valyar,

Screenshot please for 1.
    And about 2. Do you mean that you would like the Players to set the 'Difficulty Number'? ie they have the buttons to do that?

Cheers,
    MBM
    Screenshot is attached. Issue is that players with high-resolution laptops (and even me sometimes on Razer Raptor, which is 27" WQHD) the fonts used for skill names is very tiny compared to the rest of the sheet. For players without perfect eyesight and with laptops with such stupid resolution (for 15" screen...) it is barely readable and increasing the scale of the UI causes another set of issues. So I think that if the skill font is increased to match the frame label or slightly smaller will be great. I understand the design consideration, but I think being one of the most used frames during play it should be functional.

In regards to the difficulty settings - after several sessions and discussion with the players, I think it will be best if not only the GM can set the difficulty but also the players. Sometimes the difficulty is different for the tasks they do, players roll simultaneously and waiting to change each time in line is dragging a bit in certain situations. So if I think out loudly, maybe setting in the options menu that will enable Player DN which will then overwrite what GM has set as DN and reporting will be done solely from the perspective of the player rolling and the DN they set.

There might be setting in the Options menu that control the behavior for example.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Screenshot is attached. Issue is that players with high-resolution laptops (and even me sometimes on Razer Raptor, which is 27" WQHD) the fonts used for skill names is very tiny compared to the rest of the sheet. For players without perfect eyesight and with laptops with such stupid resolution (for 15" screen...) it is barely readable and increasing the scale of the UI causes another set of issues. So I think that if the skill font is increased to match the frame label or slightly smaller will be great. I understand the design consideration, but I think being one of the most used frames during play it should be functional.

In regards to the difficulty settings - after several sessions and discussion with the players, I think it will be best if not only the GM can set the difficulty but also the players. Sometimes the difficulty is different for the tasks they do, players roll simultaneously and waiting to change each time in line is dragging a bit in certain situations. So if I think out loudly, maybe setting in the options menu that will enable Player DN which will then overwrite what GM has set as DN and reporting will be done solely from the perspective of the player rolling and the DN they set.

There might be setting in the Options menu that control the behavior for example.
    Hi Chap,

Here in lies an issue with font sizes and scaling etc. My current thinking is move the skills to their own tab, and re-arrange the main page (move the Health, Willpower and Humanity to the left and increase their size a bit) and then move Advantages/etc up, but that then leaves a gap at the bottom.....

Regarding the Players setting the difficulty. I've done this with Traveller so I could look at repeating this process.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Cheers,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

I think skills are fundamental part of this skill-based game and should stay on the main tab. Increasing font size and allowing the sheet to be re-sized vertically or increase its size to accommodate the bigger fonts will be better. Unless you plan to keep the Attribute header on the Skill-s tab to facilitate easier pool build and not ask players to switch between tabs for skill roll. If you have few prototypes we can test it.

I like the idea to implement it as in Traveller. More control to players is a lot less overhead for the GM here

Thread Information