DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 4 of 15 First ... 2345614 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    The exclusivity is not enforceable if they are not allowing it for sale.
    They havent bought the work from you or paid you directly to do the work.

Quote Originally Posted by DM_BK View Post
    Ouch but it sounds like a good opportunity for SW to step in make some coin, solve the problem for people on DMsG, and help with the issue of keeping extensions up to date all at once.

Could really turn a bad thing into a win for everyone.
    I am not sure what the solution is, but I do not know if Smiteworks wants to take on the liability of functional code outside their own program, otherwise they may as well absorb it. This is a very gray area all the way around now.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Laerun View Post
    I am not sure what the solution is, but I do not know if Smiteworks wants to take on the liability of functional code outside their own program, otherwise they may as well absorb it. This is a very gray area all the way around now.
    To true on the liability. As I put in all of my extensions sales pages - EXTENSIONS = RISK - then explain why. Smiteworks would have to have some kind of airtight buyers agreement that they understand and take on the risks of using the extensions. Anyone can write an extension.

And anyone can break the application by doing so carelessly. Or by conflicts that cannot be avoided.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Just dont mention 5E ,D&D, WOTC or any of their products in your extension.

I mean how does WOTC have any rights to tell DMsG to stop selling extensions for Paizo products?

In fact why dont all you talented extension coders head over to Pathfinder 2e forums? I dont think Trenloe would say no to a bit of help over there LOL
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willot View Post
    Just dont mention 5E ,D&D, WOTC or any of their products in your extension.

I mean how does WOTC have any rights to tell DMsG to stop selling extensions for Paizo products?
    DMs Guild is an EXCLUSIVELY D&D 5E sales site, you cannot sell any other RPG stuff there.
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

Blocking selling of a code extension to a licensed VTT...I find myself thinking in some conspiracy theroies...as to why WOTC would even want to block this. The ext's don't contain copyrighted materials from their products. The why they are suddenly doing this and if they really even can do this have me puzzled. Sure DMsG is going to do what ever WOTC wants, likely with out question. I guess they have no need to give SW a heads up, they don't own DMsG but you would think WOTC or DMsG might have given them a friendly warning. Clearly the relationship between the 3 companies isn't very strong (which is also strange as they all benefit from each other). The timing is also puzzling...making moves like this during the Christmas selling season. Odd!

Is WOTC thinking about breaking away from FG? Can they? --- I know it seems like that wouldn't be something they would do but WOTC ain't always been the most reasonable company over the years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DM_BK View Post
    Blocking selling of a code extension to a licensed VTT...I find myself thinking in some conspiracy theroies...as to why WOTC would even want to block this. The ext's don't contain copyrighted materials from their products. The why they are suddenly doing this and if they really even can do this have me puzzled. Sure DMsG is going to do what ever WOTC wants, likely with out question. I guess they have no need to give SW a heads up, they don't own DMsG but you would think WOTC or DMsG might have given them a friendly warning. Clearly the relationship between the 3 companies isn't very strong (which is also strange as they all benefit from each other). The timing is also puzzling...making moves like this during the Christmas selling season. Odd!

Is WOTC thinking about breaking away from FG? Can they? --- I know it seems like that wouldn't be something they would do but WOTC ain't always been the most reasonable company over the years.
    Part of the thinking amongst those of us talking about this on my Discord (and this is by no means official) is that Foundry VTT has some extensions that scrape D&D Beyond for the info to circumvent licensing, and because those bad actors are doing that, WotC is responding with a sweeping attitude to nerf ALL extensions. Just a guess.
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

Quote Originally Posted by rob2e View Post
    DMs Guild is an EXCLUSIVELY D&D 5E sales site, you cannot sell any other RPG stuff there.
    Oh crap thats right, Im thinking of DrivethruRPG
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

Quote Originally Posted by rob2e View Post
    Part of the thinking amongst those of us talking about this on my Discord (and this is by no means official) is that Foundry VTT has some extensions that scrape D&D Beyond for the info to circumvent licensing, and because those bad actors are doing that, WotC is responding with a sweeping attitude to nerf ALL extensions. Just a guess.
    Sounds like something that would be put in a .mod file (data that was scraped) not something sold as an .ext - but what do I know.

Nothing! I know Nothing! (Sgt. Shultz - hogan's heroes)

Another excellent reason for me to continue to just stick to pure code architecture changes with no data.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; November 30th, 2020 at 22:59.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Thread Information