FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 15 First 123412 ... Last
    I don't write extensions, just mods, but I use DOZENS of exts from DMsGuild.
    This is maddening, saddening, disheartening, to say the least!
    Because of their exclusivity agreements, doesnt this also mean once DMsGuild cancels all the extensions, that they are no longer allowed to be posted elsewhere, like here on the forums for those who might choose to make them free after this debacle?
    Anyway, I'm trying to get folks on the Twitter sphere aware and talking about this issue. Sadly, lots of DMsGuild authors aren't involved much with the FG community, but I'm hoping if we all keep this topic in the mind's eye of the community, hopefully it doesn't just get brushed aside and forgotten about.

I have so much more I want to say. I'm angry and sad and riled up about this y'all!
    https://twitter.com/Remedeezy/status...884000770?s=19
    Please feel free to call me Robyn. (I can't change my username here)
    My 5E PDFs & Fantasy Grounds Modules on The Dungeon Master's Guild
    I stream FG content creation, world building, and D&D games on Twitch!
    You can find me on Twitter too, if that's your thing!

I had just added this ext to my wish list to come back and purchase it later. Sooo pissed about it right now. The extension looked awesome.
    AKA Szczur on most Discord channels.
    Dying builds character. Pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Remedeez View Post
    I don't write extensions, just mods, but I use DOZENS of exts from DMsGuild.
    This is maddening, saddening, disheartening, to say the least!
    Because of their exclusivity agreements, doesnt this also mean once DMsGuild cancels all the extensions, that they are no longer allowed to be posted elsewhere, like here on the forums for those who might choose to make them free after this debacle?
    Anyway, I'm trying to get folks on the Twitter sphere aware and talking about this issue. Sadly, lots of DMsGuild authors aren't involved much with the FG community, but I'm hoping if we all keep this topic in the mind's eye of the community, hopefully it doesn't just get brushed aside and forgotten about.

I have so much more I want to say. I'm angry and sad and riled up about this y'all!
    https://twitter.com/Remedeezy/status...884000770?s=19
    There is no way they can prevent anyone from posting them for free IMHO. WOTC does not own FG.

For sure the one free one I maintain for the community will continue to be maintained. And I'm sure something will be figured out for the current paid extensions in DMsG. May take a bit of time - but it will happen I'm sure. Also, IMHO.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    There is no way they can prevent anyone from posting them for free IMHO. WOTC does not own FG.

For sure the one free one I maintain for the community will continue to be maintained. And I'm sure something will be figured out for the current paid extensions in DMsG. May take a bit of time - but it will happen I'm sure. Also, IMHO.
    I'm talking about extensions that get pulled from DMsGuild. Their policy is that once you publish something on DMsGuild, it can NEVER be published anywhere else.

Please respond to their email and see what they say about releasing products they are banning for free elsewhere. I'd like to know their official stance on it as I have a bunch of extensions there as well. But I have not gotten an email yet.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Really would like to see the extension manager that was discussed in the past implemented in FGU proper. Add a marketplace for such things and call it done and we can stop having to look at forum posts for extension updates as well.

My understanding was they "owned" that content once you posted there and you couldn't post it anywhere else?
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by mattekure View Post
    Please respond to their email and see what they say about releasing products they are banning for free elsewhere. I'd like to know their official stance on it as I have a bunch of extensions there as well. But I have not gotten an email yet.
    I've asked.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    Really would like to see the extension manager that was discussed in the past implemented in FGU proper. Add a marketplace for such things and call it done and we can stop having to look at forum posts for extension updates as well.

My understanding was they "owned" that content once you posted there and you couldn't post it anywhere else?
    This is pretty much correct. WHENEVER a person uploads a product to the DMsGuild, they must click "I agree" to the Community Content Agreement, which spells out DMsGuild's exclusivity policy on the product that person uploads.

Screenshot attached for clarity:
    DMSGUILDCCA.jpg

This is pretty much correct. WHENEVER a person uploads a product to the DMsGuild, they must click "I agree" to the Community Content Agreement, which spells out DMsGuild's exclusivity policy on the product that person uploads.

Screenshot attached for clarity:
    DMSGUILDCCA.jpg
    If that holds legally for them refusing to sell that product - I'd be expecting them to be in some legal trouble. Not really worried about it. They'll clarify for sure.

Blog Entries
    I'm actually not surprised. I know everyone was trying to play by the rules, but selling extensions was certainly not something the DMsG was ever set up for. There were a lot of licensing issues the CCA just didn't address with software code. But, SmiteWorks and WotC were getting commissions on it so I thought they would have approached this is a different way.

IANAL, but I don't think such a ruling would be enforceable legally. Of course, who is going to sue WotC so that they can sell their FG extensions elsewhere?

Why I believe this is because their are basically rulings everywhere that state even a contract can not prevent people from making a living (i.e. why non-competes are not enforceable and that gentlemen's agreements not to hire from other companies have actually resulted in lawsuits that were one by the employees.) Since WotC doesn't have IP rights to the extensions, I don't see how they can claim you can't distribute elsewhere.

Now, SmiteWorks does have claim to the IP of the extensions (actually, the xml/LUA formatting) but they allow folks to distribute extensions here on the forums. They also allow Patreon and other monetarization of extensions with prior permission from them. I assume Doug is now aware of this issue. Give him some time to work through it on the backend before helping to come up with a solution moving forward.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information