5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

I want to get into D&D 5e, what do I need to buy to start playing and DMing?

I love the forgotten realms but Ive never really played D&D. I've only played the PC games. But the world is fantasical and great and I'm in love with it. I've played other RPGs but never D&D and I feel as though it's finally time to play the OG franchise that started it all. So what books to I need to run games in D&D for my friends and play in other's games as well?

Blog Entries
    The Basic Rules are all you need. And they are included free with a FG license.

But, it's not all you will want! Here's a good post to read as a starting place; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...eed-to-play-5e

In short, it depends on what you want and your budget. I suspect you will want at least 1 adventure module (Lost Mines of Phandelver and Icespire Peak (part of the Essentials Kit) are great places to start.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks I think I'll go ahead and get the 3 core books then. Do any of them contain lore about the forgotten realms?

Quote Originally Posted by InfinitePudding View Post
    Thanks I think I'll go ahead and get the 3 core books then. Do any of them contain lore about the forgotten realms?
    No. there's no one book really which covers the Forgotten Realms in it's entirety. The closest is Sword Coast Adventure's Guide; but there's more stuff scattered through the various adventures.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    In 5E they really haven't written a comprehensive lore book for the FR. As said, SCAG is a good lore book for the Sword Coast. Other than that I use the FR Wiki page. Just have to understand what time you are playing in (~1490DR) because it includes a lot of information from other editions.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I've decided to go ahead and get the Essentials bundle since it's a dang good deal The Sword coast guide is included in that. Thanks ya'll

Hello.

I, too, want to start a first D&D campaign with my group. We don't have any physical rulebooks to share.

So I thought to start with the essentials kit. There should be an "64-page rulebook that teaches you how to create characters of levels 1-6 and play the game" be included. BUT: can I, having a standard edition, share this rulebook with my players, having the standard edition, too? So they can read the rules? Or can they only refer to the core rule set included by the FG license?
    And what if I, as a GM, would by the main core rulebooks - could a share these books with my players to read that, too? Because in real life, as it is with most groups, there's often only one rulebook shared by all players... :-)

Thanks for any help.

Blog Entries
    Hi dasboeh there is also the free SRD and Basic Rules. These also have info for new players and getting started. You can share the Player components of these - eg dont share monsters or DM info.

Thanks damned for your reply. But what if I really purchase a rulebook (may it be from essentials kit or the PHB) - can I share it with my players? I would also purchase ultimate edition if I need to share...

Blog Entries
    Ahhh ok sorry.
    The GNM can share books with players.
    They players can access the shared books while they are connected to the GM (eg in the game session)

As GM you have two options -
    either you have an Ultimate License
    or you and all players have a standard license

Thread Information