Starfinder Playlist

To migrate to FGU or not to migrate

As a long time FGC player and DM - would the transition be quick and painless for me and players alike? Including transferring a campaign.

Also, is there any reason why one would not upgrade, besides paying money? lol

Would I never need to port forward again?

Will I discover the meaning of life if I upgrade?

And yes, this is me pondering the Black Friday deal lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by manukosta View Post
    As a long time FGC player and DM - would the transition be quick and painless for me and players alike? Including transferring a campaign.
    It was for me. But if you have modules that were created outside FGC or lots of extensions, it might not be painless fo ryou. See; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ampaign-to-FGU

Also, is there any reason why one would not upgrade, besides paying money? lol
    FGU does not run on Window 7. You should not be using it anyway, but if you are and refuse to upgrade their is that. FGU does have performance type problems with massive data sets that FGC does not. So if you play PF or similar games and have spell books with tens of thousands of spells, or feat lists with thousands of feats, then you might not enjoy the experience.

Would I never need to port forward again?
    Not if you use cloud connection for your games.

Will I discover the meaning of life if I upgrade?
    Yes, yes you will. I believe the answer is 42.

And yes, this is me pondering the Black Friday deal lol
    Probably the best deal we will see for a long time.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Was thinking of migrating too. If I have the Classic License, do I still get a discount for the migration?
    The only thing necessary, for the triumph of evil,
    is for good men to do nothing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
    Was thinking of migrating too. If I have the Classic License, do I still get a discount for the migration?
    Yes. You won't see it until you put the item in your cart though.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by manukosta View Post
    I migrated my 2 year campaign painlessly. I made a backup, moved it over, and then went in to check it out. I didn't move masking data on maps so I went into this week's map and masked it up. That's pretty much the extent of what I had to 'fix'.

Blog Entries
    Yes, one thing is that your maps will loose all masking. Possibly a big deal if you've been running the campaign for a long time as I have (5+ years).
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Yes, one thing is that your maps will loose all masking. Possibly a big deal if you've been running the campaign for a long time as I have (5+ years).
    But you only need the mask on the maps your players are on actually at the moment, isn't it? All the old maps probably do not need a mask anymore because players may not need the map anymore, because it is a finished section of the campaign etc.. And if, then one can still redo the FoW for that particular map

Most of the time one just needs one map with FoW (the actual battle map for example); so, in the most cases, importing a campaign means that you need to redo the mask for at most one map

Blog Entries
    In my campaign there are maps all over the place that the group goes back to again and again... it can be a problem.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    In my campaign there are maps all over the place that the group goes back to again and again... it can be a problem.
    Oki, for such situations certainly then

I had to split off and export all of my content into, player made modules. This was done from several very big hodge-podge modules. I am glad that I started that project about a year ago. Recently my place got flooded and I had to move out to a hotel for a month or so. Lucky for me everything I needed was already available for a seamless switch to FGU. I am still working on the last module.

I would say moving to FGU is good, but I still design in FGC for now.

I am sure after they I will find some new project.

These are the modules and extensions created and/or taken over by dellanx for PFRPG.

I had a lot of help and advice from many here at FG.

Thank You!

Thread Information