STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: LoS problems

LoS problems

Kelrugem suggested to create my own thread for these issues, as they could have gone unnoticed as part of another thread. v4.0.3

- Tokens not on the CT are not LoS visible even when specifically set to "Mask sensitive" (back and forth between always visible and mask sensitive).

- When tokens are moved without snap-to-grid (or via CTRL modifier) then LoS is only updated to half-grid during (mouse-)movement until the token is finally released. So only after being release the correct LoS is calculated from the center of the token instead of half-grid steps.

- It happened repeatedly that a PC token added to the map from the CT did *not* reveal LoS to the player owning it (myself via localhost). So all the player got was a black window when LoS was enabled.

This happened with a map from a bought AP just the same as with one of the FG Battle Maps. I specifically loaded a test campaign with nothing (!) loaded but the single module including the map and it still happened.

"Revert changes" seems to have helped then. Next time it happens I will check simply removing the token and then adding it again might help, too.

- With different maps it happened that LoS lines were gone and inaccessible. Unlocking the map and opening the LoS tool displayed no lines at all then. Once I noticed that opening the Mask tool showed some crooked lines outside the house shown on the map. I think all pins were also missing.

Using "Revert changes" while the map was open made the crooked mask lines vanish, but and pins appeared at the lower right corner of the map (wrong places). I suspect this happened because I resized the map window to be smaller than in its original state. When I closed the map window and then revert changes again the map window could be opened at original size with all pins and LoS lines intact.

- Early at my testing it happened that my own GM controlled NPCs could not see each other even when they stood right in front of each other. What I mean is that PCs were revealed as being seen, but the other NPCs stays half-translucent even in plain sight.

- I recently tried an extension that allows to place spell tokens on a map. In one instance when I placed a 8x8 squares token on a map the token borders became LoS borders without any LoS lines showing up. Furthermore the PC that placed the token could not leave the token space anymore. Said extension does not (officially) meddle with LoS, so this should not have happened and usually does not happen (only this once yet).
    Last edited by Weissrolf; November 28th, 2020 at 02:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    Kelrugem suggested to create my own thread for these issues, as they could have gone unnoticed as part of another thread. v4.0.3

- Tokens not on the CT are not LoS visible even when specifically set to "Mask sensitive" (back and forth between always visible and mask sensitive).

- When tokens are moved without snap-to-grid (or via CTRL modifier) then LoS is only updated to half-grid during (mouse-)movement until the token is finally released. So only after being release the correct LoS is calculated from the center of the token instead of half-grid steps.

- It happened repeatedly that a PC token added to the map from the CT did *not* reveal LoS to the player owning it (myself via localhost). So all the player got was a black window when LoS was enabled.

This happened with a map from a bought AP just the same as with one of the FG Battle Maps. I specifically loaded a test campaign with nothing (!) loaded but the single module including the map and it still happened.

"Revert changes" seems to have helped then. Next time it happens I will check simply removing the token and then adding it again might help, too.

- With different maps it happened that LoS lines were gone and inaccessible. Unlocking the map and opening the LoS tool displayed no lines at all then. Once I noticed that opening the Mask tool showed some crooked lines outside the house shown on the map. I think all pins were also missing.

Using "Revert changes" while the map was open made the crooked mask lines vanish, but and pins appeared at the lower right corner of the map (wrong places). I suspect this happened because I resized the map window to be smaller than in its original state. When I closed the map window and then revert changes again the map window could be opened at original size with all pins and LoS lines intact.

- Early at my testing it happened that my own GM controlled NPCs could not see each other even when they stood right in front of each other. What I mean is that PCs were revealed as being seen, but the other NPCs stays half-translucent even in plain sight.

- I recently tried an extension that allows to place spell tokens on a map. In one instance when I placed a 8x8 squares token on a map the token borders became LoS borders without any LoS lines showing up. Furthermore the PC that placed the token could not leave the token space anymore. Said extension does not (officially) meddle with LoS, so this should not have happened and usually does not happen (only this once yet).
    To the second point: I could imagine that this is intended for performance reasons

To the third point: I think the player selected their token the first time a map was shared to initiate the first LoS calculation? (just to make sure, but I think so)

To the fourth point: It sounds like an official module? If yes, which map and module lost the pins? And was it in an old campaign? (sometimes when campaigns are older than certain updates for modules, then "revert changes" is needed, though it is strange that you needed to do it twice; an example map and steps of reproducing it may help But it sounds like that one can reproduce the last bug with deleting pins, then making the map window small, then "revert changes" while keeping the map open; something like this?)

To the last/sixth point: Hm, it could be related to that PC/clients cannot place their own tokens yet in FGU, this is not officially supported yet as it was in FGC. So, it may still be a problem related to the extension (one needs steps to reproduce it without the extension then, to prove that it is not due to the extension)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    To the second point: I could imagine that this is intended for performance reasons
    Likely, but better to ask if this is intentional design.

To the third point: I think the player selected their token the first time a map was shared to initiate the first LoS calculation? (just to make sure, but I think so)
    Was not possible. The whole map was black and not even the player token was visible/selectable.

To the fourth point: It sounds like an official module? If yes, which map and module lost the pins? And was it in an old campaign?
    Agents of Edgewatch: Dreaming Palace #1), running since September, but imported from FGC.

(sometimes when campaigns are older than certain updates for modules, then "revert changes" is needed, though it is strange that you needed to do it twice;
    Looked more like something interfered with proper placement of the present pins and when I reverted it back while the smaller window was open the pins were placed as if the window was bigger (original size). The whole map size thing is still strange in FGU, like when you switch to background or fullscreen or back then map sizes reset to being smaller than the window size.

an example map and steps of reproducing it may help But it sounds like that one can reproduce the last bug with deleting pins, then making the map window small, then "revert changes" while keeping the map open; something like this?)
    Not well reproducible at the moment. It's something with the LoS engine getting stuck on specific (random) maps sometimes, which then seems to cause all of the error up I listed after no. 2.

To the last/sixth point: Hm, it could be related to that PC/clients cannot place their own tokens yet in FGU, this is not officially supported yet as it was in FGC. So, it may still be a problem related to the extension (one needs steps to reproduce it without the extension then, to prove that it is not due to the extension)
    It only happened once, though, so it's neither consistent behavior nor easily reprodicible. And again connected to LoS. It's very likely connected to using the extension (without the PC cannot place those tokens to begin with), still an oddity. I wonder about the PC not being able to place tokens thing, because I thought FGU reached parity with FGC when Early Access was finished.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; November 28th, 2020 at 07:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    It only happened once, though, so it's neither consistent behavior nor easily reprodicible. And again connected to LoS. It's very likely connected to using the extension (without the PC cannot place those tokens to begin with), still an oddity. I wonder about the PC not being able to place tokens thing, because I thought FGU reached parity with FGC when Early Access was finished.
    I think the plan is to rewrite that, such that plaeyrs can use their own tokens To clarify, in FGC players were able to use shared tokens as far as I remember, but not their own; in FGU they shall be able to use their own stuff instead But not sure anymore what the current plan on this is

Question that probably isn't related to your issues, but definitely related to LOS!
    I just recently upgraded to FGU Ultimate from FGC Ultimate and while I like the new LOS feature I find that I still need to use the manual mask/unmasking as the LOS feature reveals the entire map by default to the players. Sure, they cannot see the pins or encounters, but they can still see the map's layout and this is just freaking Irritating. Anyone have any ideas on how to basically black out any portion of the map that they are not actively in LOS without having to manually manipulate a mask?

Quote Originally Posted by ChipDancer View Post
    Question that probably isn't related to your issues, but definitely related to LOS!
    I just recently upgraded to FGU Ultimate from FGC Ultimate and while I like the new LOS feature I find that I still need to use the manual mask/unmasking as the LOS feature reveals the entire map by default to the players. Sure, they cannot see the pins or encounters, but they can still see the map's layout and this is just freaking Irritating. Anyone have any ideas on how to basically black out any portion of the map that they are not actively in LOS without having to manually manipulate a mask?
    Before you share the map, make sure that LOS is on, and that you have added the PC tokens from the combat tracker. That should make it where the PCs only see what their tokens see.

Today we played a session of PF2 - Age of Ashes on the "Jungle Clearing 1" map. I added rain FX and we played an encounter of 5 PCs vs. 3 NPCs. Afterwards I removed all NPCs from the CT and then removed all PC tokens from the map. I closed FGU and later restarted it to test something.

I used the opportunity to revert all changes and then all the pins located in the upper left corner (several encounters on that map) were moved to the center right. When I tried to reproduce this it did not happen again. Instead I reverted changes on the "Jungle Clearing 2" map where I has positioned a single PC char (my own testchar) a few sessions ago (later removed from CT). Here it happened again.

Closing and reopening the image window moves the pins back to their original position and resets the map zoom level and possibly window size (not sure). Just zooming/scrolling does not help.

Thanks DCrumb! I'll test this shortly. Also, does anyone have any fix for the way tokens are not snapping to the grid? They keep wanting to snap to the line or between two squares instead of centering in the grid aligned square. I noticed this often in FGC, but figured it would be resolved in FGU; apparently not. Am I missing a setting somewhere? I am a novice at best with FG in general!

Thanks in advance for any help all!

Blog Entries
    Tokens need to be able to snap to vertices, otherwise tokens of size other than medium can't be placed correctly. Mid points of a grid segment is desired by many people as well.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

* Token mask sensitivity fix should be in v4.0.4.

* Half-grid LoS updates during token movement is by design; or else performance is degraded too much.

* If you have a specific set of steps that recreate the LoS not being revealed to players, please provide here.

* Which maps are you seeing LoS and shortcuts missing on by default? What are your exact steps to recreate? Are you running any extensions?

* Fixes for token visibility are in v4.0.4.

* If you have a specific set of steps to add a 8x8 token to a map that exhibits the issue without any extensions, please provide here.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information