5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

How do I add IFT characteristics to a weapon (ex: Lightbringer or Holy Avenger)

The short answer might be that you can't. But in case I'm wrong, I'd love to know.

Can you add an effect to a weapon like Lightbringer where it causes an extra 1d6 radiant damage to an attack against undead? I know there are a few methods like:
    • Add another item called "Lightbringer (Undead)" and add an extra 1d6 radiant damage roll that the player can use instead.
    • Add an effect that they can activate in their abilities using something like IFT: type(undead); DMG: 1d6 radiant. They can activate this before a roll or keep it on permanently given they only use this weapons.

Both of these seem like viable but not optimal options. The first is just clunky and the second either requires them to click it before each attack or keep it up permanently and just remember to turn it off if they use another weapon. Also, you'd have to constantly monitor the effects status in the combat tracker.

My question is, can you add this effect to an actual weapon. The FG effects guide lists something similar for the holy avenger, but I wouldn't know where to put this on a weapon.
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    You can't. Except....

In the actions tab you can modify the actions for an item to give it the effects you want. Or you can use an extension that allows you to add effects directly to weapon items. Sorry, I know there is at least one, but I can't remember it's name. Check the sticky at the top of the forum if someone else doesn't point you there first

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Your second option is the best one. The effect would be IFT: TYPE(undead); DMG: 1d6, radiant

You can keep this on permanently except if the character uses multiple weapons since the effect will fire off any weapon damage roll. In that case the effect would need to be added only when that weapon was being used.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

From searching in the forums I guess it is the following paid extension https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...mage-Extension

I would solve your problem by adding a power if the cast, the effect and the normal damage. example.JPG This way your player can click on the effect applying it his character and just press the damage. When the damage is rolled the effect will disappear. The effects guide uses the same solution for the holy avenger.

Actually when I think about it this extension does the same thing as the one linked above https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...cs-characters)
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Your second option is the best one. The effect would be IFT: TYPE(undead); DMG: 1d6, radiant

You can keep this on permanently except if the character uses multiple weapons since the effect will fire off any weapon damage roll. In that case the effect would need to be added only when that weapon was being used.
    Problem with some of these is they are a combination of things. The bonus (taken care of by FGU action weapon entry for you), the effect (taken care of by making an effect for the weapon), and sometimes and aura or other strange things not easily managed in FGU. One solution - or one extension - is rarely a one fit all.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

I use an extension that is free, not made by me, where you can add effects directly to items, npcs and characters. You can add that 2nd option directly to the weapon so that it is only active when the weapon is used. The link for that extension is https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...cs-characters) and I find it to be a great blessing for armor and weapon effects as well as custom magic items. This way, equip the item, the effect is active, unequip the item, the effect is removed. I have had no issues and I have effects on all armors as I use a home brew armor/DR system.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Tryggvy View Post
    I use an extension that is free, not made by me, where you can add effects directly to items, npcs and characters. You can add that 2nd option directly to the weapon so that it is only active when the weapon is used. The link for that extension is https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...cs-characters) and I find it to be a great blessing for armor and weapon effects as well as custom magic items. This way, equip the item, the effect is active, unequip the item, the effect is removed. I have had no issues and I have effects on all armors as I use a home brew armor/DR system.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks Ragnar. Do you know if this (or even all FGC extensions) are compatible with FG Unity?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Actually when I think about it this extension does the same thing as the one linked above https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...cs-characters)
    Thanks Zacchaeus!

The extension I listed is compatible with FGU. Not all extensions are compatible with both FGC and FGU. I use FGU and that is where I have tested what I listed. I am sorry I did not list the version. It really does expand your abilities within the structure to more easily work with effects within Fantasy Grounds.
    Ragnar Tryggvy - GM and Player - Fantasy Grounds Classic and Unity Ultimate License
    D&D, AD&D, 2e, 3.5e, Pathfinder, 4e, 5e
    Thank you greatly to those of you that have made these fantastic extensions that greatly enhance the play and fun of my games.

Thread Information