FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    I've been playing in a Strange Aeons campaign in Unity since March. It was pretty iffy at first and we had to go theater of the mind a few times when it just would not work, but these days it is totally usable.
    I ran a 5e game March - May using Unity with some weirdness but don't remember it ever stopping a session.
    I ran Plunder and Peril April - June using Unity with only a few issues early on.
    I just started running Yuletide Terror last night in Unity also.
    I have considered bringing my Return of the Runelords group to Unity for a variety of improvements it brings, but that game is only a couple levels from the conclusion, so I am sticking with Classic there so I don't have to help my players migrate.
    I have about half of the official PF1e rule modules and all 5 officially-converted bestiaries along with a few community modules. I use about 12-18 extensions.
    My computer is Intel i5-10400, 32GB DDR4 RAM, NVMe SSD, NVIDIA GTX 960. It runs at a very usable speed and never freezes for more than a second at a time (and even that is pretty rare).
    In fact, in some things I find it much faster than in Classic (scrolling, window movement, general responsiveness basically--especially with the interface).

I recommend using community classes and archetypes module, community spellbook module, official ultimate equipment module, official bestiaries, and community feats module.
    This will give you almost everything for ~$300 without there being duplicates in your reference libraries from things being in multiple places.
    That being said, I used only official modules until this Yuletide Terror game and did not notice terrible performance.
    Until July I was using my old computer which was AMD Phenom II X6, 16GB DDR3 RAM, SATA SSD, NVIDIA GTX 960. It was definitely slower in Unity than Classic but still very usable. Personally I see the most change coming from the SSD upgrade (from SATA to NVMe) and the much newer CPU, although the RAM speed going from DDR3 to DDR4 is a big part too.
    EDIT: I don't think 32GB RAM is at all necessary for FG unless you have a really complex/large campaign (and even then maybe not).
    EDIT2: My Internet is ~100mbps down and 10mbps up
    Last edited by bmos; November 29th, 2020 at 20:20.

How is the performance demand balanced between GM & players on FGU ?
    I've been very happily running my PF1 campaign on FGC but just bought FGU (I don't mind if it's a slow migration, I bought this with a view to the future if it isn't quite ready yet).
    Because I do CG, my PC is very high-performance, but some of my players not so much (although none are truly potato-PCs).
    I wondered, how much of the extra performance demands of FGU fall on the GM side & how much on the player side ?

Quote Originally Posted by Decade View Post
    How is the performance demand balanced between GM & players on FGU ?
    I've been very happily running my PF1 campaign on FGC but just bought FGU (I don't mind if it's a slow migration, I bought this with a view to the future if it isn't quite ready yet).
    Because I do CG, my PC is very high-performance, but some of my players not so much (although none are truly potato-PCs).
    I wondered, how much of the extra performance demands of FGU fall on the GM side & how much on the player side ?
    I have definitely had players complain about their laptops running hot.
    This seems to be mostly addressed by the new /vsync chat command they added to Unity.

Thanks a lot for this feeback guys, this is encouraging. I think what I need really is more memory seeing these 32GB around (I only have 8GB, that's likely the issue here).

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    I have definitely had players complain about their laptops running hot.
    This seems to be mostly addressed by the new /vsync chat command they added to Unity.
    Thanks bmos, I think I'll have to make the experiment & see how things go.

Running campaign with all stuff I could Grab it gets sluggish at load.
    After load there seems to be a delay between GM and players. But seems ok.
    AMD 2600 16 gb ram
    SSD
    DSL 50mbit
    Last edited by Morquendel; November 29th, 2020 at 21:06.

If you have a computer that you can easily upgrade your memory, then yes that would be my first move. Memory prices are pretty cheap. Like bmos said 16GB is likely all you need. Try to match any new memory speed to your current memory speed. Also while probably not necessary I would look up videos on how to increase your virtual memory if you have the disk space. It might provide a slight bump in performance.
    Last edited by Deslock100; November 30th, 2020 at 03:17.

Thread Information