5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Unmasking Intermittently Not Working

I have had this happen in several campaigns - one was brought over from FGC after being in play for 4+ years (Castles & Crusades) and the other is a brand new campaign just started in FGU (AD&D Classics).

I am not using LoS and the maps in question have no LoS data assigned.

I can add a mask to the whole area, but when I go to reveal portions, the lines draw which would normally show you the portion you are unmasking. However, when completed, the mask is not removed.

I can work on one map, have the masking be modifiable, and then open another map and be unable to adjust the mask on it in the same instance of the program.

When I shut down FGU and then relaunch, I am able to adjust the masking on the map I was having trouble with. This is OK when I'm out of a session (although obviously not ideal nor I think "intended"), but I can't shut down during a game with 6+ players, restart, have everyone connect again and then hope that the unmasking will work this time.

To also be fair, this hasn't happened every time I'm working on something. I just started to move my 5 campaigns to FGU this week and it has happened in 2 of the 3 I've done some preliminary work on (loosing all the masking information is a heck of a kick in the pants for long running campaigns).
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    To add; it seems to work on the first map I work with after loading (or reloading), or a map that has already had some masking adjusted previously. It just doesn't work on any map afterwards.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    To add; it seems to work on the first map I work with after loading (or reloading), or a map that has already had some masking adjusted previously. It just doesn't work on any map afterwards.
    I'd like to get a look at the masking data on the maps. Can you share a copy of the campaign? Thanks.

I have a new map in a 5E DIA module. The lock button in the FX Layer for Water won't toggle states. Somehow I seam to be able to apply and remove masks with the lock on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcr View Post
    I have a new map in a 5E DIA module. The lock button in the FX Layer for Water won't toggle states. Somehow I seam to be able to apply and remove masks with the lock on.
    The layer lock is a transform lock, i.e. it prevents the layer from being moved, rotated, or scaled. Since transforms do no apply to FX layers, the lock state is implicitly on. I'll look into enabling the lock for FX layers to prevent editing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    I'd like to get a look at the masking data on the maps. Can you share a copy of the campaign? Thanks.
    Hi Carl. I've PMed you the Dropbox link.
    Last edited by JohnD; November 22nd, 2020 at 22:20. Reason: Added clarification.

- John Diefenbaker

Blog Entries
    Hi Carl. I've PMed you the Dropbox link.
    Thanks. I got the files, but I haven't been able to reproduce the error yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    Thanks. I got the files, but I haven't been able to reproduce the error yet.
    Carl,

Try this;

1. Open one map. Apply mask. Try to unmask portions of it.
    2. Repeat step 1 with other maps/pictures. In my experience, after the 2nd or 3rd one the unmasking fails.
    3. Once unmasking fails, restart FGU or do a /reload.
    4. Look at the map that failed. Either there will be no changes to the mask, or several of the areas you tried to unmask before will be visible (where they weren't before).
    5. Check each map in steps 1 through 3 to see if you can still modify the mask.
    6. Open another map, apply the mask and try to unmask portions of it.
    7. Repeat step 6 until unmasking fails (again, usually the 2nd or 3rd map).

Hope this helps.

- John Diefenbaker

Blog Entries
    Carl,

Try this;

1. Open one map. Apply mask. Try to unmask portions of it.
    2. Repeat step 1 with other maps/pictures. In my experience, after the 2nd or 3rd one the unmasking fails.
    3. Once unmasking fails, restart FGU or do a /reload.
    4. Look at the map that failed. Either there will be no changes to the mask, or several of the areas you tried to unmask before will be visible (where they weren't before).
    5. Check each map in steps 1 through 3 to see if you can still modify the mask.
    6. Open another map, apply the mask and try to unmask portions of it.
    7. Repeat step 6 until unmasking fails (again, usually the 2nd or 3rd map).

Hope this helps.
    Just wanted to update; I can replicate the above pattern, at least with the campaign I sent via Dropbox.

Upon loading, I can adjust the mask of 4 maps that have already had masking applied and modified. The next map I open and apply a mask to for the 1st time, I am unable to adjust the mask. If I shut down FGU completely and then reload the campaign, I can go to the map where I couldn't modify the mask, I can now make adjustments to it.

- John Diefenbaker

Just wanted to update; I can replicate the above pattern, at least with the campaign I sent via Dropbox.

Upon loading, I can adjust the mask of 4 maps that have already had masking applied and modified. The next map I open and apply a mask to for the 1st time, I am unable to adjust the mask. If I shut down FGU completely and then reload the campaign, I can go to the map where I couldn't modify the mask, I can now make adjustments to it.
    I was able to reproduce it

It is fairly easy to reproduce:

1. Start campaign, make sure you have at least five images/maps
    2. Apply total mask to the one of the images, then unhide some area by drawing one unhide-rectangle
    3. Do the same with a second, third and fourth image.
    4. Try the same with a fifth image. Observe: The total mask can be applied but I cannot unhide certain areas using the unhide tool I can only remove the total mask by using the total-delete button

Thread Information