DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last

[extension] Spell Domain Extension

This extension is now on www.dmsguild.com 'Fantasy Grounds Spell Domain'
    My other extensions can be found on www.dmsguild.com 'Bratch Nine'
    RULESET : 5E

This extension is adding an additional prepared tick box for 'domain/oath' spells, allowing for domain/oath spells to be tracked along with the normal prepared spells which can be changed after a long rest for these types of classes.

Also adds support for the generation of an 'extended spell list' on the abilities page that parses these from the 'features' and 'traits' section.
    Last edited by bratch9; March 4th, 2022 at 14:31.

I just found this and I will say it is very nice. It is a clean way to track those spells. I also, use it for any class that has additional spells from the sub class even if it is not a domain like ranger's gloomstalker.

Quote Originally Posted by nephranka View Post
    I just found this and I will say it is very nice. It is a clean way to track those spells. I also, use it for any class that has additional spells from the sub class even if it is not a domain like ranger's gloomstalker.
    Thanks, if you find any conflicts please let me know. ( Or have suggestions. )

-pete
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

Forge Modules: B9's Steel Defender.
    Forge Extensions: B9's Spell Tokens, B9's Encumbrance Tweak, B9's Damage Per Round, B9's Surprise Round.
    DMsGuild Extensions: Advanced Weapon Damage, Advanced Spell Damage, Aspect Of The Bear, Spell Long Rest For NPC, Spell Domain.

Quote Originally Posted by bratch9 View Post
    Thanks, if you find any conflicts please let me know. ( Or have suggestions. )

-pete
    Sure thing.

Conflicts: nothing so far (which is very good)!

Suggestions:
    So, this is more of an observation. Domains are the main driver but this has use for other classes that get spells from the subclass they choose. I think this a great way to track spells for say the gloomstalker or the clockwork sorcerer. I would have never thought to look at this if I wanted to do those and not cleric domains. Not sure there is much to do about that. Not sure if there is a good name to encompass all of them.

It would be neat if you were able to pick up the choice in domain and auto add the spells by level.

Keep up the great work!

Sure thing.

Conflicts: nothing so far (which is very good)!

Suggestions:
    So, this is more of an observation. Domains are the main driver but this has use for other classes that get spells from the subclass they choose. I think this a great way to track spells for say the gloomstalker or the clockwork sorcerer. I would have never thought to look at this if I wanted to do those and not cleric domains. Not sure there is much to do about that. Not sure if there is a good name to encompass all of them.

It would be neat if you were able to pick up the choice in domain and auto add the spells by level.

Keep up the great work!
    Thanks for the feedback.

1. Name to convey is tricky.. Its also why call 'spell domain' and not 'cleric domain', like you say other class/subclasses get specific spells on top of the normal selection. I have no idea what I'd call this. But maybe I need to add extra wording and some images on DmsGuild and show a mix of class/subclass views using it.

2. I'm not sure how spells pickup from level up would work. I see a lot of issues with the subclass feature selections due to the normal level up not processing the subclass properly. ( I see it a lot with 'barbarian totem warrior' and the sub selections for bear/eagle/wolf maybe its better now in the class wizard for the spells domain type directions. ) But also SilentRuin has been having issues with character wizard extensions ( on his advantages extension ) and was basically told he should not be playing with extending it. Its too fast moving at the moment and its design is monolithic and not 'module'/'extension' friendly.

I'll add these to my notes, and think about them.
    -pete
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

Forge Extensions: B9's Spell Tokens, B9's Encumbrance Tweak, B9's Damage Per Round, B9's Surprise Round.
    DMsGuild Extensions: Advanced Weapon Damage, Advanced Spell Damage, Aspect Of The Bear, Spell Long Rest For NPC, Spell Domain.

Thanks for the feedback.

1. Name to convey is tricky.. Its also why call 'spell domain' and not 'cleric domain', like you say other class/subclasses get specific spells on top of the normal selection. I have no idea what I'd call this. But maybe I need to add extra wording and some images on DmsGuild and show a mix of class/subclass views using it.

2. I'm not sure how spells pickup from level up would work. I see a lot of issues with the subclass feature selections due to the normal level up not processing the subclass properly. ( I see it a lot with 'barbarian totem warrior' and the sub selections for bear/eagle/wolf maybe its better now in the class wizard for the spells domain type directions. ) But also SilentRuin has been having issues with character wizard extensions ( on his advantages extension ) and was basically told he should not be playing with extending it. Its too fast moving at the moment and its design is monolithic and not 'module'/'extension' friendly.

I'll add these to my notes, and think about them.
    -pete
    Makes sense. Thanks!

Edit: I guess there is no way to read the domain from the sheet and add the spells directly without using the CW?
    Last edited by nephranka; January 20th, 2022 at 13:28.

Makes sense. Thanks!

Edit: I guess there is no way to read the domain from the sheet and add the spells directly without using the CW?
    Probably, yes... But parsing them out of the source character sheet is complex. If you look into the CW 5e ruleset at '5E\charwizard\scripts\data_charwizard.lua', you will see a mass of hardcoded control data for it. ( Hint... because not even FG dev team can be bothered to write the code to parse it out of the source character sheet.... )

I could make a table based off the book access I have, and like the CW hardcode this in a table... and make updated as new classes/subclasses come along.

But if you have used my other extensions, you will see I prefer to parse data so that users can make spells and follow the parse rules and it should work. You could get to the likes of grimpress/rob2e and the pre-built specific custom spell effects they provide. You can see the different sides of the same coin.

Much of FG is designed to be parsed, I feel its 'wrong' for the CW to have these massive hardcoded tables. And because of this, when someone uses a DMsGuild module that has a new subclass this then totally fails to work with the CW. ( Hence SilentRuin issues with the CW )

And I'd have the same issue with a hard coded table for these... I'd get 'can you just detect 'x' off DMsGuild' and add these....

Its one of the reason spell tokens uses an import xml data..

I could probably do a half-way table, by exposing class/subclass names, and then spell links into a configuration table. So DM's can import/add/edit what the system would auto add etc..

As I say, I'll think about the options I have. But these things take time as I have a busy real world job and limited time to spend on multiple extensions. ( Some that need fixes caused by the sidebar big update that I still have not got around to sorting out.. )

Thanks,
    -pete
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

Probably, yes... But parsing them out of the source character sheet is complex. If you look into the CW 5e ruleset at '5E\charwizard\scripts\data_charwizard.lua', you will see a mass of hardcoded control data for it. ( Hint... because not even FG dev team can be bothered to write the code to parse it out of the source character sheet.... )

I could make a table based off the book access I have, and like the CW hardcode this in a table... and make updated as new classes/subclasses come along.

But if you have used my other extensions, you will see I prefer to parse data so that users can make spells and follow the parse rules and it should work. You could get to the likes of grimpress/rob2e and the pre-built specific custom spell effects they provide. You can see the different sides of the same coin.

Much of FG is designed to be parsed, I feel its 'wrong' for the CW to have these massive hardcoded tables. And because of this, when someone uses a DMsGuild module that has a new subclass this then totally fails to work with the CW. ( Hence SilentRuin issues with the CW )

And I'd have the same issue with a hard coded table for these... I'd get 'can you just detect 'x' off DMsGuild' and add these....

Its one of the reason spell tokens uses an import xml data..

I could probably do a half-way table, by exposing class/subclass names, and then spell links into a configuration table. So DM's can import/add/edit what the system would auto add etc..

As I say, I'll think about the options I have. But these things take time as I have a busy real world job and limited time to spend on multiple extensions. ( Some that need fixes caused by the sidebar big update that I still have not got around to sorting out.. )

Thanks,
    -pete
    Totally understand. I am mainly just discussing here to get an understanding what it takes and trying to help problem solve. I am more than happy with the current product and fully understand the time commitment. I appreciate the effort that has gotten us to this point. Thank you for the response. I will continue to report back anything I think might help.

I am curious as to why the cantrips have an option to "always show" don't they already do that?

I am curious as to why the cantrips have an option to "always show" don't they already do that?
    Just simpler as its all they same thing. Its just a 'power'. You can add groups with mixed spell levels and cantrips, which would then causes some spells with and some spells without in the same power group.

-pete
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

Thread Information