DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 72 of 105 First ... 2262707172737482 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by bratch9 View Post
    v7.1 should resolve this issue.

-pete
    Awesome thank you, I will check it out and let you know if I see anything again.

Using Spell Tokens along with Automatic Effects(mod) and Equipped Effects

So I've been running into an issue when using Spell tokens along with the 5eAE mods and the Equipped Effects extension. There seems to be an interaction with all 3 that causes the spell tokens to not pull into the CT for NPC spells.

I posted about in detail on the AE thread, I hope you will take a look when you get the chance and see if you have any thoughts.

Automatic Effects, Equipped Effects, and Spell Tokens - HELP!

EDIT: One other thing of note. The spell tokens load correctly on PC sheets when dropping the effect spells from Automatic Effects onto their sheet. It's only with NPCs that this is any kind of issue.
    Last edited by Lexi the Red; December 30th, 2022 at 17:37.

I did a series of tests myself, which seems to support what you are saying Alexander. This is a brand new test campaign with either just B9ST or B9ST + EE loaded.
    I don't believe it has anything specifically to do with 5eAE by itself. I believe it has to due with when Equipped Effects replaces the default parsed spell with alternate data besides PHB (in this case it happens to be 5eAE

Now, the parsing of the spell text differs in the scenarios based on the module priority, but this test is proving that B9ST by itself can work with data (and no other extensions) and display its token.

Test #1 -- [EXT] B9 Spell Tokens only
    Scenario 1 - Only PHB loaded - Spell tokens show up
    scenario1.png

Scenario 2 - Only 5eAE loaded - Spell tokens show up
    scenario2.png

Scenario 3 - Both PHB and 5eAE loaded - Spell tokens show up
    scenario3.png

Test #2 - [EXT] B9 Spell Tokens + Equipped Effects
    Scenario 4 - Both PHB and 5eAE loaded. I see the behavior which is 1) No Spell Token 2) Spell details = full 5eAE versions of spells
    scenario4.png

Scenario 5 - Only PHB loaded.. Even though both extensions are running, since Equipped Effects isn't changing any CT data, it still shows the spell tokens.
    scenario5.png

Scenario 6 - Only 5eAE loaded.. This is just testing that there is no module priority going on with PHB.. in this case, spell tokens are not displayed, but 5eAE is parsed.
    scenario6.png

In every case, my test scenario was to remove the NPC from the CT and then readd it after a fresh FG start.
    I noticed on the player sheet for example, it didn't add spell tokens to spells that were already there.. If you had a matching spell you would have to remove the spell and add it back again.
    I was also using the "evoker wizard" from MGttM which uses the new format of "no spells on the NPC, just the listed trait"

I'm not an extension coder, but I've looked at a few extensions, I knew that depending on how you interrupted the original call to do something, you could either clobber subsequent calls in the pipeline, or allow it to continue depending on how you hooked into the original procedure rewrite.. so perhaps one or the other is not properly hooking so that things run in sequence (logical guess only).

Both B9ST and EE are doing something as the spell is being parsed and processed onto the CT.. B9ST adds the token, and EE is altering the text.

I'm hoping with this information (which I've also provided to SR), that there might be a way to have both extensions co-exist and gracefully accomplish what they need to and then pass the baton down the line to the next extension.

Hey B9 just to ask if you managed to take a look at what dbachen and Alexander Red have highlighted it would be really great if we could get these 2 great exts to work in unison.
    Last edited by Leprekorn; January 11th, 2023 at 16:40.

Quote Originally Posted by dbachen View Post
    I'm not an extension coder, but I've looked at a few extensions, I knew that depending on how you interrupted the original call to do something, you could either clobber subsequent calls in the pipeline, or allow it to continue depending on how you hooked into the original procedure rewrite.. so perhaps one or the other is not properly hooking so that things run in sequence (logical guess only).

Both B9ST and EE are doing something as the spell is being parsed and processed onto the CT.. B9ST adds the token, and EE is altering the text.

I'm hoping with this information (which I've also provided to SR), that there might be a way to have both extensions co-exist and gracefully accomplish what they need to and then pass the baton down the line to the next extension.
    I'm sure in the not so distant pass this was all working fine, but you are correct the ST extensions has to 'correct' for overriding a couple of functions that EE also adds into. ( FG and extension merges into the same function do not always go so well depending on what has to happen.. )

My guess would be that due to a ruleset change, that EE adjusted how it was linking and my 'patch' needs to update around those changes.

I've not been around much of the last month so not had access to my dev machine/source code to take a look... But I will try and get to look at it.

-pete
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

Forge Modules: B9's Steel Defender.
    Forge Extensions: B9's Spell Tokens, B9's Encumbrance Tweak, B9's Damage Per Round, B9's Surprise Round.
    DMsGuild Extensions: Advanced Weapon Damage, Advanced Spell Damage, Aspect Of The Bear, Spell Long Rest For NPC, Spell Domain.

Quote Originally Posted by bratch9 View Post
    I'm sure in the not so distant pass this was all working fine, but you are correct the ST extensions has to 'correct' for overriding a couple of functions that EE also adds into. ( FG and extension merges into the same function do not always go so well depending on what has to happen.. )

My guess would be that due to a ruleset change, that EE adjusted how it was linking and my 'patch' needs to update around those changes.

I've not been around much of the last month so not had access to my dev machine/source code to take a look... But I will try and get to look at it.

-pete
    I think the issue happened when SW forced the issue to remove the spell info from the spell and provide links only.
    So now 3rd party spells are linked to the book spells.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    I think the issue happened when SW forced the issue to remove the spell info from the spell and provide links only.
    So now 3rd party spells are linked to the book spells.
    This might be an issue for the advanced spell damage extension but I 'pre-look' and 'relink' those those automatically if the 'link' code is the first item in the description... But I also think the EE effects might then cause an interaction with things like the L05 coding and the 'cast at higher' level control in advanced spell damage.

In the case of Spell tokens and EE, the loss of the spell token on the CT is caused when 'translate NPC powers' is enabled, because EE loads on top of ST and replaces the parseNPCPower functions, and only calls the 'original' function ( which in this case would be the ST version that is overriding the ruleset version.. ) in some cases of the code..

The issue can be fixed if the spell token addToken code section is added to the EE code base..

function parseNPCPower(nodePower, bAllowSpellDataOverride)
    if SpellTokens_B9ST and SpellTokens_B9ST.addToken then
    -- try and add the token
    SpellTokens_B9ST.addToken(nodePower)
    end
    return UtilityManager.copyDeep(sortedpowerdata);

the call to SpellTokens_B9ST.addToken(nodePower), will read the nodePower name and do the matching for the name in the spell tokens configuration, and if it finds the matching name it adds the data into the icon for spell tokens etc..

-pete
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

Forge Extensions: B9's Spell Tokens, B9's Encumbrance Tweak, B9's Damage Per Round, B9's Surprise Round.
    DMsGuild Extensions: Advanced Weapon Damage, Advanced Spell Damage, Aspect Of The Bear, Spell Long Rest For NPC, Spell Domain.

Updated load order to 116 to move Spell Tokens to load after Equipped Effects to resolve a conflict causing spell tokens to not show up on the CT.

-pete
    Last edited by bratch9; January 13th, 2023 at 20:52.
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

Thread Information