DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 8 of 10 First ... 678910 Last

Thread: Why no 3D?

Quote Originally Posted by Fear Grounds View Post
    I'll second that statement!

I've already had players who had to upgrade their computers in order to use the Unity engine. If we all have to have "gaming computers" in order to use Fantasy Grounds, then it's going to limit the community.
    Yep! Happened here. I had to upgrade my PC to use FGU.

I get what the OP is going for, and I agree with others that true 3D is out of the question right now. But as a virtual tabletop, I would love to be able to setup something that feels like tabletop additions that I actually have like Dwarven Forge dungeon tiles and the like...you know, first generation could just be tiles that you buy and put together however you want without a lot of customization options available...second generation could allow you to do things like add custom weathering, your own liquid features, add assets like furniture and other items. I'd pay for something like that if it was done well (looks at the thousands I have spent on just those types of tabletop accessories)

Now that would give you a market for true artists/designers...
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

"Whats the 3D tabletop you are using?

Doug already said in this thread, first they have to get the core 2d stuff done, and branch away from FG Classic (which was the whole point of Unity, add more features and make a whole new system, but maintain backward compatibility - feel like this is not mentioned enough) - then they will got for 2.5 D (isometric maps etc, and eventually 3d. Also having options to be 2d or 3d or isometric is not an option in whatever 3d tabletop is out there, they are built from the ground up as 3d tabletops.

3D will come, when the core system is done and then built up. We only just got FGU out of beta. If everyone just bought FGU licences and stopped using prehistoric Classic, things would move much faster!"

Hello Jiminimonka,

As a supporter still of FGU (it saved my group and kept us together/gaming) i would rather not advertise the competition on FG's forums.

All models are 3rd party made so its as simple as click and drop. Other mods allow you to setup your table in advance and then spits out the setup table as as need with a click.

Tonight was an epic waterfall battle with 3d terrain/height, waterfall with rushing water & sound dropped into a lapping pool, 3d trees blew in the wind, rocks, animals and even birds could be seen, some moved by themselves. Copses of grass hid baddies ready for ambush the waterfall drowning out their presence. The rain and thunder brought an ominous tone, the lightning flashing the room in strokes of white - the light was low giving a sense of claustrophobia, rain pelting the party trudged onward unawares......
    Last edited by RocksFall; March 2nd, 2021 at 08:57.

Quote Originally Posted by RocksFall View Post

Doug already said in this thread, first they have to get the core 2d stuff done, and branch away from FG Classic (which was the whole point of Unity, add more features and make a whole new system, but maintain backward compatibility - feel like this is not mentioned enough) - then they will got for 2.5 D (isometric maps etc, and eventually 3d. Also having options to be 2d or 3d or isometric is not an option in whatever 3d tabletop is out there, they are built from the ground up as 3d tabletops.

3D will come, when the core system is done and then built up. We only just got FGU out of beta. If everyone just bought FGU licences and stopped using prehistoric Classic, things would move much faster!"

Hello Jiminimonka,

As a supporter still of FGU (it saved my group and kept us together/gaming) i would rather not advertise the competition on FG's forums.

All models are 3rd party made so its as simple as click and drop. Other mods allow you to setup your table in advance and then spits out the setup table as as need with a click.

Tonight was an epic waterfall battle with 3d terrain/height, waterfall with rushing water & sound dropped into a lapping pool, 3d trees blew in the wind, rocks, animals and even birds could be seen, some moved by themselves. Copses of grass hid baddies ready for ambush the waterfall drowning out their presence. The rain and thunder brought an ominous tone, the lightning flashing the room in strokes of white - the light was low giving a sense of claustrophobia, rain pelting the party trudged onward unawares......
    Are you talking about Foundry? The graphics are nice, but I don't think the level of automation is close to FGU. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by RocksFall View Post

Hello Jiminimonka,

That was a confusing quote - you edited the bbcode.

Its not advertising, its a legit question. You can talk about other VTT products here, Smiteworks is not scared and won't ban people for mentioning them.

Quote Originally Posted by Temmpest View Post
    Are you talking about Foundry? The graphics are nice, but I don't think the level of automation is close to FGU. I could be wrong.
    Definitely not Foundry. Its not 3d and it has almost no automation built in.

What you are describing sounds a lot like Talespire - a Kickstarter-backed project scheduled for early access release in early 2021. I backed the project myself and would certainly recommend having a look - it is really cool and is showing a lot of promise. Otherwise I've heard of people using Tabletop Simulator to run D&D games. With that said, they are both very different products from Fantasy Grounds. Fantasy Grounds offers extensive ruleset automation and has pre-built adventure modules available for purchase, while the other programs focus exclusively on simulating miniatures.

I have just recently seen some VTT map making software that creates 3d rooms pretty quickly. Just cannot recall the link or what it was called at the moment. I came here looking for more info on the Tabletop Connect software written by Carl Pinder that was bought out by Smiteworks. Can anyone point me in the right direction to anything recent on the project? Been waiting for 3d VTT software as well for quite some time.

Blog Entries
    Tabletop Connect is dead. Carl, and the technology he developed was bought by SmiteWorks (SW). SW has plans to one day consider 3D VTT, but they have many things to do with the current platform before they get to 3D. They have talked about 2.D step in between as well.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Ah I see, sad news.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Tabletop Connect is dead. Carl, and the technology he developed was bought by SmiteWorks (SW). SW has plans to one day consider 3D VTT, but they have many things to do with the current platform before they get to 3D. They have talked about 2.D step in between as well.
    Thanks for filling me in, sad to hear that it dropped, I have been rooting for it for years, ever since he ran the kickstarter for it. Now reading some of the earlier posts I see many share some of the same wishes and hopes. I don't know about some of you but I don't think we really need the animations and all that. Like someone else stated it isn't a video game. Just something that simulates gaming at the table with friends with even more detail. Just like busting out Dwarven Forge and setting up the table. It isn't necessary of course and setting Dwarven Forge up and all that detail during game is a huge time consumer but with some computer software to do it for you, we could have it much faster. Let me find that link on something that looked promising for this very idea.

I am the creator of the dark fantasy RPG Demon Gate. I have been using Roll20 for a couple years now and we just got our sheet integrated into their database. It works like magic and I came over to Fantasy Grounds to see what it was all about since one of the fans had asked if we were gonna add a sheet in FG. I haven't strayed from Roll20 due to its versatility but it would be nice to branch out.

Here is the link, seems it is for 3d printable scenery but throwing it down for play in a VTT wouldn't be far off. Maybe it is just gonna have to be up to one of us eh?

Thread Information