5E Character Create Playlist
Page 7 of 10 First ... 56789 ... Last

Thread: Why no 3D?

Quote Originally Posted by Fear Grounds View Post
    This ^

Please, do not turn fantasy grounds into a build your own adventure video game client. A player's imagination is more powerful than any computer, and more vivid than any 3D asset created.

If you want to play a video game, play a video game. If you want to play a Table Top RPG game over the internet, use Fantasy Grounds.
    As already written from some people on the previous pages, both worlds do not necessarily exclude each other (but I am personally too lazy to write my arguments again Just look at the beginning somewhere ) and just because 3d assets would exist at some point doesn't mean that you cannot do theatre of mind anymore You do not need to use what is there

I am personally happy about when there will be more and more tools/assets in the future

EDIT: It won't be a "video game" just because of 3d. First of all, video games had once similar graphics, they were not always 3d, they may not even have had graphics. And second, the biggest difference of computer games to Pen&Paper is the lack of a gamemaster, which is why a computer game must be prewritten and cannot act spontaneously/flexible to players' choices which were not planned; hence, they are limited in choices. Just because there are 3d assets, doesn't mean that we suddenly play without GMs, so, the freedom of choice given in P&P games will still be given and that is for me personally the biggest attraction of P&P So, I see no danger in why it should be suddenly a "computer game" (and automation is good to have such that one can focus on RP, many people simply do not have fun with doing the same calculations all over again. So, why not taking the positive aspects of "computer games" if possible )
    Last edited by Kelrugem; January 31st, 2021 at 17:50.

I agree the automation for combat saves loads of time, especially for high level fireballs! Then you can focus on the story, which is what its all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    I am personally happy about when there will be more and more tools/assets in the future
    I absolutely agree. Making the game easier to set up is always a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    EDIT: It won't be a "video game" just because of 3d. First of all, video games had once similar graphics, they were not always 3d, they may not even have had graphics. And second, the biggest difference of computer games to Pen&Paper is the lack of a gamemaster, which is why a computer game must be prewritten and cannot act spontaneously/flexible to players' choices which were not planned; hence, they are limited in choices. Just because there are 3d assets, doesn't mean that we suddenly play without GMs, so, the freedom of choice given in P&P games will still be given and that is for me personally the biggest attraction of P&P So, I see no danger in why it should be suddenly a "computer game" (and automation is good to have such that one can focus on RP, many people simply do not have fun with doing the same calculations all over again. So, why not taking the positive aspects of "computer games" if possible )
    Yes, video games started out as basic text strings, I remember. DM-less adventures are already a thing in the TTRPG world. Not everyone can find a group that they fit and enjoy playing with.

Automation is indeed a great thing to be able to use, like you said, not everyone loves number crunching. But some people do.

My standpoint, is don't force the change. Isometric maps are cool, if you like them. Top down maps are great, if you like those. 3d walkthroughs of ancient ruined strongholds, (let's be honest) sounds amazing, but would crash most DM's systems. Trying to pass that much data, to however many players they have, over an already strained internet connection. Just not something that I, or any of my groups, would be interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Fear Grounds View Post
    I absolutely agree. Making the game easier to set up is always a good thing.

Yes, video games started out as basic text strings, I remember. DM-less adventures are already a thing in the TTRPG world. Not everyone can find a group that they fit and enjoy playing with.

Automation is indeed a great thing to be able to use, like you said, not everyone loves number crunching. But some people do.

My standpoint, is don't force the change. Isometric maps are cool, if you like them. Top down maps are great, if you like those. 3d walkthroughs of ancient ruined strongholds, (let's be honest) sounds amazing, but would crash most DM's systems. Trying to pass that much data, to however many players they have, over an already strained internet connection. Just not something that I, or any of my groups, would be interested in.
    Ah, yes, with that I completely agree of course One should never force certain playstyles and assets etc. The more (good) options there are, the better

If someone really wants a full immersive 3D world for the game, could build one on a minecraft server, and then have all the RPG character sheets and dice rolling on a second monitor through FG, how much RAM would that love eating up

EDIT: minecraft could be quite a good map maker in creative mode, build things without roofs, fly up and take a screen shot to export for use. but a bit to square for caverns/natural dungeons in my opinion
    Last edited by Marquis_de_Taigeis; February 1st, 2021 at 18:05. Reason: extra though

Quote Originally Posted by RocksFall View Post
    I used FG for quite few months. And enjoyed my time with it. But have now moved on to a 3D tabletop. What im using now, for me anyways, is light years ahead and is more suited for our needs & HB system.
    So you wrote all that and you're not even going to mention the name of this amazing magical superior software you found and love so much? Um....

One of the problems is that the more the focus shifts to graphics, the better the players' computers will have to be to accommodate it. I've already had people leave the group because they felt FGU was already more than their computer could handle.

Quote Originally Posted by similarly View Post
    One of the problems is that the more the focus shifts to graphics, the better the players' computers will have to be to accommodate it. I've already had people leave the group because they felt FGU was already more than their computer could handle.
    I'll second that statement!

I've already had players who had to upgrade their computers in order to use the Unity engine. If we all have to have "gaming computers" in order to use Fantasy Grounds, then it's going to limit the community.

I am a big fan of the 2D aspect of the maps, characters and overall flow of movement. I would think most 3D builds would be similar to old school dungeon crawls where you are walking with walls moving past.

Similar to the posts above me, I play sometimes on my laptop and I know it would not be able to handle a 3D concept map. A person shouldn't have to worry if their gaming set-up can run a specific software, especially the younger generation just getting involved.

But, I recognise that there is a certain set of individuals who is looking for that. Thats's great! That is what makes us all different.

A 3D engine made for VTT RPG should be able to output both 3D and 2D top down graphics for players to chose. The game map is still the same, just viewed differently. Similar to the ongoing Kickstarter of Dungeon Alchemist tool which has a separate tread here. It can output flat 2D maps. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...on-alchemisttm

The 3D doesn't need to be advanced graphics. You can even get away with 2D characters, like the Wildermyth game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlKcicO2-Gc Paizo Pawn packs might fit something like this f.e.

That said, it will be a lot more complex and costly to develop. We will probably get it some time in the future, seeing how VTT became a lot more popular getting more money into the business. But it's not impossible. As a computer game reference, the very popular computer game Valheim, with a open world procedural 3D engine was mainly made by a studio with 5 people. https://store.steampowered.com/app/892970/Valheim/ and the computer version of the boardgame Gloomhaven is also made with a very small studio https://store.steampowered.com/app/780290/Gloomhaven/

Thread Information