Starfinder Playlist
Page 4 of 10 First ... 23456 ... Last

Thread: Why no 3D?

Quote Originally Posted by Frunobulax View Post
    "Way more important"? As hard as I try, I can never understand why dynamic lighting is considered so freaking important by so many people. Personally I'd much rather see my 3D character being menaced and surrounded by a bunch of 3D orcs than looking at dumb light and dark spots on a map. And as you say, dynamic lighting would be WAY better in 3D
    Ah, that is just due to that it also has mechanical influences (whether someone has some sort of concealment, surprise rounds due to who sees first, and so on), it arises often and is not unimportant for combat but tedious to check manually (especially when one wants to be very correct in the details) So, you can also think of dynamic lighting as combat automation in that regard, or at least an auxiliary tool So, it is not just about atmosphere in that regard

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frunobulax View Post
    I'm sorry, ...
    Discussion moved to private messages.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I have to say i find you seem to have missed some of the point of there being, theater of the mind, as an intrinsic aspect of RPing.

Like this:
    show me a 3d environment, that would live up to this GM description for every player at the same table:

You enter a room where the geometry of the walls does not seem to make any sense to you. The carvings appear to move and yet do not. There is an other worldly light seeping out of the edges of the strange creatures carved into the walls that at once seem to make a normal room of describable shape and size, and yet when you try to make sense of it in your mind you wold be hard pressed to say if you were actually walking on the floor or maybe one of the walls.

And many other times in the fantasy/far flung sci-fi future, where nothign we have ever seen to date would suffice to replace the verbal description and theater of the mind it creates. That becomes exactly what each listener needs to see in their own mind's eye, to get what the setting is.

more show them visual details, that are say, imagination aids, may help in some ways but also intrinsically limits just how fantastical you could get with it.

"the likes of which no human as ever seen beofre."
    is basically impossible to show us, we have to imagine it.

Quote Originally Posted by A Social Yeti View Post
    I have to say i find you seem to have missed some of the point of there being, theater of the mind, as an intrinsic aspect of RPing.

Like this:
    show me a 3d environment, that would live up to this GM description for every player at the same table:

You enter a room where the geometry of the walls does not seem to make any sense to you. The carvings appear to move and yet do not. There is an other worldly light seeping out of the edges of the strange creatures carved into the walls that at once seem to make a normal room of describable shape and size, and yet when you try to make sense of it in your mind you wold be hard pressed to say if you were actually walking on the floor or maybe one of the walls.

And many other times in the fantasy/far flung sci-fi future, where nothign we have ever seen to date would suffice to replace the verbal description and theater of the mind it creates, that is exactly what each listener needs to see in their own mind's eye, to get what the setting's vibe.

more show them visual details, that are say, imagination aids, may help in some ways but also intrinsically limits just how fantastical you could get with it.

I think Gary Gygax told a story along these lines - a few children where asked if they preferred TV or radio, and one of the kids said "radio, because the pictures are better"

Blog Entries
    Adding a way to display 2D assets in 3D space (what we are calling 2.5D) is probably the first step. After that, adding support with built-in libraries of 3D assets is probably next. Having 3D assets specific to all the various releases we have each year is probably not something I would expect anytime soon. Pathfinder Kingmaker is a great game and they spent years creating all the great 3D assets for what amounts to 6 adventure modules. We released 301 products so far this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    Adding a way to display 2D assets in 3D space (what we are calling 2.5D) is probably the first step. After that, adding support with built-in libraries of 3D assets is probably next. Having 3D assets specific to all the various releases we have each year is probably not something I would expect anytime soon. Pathfinder Kingmaker is a great game and they spent years creating all the great 3D assets for what amounts to 6 adventure modules. We released 301 products so far this year.
    thank you

And I get more and more excited

"You may quest the way you like, I will quest the way I like."
    ~Thadeous, Your Highness 2011

Some people like 3d, some don't. Not sure why there was so much condemnation on the topic. The OPs enjoyment of this upcoming feature shouldn't impact your ability to use FG as you always have. Everyone wins.

Quote Originally Posted by A Social Yeti View Post

Like this:

And many other times in the fantasy/far flung sci-fi future, where nothign we have ever seen to date would suffice to replace the verbal description and theater of the mind it creates. That becomes exactly what each listener needs to see in their own mind's eye, to get what the setting is.

The same you could also say about 2d maps, but also there we simply describe anything extra which is not shown on the map I understand your point though, when an image is showing something opposite or something not well-fitting enough, then it disturbs the imagination; but one can revert that: Often I can simply not imagine something by its description or I, as DM, am unable to describe something, then images help
    To finish my answer also with a fancy sentence: "A picture is worth a thousand words"

One needs both, and the more helping tools the better What a certain group needs and wants, depends on the group
    Last edited by Kelrugem; November 20th, 2020 at 16:44.

Quote Originally Posted by DM_BK View Post
    "You may quest the way you like, I will quest the way I like."
    ~Thadeous, Your Highness 2011
    Great quote!
    3D is in the pipeline already. Has been for a few years now. But development of FGU while keeping backward compatibility with FGC means things go slower. Now that is done, things will move faster.

Its not 3d as such but i scratch this 'itch' by using isometric dungeon maps and figures. I was using them on zoom calls via photoshop but find it all seems to work just as well importing them as maps and tokens to FGU. I like isometric as it shows different levels better, even simple things such as balconies. I think the 'look' is the most important thing when gaming online. In person, you have the interaction of other people in the room etc so then its not so important (at least not for me) but if your going to be on computers anyway, then id like to aim at using the machines to the best of 'my' (limited) ability. As said, isometric tends to do that for me. I run a series of different 'shots' - top down, isometric, image etc depending on the need.

Thread Information