5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Green Links in Player Module Not There?

I created a module with some images that have shared links--green ones. If I share the images from the GM side, the players can see the green, public links.

If, on the other hand, I create a player module with the same images and green links and a player loads the player module, the green links are not there.

Why would links, ones that the players are allowed to see, not show up in a player module that they're allowed to load?
    Last edited by zuilin; November 17th, 2020 at 15:22.

Blog Entries
    Probably because the assumption in the code is that links should not be shared when a module is exported hence they are reset to unshare during the export process. There was recently an issue where a DLC product had shared links by mistake. Changing the export (or import?) process may have been the solution. I don't know.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Probably because the assumption in the code is that links should not be shared when a module is exported hence they are reset to unshare during the export process. There was recently an issue where a DLC product had shared links by mistake. Changing the export (or import?) process may have been the solution. I don't know.
    Interesting. I would think that if a link is green--viewable to the users when a map/image is shared--it should also be shared in an export of the same into module format. Any other assumption doesn't make sense.

Red links export into GM-only modules--they're for the GM. Why shouldn't green ones--ones available to players--when exporting a player module?

FGC or FGU?

As this is a technical question about FG funtionality it might be best to post questions like this in the relevant House of Healing (Classic or Unity) sub-forum.

Let us know what version of FG you're using and we can move the thread.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

FGU. I figured it was a development question, but you're right. Probably best over there. Thanks!

I’m a bit unsure on what you are trying to achieve. If the module is a player module then you don’t need to share the links; they’ll be able to use them because all the material is in the module that you exported.

You only need to share a link in a campaign where you are sharing whatever the link is on (like a story entry for example) and you want the players to be able to use the link (of course whatever it links to also needs to be shared).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I’m a bit unsure on what you are trying to achieve. If the module is a player module then you don’t need to share the links; they’ll be able to use them because all the material is in the module that you exported.

You only need to share a link in a campaign where you are sharing whatever the link is on (like a story entry for example) and you want the players to be able to use the link (of course whatever it links to also needs to be shared).
    Exactly--but it's not working.

Let's say I have an image and drop a link to an entry in the SRD; voila--a red link appears. Then I right-click it and turn it green so that players can see it, too, if I were to share the image. I share the image and the players can see it, they can see the green link, and when they click the green link, the SRD page opens up and they see the entry. (An entry from the Reference Manual, for example.)

Now, rather than sharing the image, I'd rather export the image into a player accessible module. I export the module with the checkbox enabled to make it a player module. The player loads up, sees the module in their Modules library, and Loads it. Now, they see that the image from earlier exists in their Images list. They click it, and... no green links. They see the image, but not the green links.

Export the image without sharing the links. Leave them red. The players will then be able to see the links and use them. You only need to share links inside a campaign. As notes above it may be the case that you cannot export a shared link. It’s not something that you would ever need to do in a player facing module. You’d only need to share a link in something which the players would not normally have access to.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Export the image without sharing the links. Leave them red. The players will then be able to see the links and use them. You only need to share links inside a campaign. As notes above it may be the case that you cannot export a shared link. It’s not something that you would ever need to do in a player facing module. You’d only need to share a link in something which the players would not normally have access to.
    That is interesting.

I'm going to try that. It's quite counterintuitive, but if it works, then great!

It appears that, in fact, my initial instincts were correct...

BUT... the problem was found because the original module was exported from FGC and run in FGU. In that case, the links, red or green, don't show up on the player side. However, green links exported into a player module on FGC show up in FGC. Green links exported into a player module in FGU show up in FGU. But green links exported from FGC do not show up in FGU.

Thanks for making me think this through, Zacchaeus. Now I just need to generate two different versions of my module.

Thread Information