5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Fantasy Grounds on Apple Silicon and future IOS port for Ipad?

With the advent of Apple's M1 chip when (I understand prob not soon) would a port be started and if possible could an IOS/IPAD version be created? Since creating an IOS version would still be usable on MAC.

Playing FG on my Ipad or Android tablet would be amazing.

Discussion here.

Short take, don't expect it until some time next year at the earliest for the native client (it should work with Rosetta 2, depending on how good it is).

As far as iOS/iPadOS is concerned, I personally would not hold out a lot of hope.

Maybe they can figure out a way around Apple's onerous requirements, but I kind of doubt it.

Basically what it boils down to is that Smiteworks will have to provide every piece of DLC for Apple to vet (this is what is currently preventing Stadia and XCloud from being on iOS) . They will have to do so if they want to be able to sell things via the App on iOS (they would also have to give Apple 30% of all DLC sales). Maybe they can try the web workaround, but again, I would not expect a lot there.

Additionally, they will not be able to support any extensions on iOS unless those developers also want to submit their code to Apple.

Thank you for the well-explained answer. Makes sense and will plan accordingly.

Just to be clear, I do not speak for SmiteWorks. They may have some ideas.

I am just speaking as someone that has followed some of the other companies struggles with Apple. If Amazon, Google, and Microsoft cannot get Apple to allow them to stream games, it does not seem to me to bode well for smaller developers (like SmiteWorks).

Android may be easier in the long run. They still have the 30% requirement, but I do not think the Play Store has as strict requirements around the code itself (which has unfortunately bitten Google a bunch of times with the amount of malware in the Play Store).

A few days ago, I‘ve used FG on my iPad via Remote Desktop. I used it mainly to draw LoS lines with the Apple Pencil. It worked great and the Apple Pencil ist fantastic for anything that isn‘t a straight line.
    So please, make a native iPad-App happen. There is so much potential here. FG ist the only reason that I still need a normal PC.

Can't speak to an iOS version of Fantasy Grounds, but I just finished my first session in Unity run on my M1 Mac mini and encountered no significant issues, even using the 'Roll for Initiative' extension. Rosetta 2 should allow you to run the existing Mac version of FGU, at least until it gets updated to native Apple Silicon.

I expect our next session will move onto the first map I've tweaked to use the LOS tools, which will hopefully also go smoothly.

--
    Pauper

Wouldn't a client only (no hosting) native client get around most of the Apple approval issues? Client don't buy the content.

Quote Originally Posted by DM_BK View Post
    Wouldn't a client only (no hosting) native client get around most of the Apple approval issues? Client don't buy the content.
    Yes it seems like it would get around the requirements for content plus most people interested in getting FG on iPad are client/players. I know as the GM I need to have lots of windows open across two screens to run CoC efficiently. I’d never try and GM on a tiny screen.

Thread Information