DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last
    I frequently have issues with FGU crashing on launch on my M1 Mac mini. Usually running the updater fixes the problem. Last week I did have to remove the FantasyGrounds application file from the applications/smiteworks/Fantasy Grounds folder and re-run the updater (which downloaded the app again) which fixed the issue. I guess Rosetta doesn't like something about the FGU update process.

I'm also pleased to report that the previous crashing the wi-fi issues I was having appear to have been resolved when I replaced my router and was able to Ethernet cable up. Ran a session last Friday without any issues at all and MUCH quicker than my old Mac mini. Really looking forward to native support 'cause it should really fly!

No, but I did figure it out. New M1 and, of course the first thing I did was try to get FG installed and it didn't work. But then I updated the OS. After that it opened the Fantasy Grounds .pkg file, asked to install Rosetta, then installed FG. Now FG runs fine. Blazingly in fact. I haven't migrated my campaign data yet or host a game, but seems good so far.
    TheEldritchPress.com
    Editions 1st-5th since '79
    Running on a Mac. Yup, I'm one of those guys

Quote Originally Posted by Graylock View Post
    No, but I did figure it out. New M1 and, of course the first thing I did was try to get FG installed and it didn't work. But then I updated the OS. After that it opened the Fantasy Grounds .pkg file, asked to install Rosetta, then installed FG. Now FG runs fine. Blazingly in fact. I haven't migrated my campaign data yet or host a game, but seems good so far.
    Hey there, do you have any experience with older MacBooks? I have a 2015 MacBook Pro i7, and it runs FGU fine except that the fans go crazy when I run it, and the thing really heats up. I’m afraid that if I run it for long periods of time I’ll ruin my MacBook. I checked the CPU in Activity Monitor and it’s running between 60 and 110%. Do you have that issue with the new M1 Chip?

Quote Originally Posted by ryatat View Post
    Hey there, do you have any experience with older MacBooks? I have a 2015 MacBook Pro i7, and it runs FGU fine except that the fans go crazy when I run it, and the thing really heats up. I’m afraid that if I run it for long periods of time I’ll ruin my MacBook. I checked the CPU in Activity Monitor and it’s running between 60 and 110%. Do you have that issue with the new M1 Chip?
    I have player with old MacBook and Unity is such power hog there -- the battery is over in less than half an hour, fans cause lift off and the only way to lessen the pressure on the machine is to use the /vsync command to reduce the frames, but this makes the whole experience shoddy
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

I ran FG and FGU on a 2012 mac mini for years. The fans ran constantly and increased/decreased when maps were opened. The 2012 mini had a bog standard intel integrated graphics chip and only a i3 two-core processor. The M1 Apple silicon blazes in comparison without a fan and it doesn't produce any noticeable heat. Other graphic intensive applications, like using DungeonFog, InDesign, LogicPro and other heavy applications, has no lag and super performance. I have yet to encounter an incompatibility issue with any applications. So far this has been incredible. They must have their hands on a crashed UFO and revere engineered it into the M1 silicon.
    TheEldritchPress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Graylock View Post
    I ran FG and FGU on a 2012 mac mini for years. The fans ran constantly and increased/decreased when maps were opened. The 2012 mini had a bog standard intel integrated graphics chip and only a i3 two-core processor. The M1 Apple silicon blazes in comparison without a fan and it doesn't produce any noticeable heat. Other graphic intensive applications, like using DungeonFog, InDesign, LogicPro and other heavy applications, has no lag and super performance. I have yet to encounter an incompatibility issue with any applications. So far this has been incredible. They must have their hands on a crashed UFO and revere engineered it into the M1 silicon.
    That’s awesome! I’m am probably going to get one just based on your feedback. Which MacBook are you using? Air? Pro? Mini? Thanks again

I have the Air and output FGU to a 31" screen at highest resolution as I am running google Meet on the laptop screen. The laptop isn't even getting warm. Crazy
    TheEldritchPress.com

Hello there, sorry to revive this thread, but the comments are 2 month old and im curious how Unity is performing in the M1 for you guys, my DM bought one and I am afraid of crashs and bad performance. We are trying to "revive" or old table, and its his only machine. I know I am suffering from anticipation as he have not tested it yet, but any suggestions or help for possible problems based on your experience would be appreciated. thanks.
    Last edited by Bald Fraud; March 3rd, 2021 at 03:08.

M1 mini here, it works with flawless grace

Still working great. Only issue I've had since I got my M1 was that it stopped launching. But launching the Updater app directly, updated, then launching it from there fixed it. Actual gameplay is flawless.

Thread Information