STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

How does FG Unity run on the Macs that were announced 11/10/2020 (the M1 chip)

The title says it all.

I assumed you meant a month ago (11th October) and was about to say that's too soon to tell but you actually meant two hours ago. So the previous sentence says it all.

And welcome to FG.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Apple doesn't give folks like SmiteWorks early access to computers before they announce them to the public. And if I understand correctly, they don't even plan to give their early access partners access to it until the end of the month.

After the hardware is actually available (next year maybe?), then the developers at Unity will have to see how the Unity Engine runs on the architecture, and make any needed changes to their engine. Then SmiteWorks can update their code to use the new Unity Engine at that point, and of course test that it works.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I would say that it probably depends on just how good Apple's x86-64 emulation is on the new M1 chip.

I would not expect it to work natively (i.e. without emulation) until the underlying Unity Engine has been fully updated to support the M1 chip.

The Unity Engine is still beta as far as native support for Apple silicon is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    After the hardware is actually available (next year maybe?)
    Was this copying a quote from somewhere else? Because the Apple store claims that the M1 devices are to be delivered before the end of this month.

Having said that, I agree that it's way too early to be asking how this program will behave on the M1 devices as nobody (who didn't get one of the preview devices, and even then I suspect there would be NDAs preventing people from talking) has one yet. I'd sorta hope Smiteworks gets a unit quickly, but I wouldn't expect an answer to this question until the beginning of December.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagix View Post
    Was this copying a quote from somewhere else? Because the Apple store claims that the M1 devices are to be delivered before the end of this month.
    A quick Google gave me a Tweet from Apple saying something to that effect. But I only took about 20 seconds and could have misread it... and probably did

Hence why I tried to qualify my statement with this ;
    And if I understand correctly
    Happy to be wrong

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Hm.... I am surprised there are multiple posts about whether the machines exist.....

Big Sur beta releases, etc have been available since WWDC (so spring-ish?) where they confirmed the machines were coming this year and set out test kits (anyone with a developer license could get them). Apple world's been insane with speculation (of course), Bloomberg and Forbes have had articles and think pieces, usual leaks, mock ups, etc.

This week Apple did the "official" launch with the normal Tim Cook presentation, consumer machines are on sale and shipping, etc. There are multiple ways to get a program running (universal, using Rosetta 2, etc) that were announced during WWDC and confirmed again in the keynote (and probably elsewhere).

If it's like "we're a small company we haven't looked at it" then that's the answer. Obviously I'm sad, b/c I kickstarted b/c mac-support. But it may be that the answer is just Rosetta2 "just works".

I'd imagine that the people who posted aren't Apple users so aren't paying attention to what they are announcing; which may be why there is speculation about the existence of the machines. I am guilty here as well and probably shouldn't have posted but I still think that it's too early to tell.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

We are a small company; and other than the announcement, we haven't really looked at it for several different reasons.
    * Since we have been heads down working towards FGU release this month and starting on the next cycle, we have not had any bandwidth to explore this.
    * Also, since we are using Unity as the game engine for FGU, we are dependent on them having a final version before we can build a native version.
    * So, even with new hardware and tools from Apple, we can't do anything without Unity supporting the platform.

My assumptions and hopes at this point are:
    * The native emulation for the new hardware and OS will run existing Mac applications for the short term.
    * The Unity game engine will have the ability to build native applications for the new hardware by Q1 2021.
    * We can use the Unity game engine to build a "universal" application using our existing Mac hardware.

So, we'll know more as actual consumer hardware hits the streets (which is not even available for sale until next week).

Regards,
    JPG

Well any new mac with Apple silicon will have Rosetta 2 for X-86 emulation, until they decide that it’s no longer required. Apple are suggesting 2 years before the complete switch. For them, waiting for the big player Adobe, will be key, but they did the same when they switched from power pc to intel about 15 years ago.

The good news is that apps made for iPad and iPhone, can run natively on the new macs without any changes.

Thread Information